50hz is horrible.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

GigaPepsiMan

50hz is horrible.

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:09 pm

So long story short I recently got a DVD recorded so I've been using it to record gameplay, sadly most DVD recorders only seem to record in 50hz and will break down if yuo try and force 60hz, this mean I have to play games in 50hz and I tell you what it is horrible. I love Burnout 2 on gamecube and can pull off a boost start almost every time I race when playing at full speed 60hz but then beause I am recording I turn it to 50hz and getting boosts becomes impossible, I seem to play a lot of games worse at 50hz probably because the timings change, Super Monkey Ball was another game that I did terribly at when played in 50hz.

Now I can see why it is such a big deal to some people.

Roo

Re: 50hz is horrible.

Post by Roo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:12 pm

I never actually noticed this back when I was in primary school - I knew the term '50hz' from Gamesmaster and N64 Magazine, but didn't know what it meant. I was none the wiser. I'd only find out in the early days of the Wii, when folk went mental at the shoddy Virtual Console versions of the likes of Wave Race 64 and Sonic The Hedgehog. I too can see why it's a big deal to people - you want to play the games you pay for in their best state, right? - but I can't recall it ever being a gamebreaker. Those games I mentioned are still great.

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:18 pm

It's funny you mention Burnout, as that's the only game I tried at 60Hz on my Playstation (Burnout Revenge on the PS2 I think it was - it had an option as it loaded, or something), and it was so horrendous bad quality I had to immediately reset it and put it back to normal before my eyes started bleeding.

It was the same with the Amiga when I tried it.

I've never seen it look anything but a complete mess, but I guess if you have an NTSC screen and 60Hz console it would look better, but still NTSC crappy quality.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:27 pm

Gamecube has always been good at doing 60hz from what I've seen. PS2 doesn't do 60hz very well.

davyK

Post by davyK » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:35 pm

PS2 at 60Hz is NTSC - even with a PAL machine. GC at 60HZ is PAL60.

However I couldn't say the PS2 is a poor experience at 60Hz/NTSC - far from it in fact - shmups like Dragon Blaze and Raiden III play splendidly. If you try Taito Legends Bubble Bobble at 50Hz it is horrible - even the music is slowed down.

weakboson

Post by weakboson » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:38 pm

Yeah! To hell with it 50hz. I hate playing games at a slow speed, it makes me feel like I'm not getting the proper experience. With shmups I find it makes things easier, but then your scores/1CCs aren't the achievements they should be. Put me right off playing the PAL version of Shienryu because I don't want to put time and effort into a defective version.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:46 pm

weakboson wrote:Yeah! To hell with it 50hz. I hate playing games at a slow speed, it makes me feel like I'm not getting the proper experience. With shmups I find it makes things easier, but then your scores/1CCs aren't the achievements they should be. Put me right off playing the PAL version of Shienryu because I don't want to put time and effort into a defective version.
Funny you say that I found Soul Calibur II and Super Smash Bros Melee much easier at 50hz because it was easier to read opponents and beat them.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:53 am

Depends how well the game was optimised too. Hardly anyone bothered in the 8 and 16-bit days so most of us just had to enjoy/endure them as they were.
I'm so used to playing slow, squished versions of certain games that I can't get on with them in 60Hz; it upsets my rhythm.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:40 am

PS2 is okay in 60Hz with my experience, especially with a blisteringly-fast racer like Burnout Dominator.

However, I'm still able to go back to games I played originally in 50Hz and still play them in 50Hz because it's how I remember them. They may be better on a technical level in 60Hz or for first-timers but completely changing the 'feel' for a game I remember isn't something I tend to do.
Last edited by Megamixer on Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:58 am

I amazed Nakamura hasn't been summoned to this thread Candy Man style :lol:

Provvidenza

Post by Provvidenza » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:28 am

Buying Japanese versions of consoles and games to play on them is what rejuvenated my interest in retro gaming. 50hz PAL games were aceptable back in the day, while I totally see their nostalgia/collectability, and understand some PAL games can be forced to play at 60hz also. Now I only want to play the games as they were originally designed to be played, full screen and in 60hz.
GB COLOR, GBA SP, MD PAL, SF NTSC-J, SNES PAL, PS1 MOD, PSone PAL, SATURN NTSC-J, SATURN PAL, N64 NTSC-J, N64 PAL, DREAMCAST PAL, PS2 MOD, GAMECUBE NTSC-J, GAMECUBE PAL, Wii PAL, XBOX 360E PAL.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:24 pm

PAL 50Hz all the way here.

If I can get 10 fps as well I'm happy ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

davyK

Post by davyK » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:21 pm

We did get it bad since the beginning.....even the 2600 had a lot of games that weren't speed adjusted for PAL. I recently tried 60Hz Kaboom! and it's a totally different game and so much more difficult. 2600 Asteroids is an awful lot smoother to play too.

I found , for example, that most 3rd party SNES games didn't have any effort put into them for PAL -once you see something like Pop n Twinbee full screen and see how much more beautiful it looks you can't really go back. Actually I find the full size image much more noticeable than any increase in speed most of the time. Most 1st party Nintendo games got speed adjustment but not always ran full screen.

The Megadrive was a revelation to me once I got a console modded and also used RGB - it feels like a brand new machine! Sega appeared to have put no effort in for PAL at all - Sonic 1 in PAL really is awful once you try it at 60Hz.

Provvidenza

Post by Provvidenza » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:56 pm

Uncanny you should mention that davyK, just been enjoying a quick game of Pop n Twinbee on my newly aquired Super Famicom, the photo doesn't do the game justice but anyway...
GB COLOR, GBA SP, MD PAL, SF NTSC-J, SNES PAL, PS1 MOD, PSone PAL, SATURN NTSC-J, SATURN PAL, N64 NTSC-J, N64 PAL, DREAMCAST PAL, PS2 MOD, GAMECUBE NTSC-J, GAMECUBE PAL, Wii PAL, XBOX 360E PAL.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:10 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I amazed Nakamura hasn't been summoned to this thread Candy Man style :lol:
dont invoke him !

anyway i generally prefer 50 hz
the image otherwise looks oddly fuzzy a problem i have with my american ps 2

course this could be my tv
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !