Worst fall from Grace

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Matt_B

Re: Worst fall from Grace

Post by Matt_B » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:30 am

I think it's got to be Commodore. I was genuinely shocked when they went bust in 1994 and, despite many attempts to resuscitate the brand since, they've stayed down.

The recent declines of Nintendo and Sony seem mere stumbles in comparison, and even Atari and Sega remain going concerns in the modern games industry; albeit somewhat precariously in the former case.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:15 am

Core Design.

They made a lot of decent (if maybe not stellar) and enjoyable games like Rick Dangerous, Chuck Rock and Heimdall, finally hit the mother lode with Tomb Raider but then milked it and milked it and milked it until they were only a shadow of their former selves and and putting out crap like Tomb Raider: Chronicles (awful), Fighting Force 2 (worse than awful) and Tomb Raider: The Angel Of Darkness (urgh) which was so crap that Eidos actually gave the whole franchise to a different developer (Crystal Dynamics).
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:05 pm

Matt_B wrote:I think it's got to be Commodore. I was genuinely shocked when they went bust in 1994 and, despite many attempts to resuscitate the brand since, they've stayed down.

The recent declines of Nintendo and Sony seem mere stumbles in comparison, and even Atari and Sega remain going concerns in the modern games industry; albeit somewhat precariously in the former case.

Yep, I'd go along with that. Commodore at one time had the best selling home computer of all time(C64), the amazing success of the Amiga as well and also a PC business(which I think did make good money for them). Then they started with the misfires : - C64GS, C128(Good machine - but what's it for? The C64 had that part of the market - except for CP/M covered), CDTV(perhaps looking to the future with CDROM, but again another marketing failure), Amiga Unix(actually a very good product from them - but they didn't give it much support) and I think they both released the AGA machines too late, as well as making them underpowered(68020 compared with an Atari Falcon's 68030, not putting in a DSP for the sound and leaving out a high density floppy drive).

In comparison, Atari has had its ups and down(okay, at one time it was pretty much the entire videogaming industry with the early consoles and 8 bit XLs), but it is still in business today(in one way or another).

I suppose Sony have to be careful. They have their fingers in so many pies(Film studio, TV channels, electronics products, PS3/4, PSP, etc) - they probably have spread their resources too thinly.

Prof Mango B Coconut

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:11 pm

In purely British terms, you don't get much worse than what befell Sinclair. In a few short years Sir Clive's mob went from dominance to selling out to beardy "you're fired!" Sugar.
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:15 pm

Prof Mango B Coconut wrote:In purely British terms, you don't get much worse than what befell Sinclair. In a few short years Sir Clive's mob went from dominance to selling out to beardy "you're fired!" Sugar.
Yeah, it was just four short years between the launch of the Spectrum and the Amstrad sell-out.

That said, Sinclair Research is still going even if it's only making daft things like the A-Bike.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:21 pm

just one ?

evil

im torn between konami who went from excellent to mediocre

to capcom who still has what it takes but tends to squander ti all with either crap ( resident evil 6 ) or dlc shenanigans

to nintendo who went from relentless innovator to soul less franchise censored athon

or square who went down the crapper the moment they merged with enix in 2003

and i never rated rare that highly anyway other then goldeneye
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:29 pm

I'd also say Konami, from a strictly personal perspective, for the reasons others have stated.

Get_in_Gear

Post by Get_in_Gear » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:23 pm

snowkatt wrote:Or square who went down the crapper the moment they merged with enix in 2003
Even looking at the main Final Fantasy franchise alone... (And ignoring the online entries into the canon, which I have never played) to go from FFXII to FFXIII just baffles me.
I understand it's good to introduce change, and maybe the series was becoming incurably stagnant in its familiar format (as snowkatt says, since the demise of Squaresoft)... but, for me, FFXII addressed all of the problems with FFX and turned out to be something of a return to form - plenty of places to explore and revisit, side-quests to get involved in etc... and then FFXIII was such a massive step backwards.
On the surface they may look pretty similar games. But XIII is barely even a game - move your character in a straight line for a couple of steps to activate a cut-scene which will probably result in a battle you are likely to win. Then repeat ad nauseum.
It's the only game from the main series I have actually hated.

While not a fall from grace financially, for me, to go from all the good that had gone before, to such a crappy, linear, vaguely strategy-based beat-em-up is a pretty mighty fall in terms of quality and philosophy...
R Tape loading error, 0:1

[+[_]::]

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:18 pm

Electronic Arts. They should now be known as Electronic Arse.

Eat your nans pants

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:09 pm

Commodore.

They went from releasing the first home computer, then the first to sell a million, then the best 8-bit, then the best computer of all time, to then go bust. Then to rub sulphuric acid in the wound, Microsoft ended up taking over :evil:
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:46 am

Yeah EA don't get me wrong they were fantastic in the 16bit days. Lots of great franchises and not afraid to release new things. Rare I feel have always been overrated to some extent. Hated jet force. Not really thinking about it before did these company's go downhill when certain CEO's took over? Only takes one slap head to bring down a company

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:26 am

errolwd40 wrote:How about Sony?

The undisputed winners of the previous 2 generations, stumbled into the current gen with a machine (ps3) that was over £200 more pricey then the xbox 360, hardly any decent games for the first couple of years, a terrible online experience in the early days and to top it off the machine was really hard to program even to this day 360 ports usually come off better.

They recovered I think in late 2009 with the release of the slim console, reduction in price and at last loads of great games.

It was touch and go for a while but I think the are ready to reclaim number 1 spot.
I don't know much about Sony in recent years, I have been buying PS2 games just for the last year only. 100+ titles so far. More collecting than time to play them all so far.

But, at the time when it was released, I shook my head seeing the quality of games released on the Playstation 2. So slow, so few polygons and so bad looking compared to the Sega Dreamcast I owned. I didn't know the same happend to Playstation 3.

Looking back, even Playstation (1) games didn't look any good in the beginning. Is this a Sony-thing? Machines that takes a long time for the coders to get used to and code well on?

errolwd40

Post by errolwd40 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:32 am

Yes it is a sony thing. They make it this way so that the games will improve naturally over time.
It worked fantastically well for ps1 and ps2 but the ps3 was even harder to develop for and suffered as a result.

I must say that now the ps3 is my favourite current gen console and is finishing this gen really strongly, whereas the 360 came out punching in the early days but has suffered due to the corporate incompetence of their execs over the past 3 to 4 years.

Sony are well and truly back. :D

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:45 am

crusto wrote:Electronic Arts. They should now be known as Electronic Arse.
+1

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:24 pm

I would say Atari or sega. both completely lost their way, didn't know what they had or who to sell it too and made ridiculous decisions on hardware.

whilst I see why people are saying Nintendo they still make shed loads of cash. when the big hitters arrive on the wii u it'll sell, whether you like what they're doing or not.