Worst fall from Grace

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RodimusPrime

Worst fall from Grace

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:32 pm

Which Company do you feel has reached the pinnacle of the videogame industry, and then went on a downward spiral the worst.

Do you consider a sudden dramatic crash worse than a company desperatley struggling on life support for years making bad decision after bad decision,

Or maybe someone who has had to bow out of the console market after being so strong and start to develop for companies they were once rivals with.

Commodore, Atari, Sega, or even maybe Nintendo ( a lot of people see the way they chased after and compromised themselves to the casual market as a joke )

Which one is it for you?

koopa42

Re: Worst fall from Grace

Post by koopa42 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:35 pm

Comode

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:36 pm

Ultimate

I don't blame them for making lots of filmation games. Obvious they should milk it back then. But their last couple of games like Cyberun and Bubbler were shocking. Obviously went downhill once US Gold took them over but in the old days I would buy any ultimate game.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:41 pm

Not one particlular person or company, but a brand; Atari. What once stood for all that was good and great about gaming became one synonymous with censored.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:52 pm

Rare. During the N64 days, a new Rare game was something to look forward to. Now they're just a mere empty shell of it's former glory.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:11 pm

ALK wrote:Rare. During the N64 days, a new Rare game was something to look forward to. Now they're just a mere empty shell of it's former glory.
Disagree. Pinata was awesome, I'm not saying it's a saviour but it is awesome

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:35 pm

koopa42 wrote:
ALK wrote:Rare. During the N64 days, a new Rare game was something to look forward to. Now they're just a mere empty shell of it's former glory.
Disagree. Pinata was awesome, I'm not saying it's a saviour but it is awesome
It was indeed awesome, but can't really say the same about the other XBox games they made.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Misery

Post by Misery » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:41 am

Nintendo. But that's pretty obvious coming from me.

If I had to pick another one.... hmm. I think I'd have to go with Rare; there was a time when I saw their work as pure gaming gold, but now.... well, there's no reason for me to even bother keeping track of what they're doing these days, and there hasn't been for a long, long time.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:12 am

The one that sticks out for me is Konami, who on SNES / Megadrive / PC Engine were basically gods and everything they published was awesome. (Axelay, Contra, Gradius, Tiny Toon Adventures, Castlevania, Parodius etc) Also at this time (mid 80's - early 90's) they ruled in the arcades too - plenty of my all time fave arcade games are Konami - Salamander, Sunset Riders, Hyper Sports, GTi Club etc.

Then they went slowly downhill, until these days all they really have is Metal Gear (granted, still ace, but it's just one game) and Pro Evo stumbling along in the background plus a westernised version of Castlevania.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:21 am

Silicon Knights

How do you go from making Eternal Darkness and Twin Snakes in one gen and then in the next gen kill yourself by making Too Human and X-Men Destiny?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:25 am

Recent times would have to be Nintendo. From incredible domination with the Wii to being virtually invisible with the Wii-U...it's staggering.

Otherwise I would have nominated a post-Dreamcast Sega but in fairness they have been a lot better recently in terms of being both a dev and a publisher.

My personal nomination is Capcom. So many great games/franchises came from them in the 80's/90's and early-mid 2000's but lately it's amazing how many of their games are merely extremely average, incredibly divisive or wrapped up in DLC controversey. Don't get me wrong, they still do good things but are they as good as they were in the 90's? No chance.

Definitely agree with Atari too. All it seems to be these days are re-releases of the same games or those plug 'n play Flashback devices. Such a shame when Atari created so much that has shaped gaming into what it is today.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

thebear

Post by thebear » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:21 am

has to be Atari

They pretty much WERE the video game business at their peak
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Misery

Post by Misery » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:36 am

Mootown wrote:The one that sticks out for me is Konami, who on SNES / Megadrive / PC Engine were basically gods and everything they published was awesome. (Axelay, Contra, Gradius, Tiny Toon Adventures, Castlevania, Parodius etc) Also at this time (mid 80's - early 90's) they ruled in the arcades too - plenty of my all time fave arcade games are Konami - Salamander, Sunset Riders, Hyper Sports, GTi Club etc.

Then they went slowly downhill, until these days all they really have is Metal Gear (granted, still ace, but it's just one game) and Pro Evo stumbling along in the background plus a westernised version of Castlevania.

Ahaa, you know, I think you're right about this one.

I hadnt even thought of Konami... which is kinda the problem, they've fallen far enough as to not quite be relevant anymore. When they used to make such cool stuff all the time.

....that and I dont like certain recent Castlevania things, like that one that looks more like GoW to me, I forget what it's called.

Other than that ONE series though I never seem to hear about them like, at all.

errolwd40

Post by errolwd40 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:56 am

How about Sony?

The undisputed winners of the previous 2 generations, stumbled into the current gen with a machine (ps3) that was over £200 more pricey then the xbox 360, hardly any decent games for the first couple of years, a terrible online experience in the early days and to top it off the machine was really hard to program even to this day 360 ports usually come off better.

They recovered I think in late 2009 with the release of the slim console, reduction in price and at last loads of great games.

It was touch and go for a while but I think the are ready to reclaim number 1 spot.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:28 am

Sensible Software had a pretty drastic nose dive once the 3D generation came along. I bet Codemasters would be raking it in if Sensible Soccer and Cannon Fodder were updated for the iOS and Android market.