Humble Origin Bundle!!!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

markopoloman

Humble Origin Bundle!!!

Post by markopoloman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:06 pm

There have been some good Humble Bundles over the years and there have been some excellent ones too.....

BUT this one is AMAZING! :shock:

For less than $5.00 (or whatever that is in £) you get:

Dead Space™

Burnout™ Paradise: The Ultimate Box

Crysis® 2 Maximum Edition

Mirror's Edge

Dead Space™ 3

Medal of Honor™

Battlefield 3™

The Sims™ 3

NOW, if that ain't a fantastic deal worth shouting about - then I'll eat my hat. (again). :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

silvergunner

Re: Humble Origin Bundle!!!

Post by silvergunner » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:09 pm

That is bloody good. Looking at that list you forget EA probably release more decent games than we can give them credit for. Even if a lot of it is not exactly original

weakboson

Post by weakboson » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:33 pm

This is a ploy to get people in bed with Origin and it may well work on me. At the moment I've decided to take the steam keys and run but some of those origin only games might get a look one day. Still it's an amazing deal. Furthermore in an entirely out of character move they are forfeiting their entire share of revenues to the charities: you still chose how your money is split, but there isn't an option to give any to EA!

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:59 am

They may be trying to improve public relations, or possibly (although unlikely) in financial trouble, like THQ last year with their bundle. The most likely is that these are games where the sales are near enough zero so they can sacrifice them to get the signup for Origin as has already been suggested.

That said $5 (or £3.33) for all the games is a steal!
HADDOCKEN!

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:20 am

Once you download the gme through Origin you can usually just associate it with your Steam account and launch it through there. Naturally Origins servers fell over completely last night, finally got it working so I can download Dead Space 3.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:36 am

Yeah, it's a blatant plug for Origin, but a generous one. And you get Steam keys for five of the games too.

Also, unlike THQ, they're giving all the money to charity so it'd be rude not to.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:54 am

THQ were giving the money to the 'try desperately to stop THQ going out of business' charity.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:21 am

Treguard wrote:THQ were giving the money to the 'try desperately to stop THQ going out of business' charity.
I do remember saying at the time that it'd all end up in the hand of their administrators.

Misery

Post by Misery » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:49 am

That's not a bad list of games, for those that might be interested in the sorts that they're offering. Nothing I care about aside from Sims 3 which I already have, but still, it's a decent game list.

....be more decent if it was NOT on Origin though. Having used that unholy nightmare of a program many times now, I've found it to be not only every bit as awful as it's reputed to be, but actually WORSE. I'm not going to try to explain what I had to do JUST to install the Sims after I'd initially gotten it. This being because it'd take a whole page to do so. Hopefully nobody else here will have to deal with that bit.

Big hint though: BACK UP THE INSTALLERS. The ones for the games. Find where they are after they've been downloaded but BEFORE you let Origin start them up, because it has this amazing habit of IMMEDIATELY ERASING THEM when installation is complete. Which makes re-installation a massive hassle if you should need to do it at some point. There's an option to turn this "feature" off. This option is bugged and does nothing (Unless they've fixed it VERY recently).

If you can get things working with Steam instead, all the better. Running Origin as little as conceivably possible is a good idea.

big-byte

Post by big-byte » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:03 am

Thanks for the tips re the Origin software..

Have bought this bundle mainly for Battlefield 3 although Im a bit disappointed that there doesnt seem to
be a way of playing a private game with just my friends (unless you hire a server?)

I see on Origin that Battlefield 1942 is completely free to download as well. Is it any good?

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:23 am

I did buy the one that had Stealth B**sta!d deluxe in it (as my brother made the game), I've still not downloaded them :oops:
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.