50hz is horrible.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Provvidenza

Re: 50hz is horrible.

Post by Provvidenza » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:50 am

I agree Mootown, I've never noticed the speed up on PAL DVDS myself, but it is there, rather anoyingly.
GB COLOR, GBA SP, MD PAL, SF NTSC-J, SNES PAL, PS1 MOD, PSone PAL, SATURN NTSC-J, SATURN PAL, N64 NTSC-J, N64 PAL, DREAMCAST PAL, PS2 MOD, GAMECUBE NTSC-J, GAMECUBE PAL, Wii PAL, XBOX 360E PAL.

davyK

Post by davyK » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:03 pm

Those games that were "Made in the UK" and thus were fine in PAL such Wipeout, Worms and RARE N64 games - there is no problem with those - in fact PAL may be the best way to experience them (Dropzone on NES in PAL is lovely). 8bit micro games? Built for PAL. No problems.

It is games that were built for 60Hz and butchered to play on PAL that I have a problem with. When it comes to these games if you didn't know any better (and I didn't) then it was OK - and for certain types of games like RPGs it really didn't matter....however once my eyes were opened I find I just can't go back - particularly for those games where speed is intrinsic to the game.
Last edited by davyK on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

Balders

Post by Balders » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:40 pm

Provvidenza wrote:I agree Mootown, I've never noticed the speed up on PAL DVDS myself, but it is there, rather anoyingly.
I love it. Think of all the slightly speeded up PAL releases you've watched over the years. Think of all the extra little ~5 minute chunks of time you've saved. Now think of the things you can do with that extra time! I'm using one of my extra time chunks to type this valuable post.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:11 pm

Personally I don't care about the frame rates - If I enjoy the game, then I enjoy the game - whether it's 1Hz of 10,000,000Hz...
Where logic won't work, I will