The Ultima Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

PostieDoc

The Ultima Games

Post by PostieDoc » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:07 pm

I love cRPGS and classics like Baldurs Gate, Eye of the Beholder and Fallout but never got around to playing the Ultima series of games.

Ultima 7 keeps popping up in all time greats lists and so I am very tempted to buy it from GOG.
The thing is, I like to play every game in a series in order and I was wondering just how playable the rest of the Ultima games are these days?

I know the graphics are going to be pretty poor due to the games ages but how does the UI hold up?

Also Ultima Underworld, where does that fit in to the series?
Is it worth me buying all the Ultima games or should I just bite the bullet and stick with number seven?

Thanks in advance.

llj

Re: The Ultima Games

Post by llj » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:41 am

Ultima 7 has the best "world" building of any Ultima game out there, but the battles are pretty much just everyone automatically ganging up on an enemy until he dies. Party members also whine about being hungry a lot. Personally, U7 is my favorite Ultima game, but like I said, it has some annoying issues.

Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 are very good games. It's a first person RPG series, but a lot of people consider it the best games in the franchise and some of the best CRPGs of all time. It's a standalone pair of games, having little to do with the main series. They are very dungeon oriented like Eye of the Beholder.

I think Ultima 4-7 are the best games in the main series, but I think Ultima 4, especially for the PC, is dated in several negative ways. The NES version of Ultima 4 is actually more playable in some ways. 1-3 are way too primitive, and 8-9 have tons of issues.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:08 pm

I prefer the Underworld games to the main series myself. They are "dungeon crawlers" but good at what they do, given historical context and suitable expectations. There is also Arx Fatalis, a very good modern spiritual successor to the Underworld games. I tried to get into the Ultima games but I kinda couldn't (I'm not big on RPGs if that explains things).

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:32 am

I had a quick bash at the first three Ultima games a few months ago. They still play quite well but the only thing I struggled with was that they used keyboard input to move the MC around. That's fine if you play your emulators on a PC and you don't mind playing using the KB but I was on a console and really wanted joystick controls.

If you're ok with that - I think you'll enjoy them. The simplicity of the art really doesn't take away from the experience IMO as my imagination just kicked in and did its job - just as it did 25 odd year ago. :)

skylarking

Post by skylarking » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:26 am

Purely for nostalgic reasons, the one I like the most is Akalabeth (aka Ultima 0), as I played it a lot on Apple IIe. However, it's very primitive in comparison to the later games. If you want an original copy though, you'll need a fair bit of money...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321268533865?ss ... 1423.l2649
ENTER IF YOU DARE
PRESS ANY KEY

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:26 pm

I'm a fan, I've always liked the ultima series. Just started a new game of U7 on me Snes emu. UO best mmo ever thats official. Weirdly the single player ultima I spent the most time on was Pagan, Ultima 8. the game got allot of hate but for some reason I loved it? ! weird.
Scott me up beamie!

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:30 pm

I've got a lovely big box collectors edition of ultima 5 in the loft. It's got coins and maps and all sorts in it. gutting really because you needed a 1 meg ST to play it, I couldnt even play it today my ST's ancient!
Scott me up beamie!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:12 pm

If you llike classics like Baldurs Gate, try Icewindale I&II and Planescape Torment

If you like fallout 1 and 2 , try Lionheart

If you like Eye of the Beholder try Dungeon Master, Chaos Strikes Back and Lands of Lore

Tbh I would play all these before Ultima. Although the Ultima series is good, it was far superceded by newer games imho.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"