Do linear platform games have less long term appeal?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Spector

Do linear platform games have less long term appeal?

Post by Spector » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:50 am

Way back, and I mean way back, years before Nintendo reinvented video games in 1985, some of us remember a gaming scene built mainly on ideas looped over and over with increasing difficulty, such as Asteroids, Space Invaders, Pacman etc. Even games that did have an A to B like Donkey Kong did repeat themselves in the end, and the real aim was in the score counter. Then as the Eighties went on, narrative came into gaming so quickly that by the end of the decade the generic five level platformer was a major part of the industry. I do wonder if they have the same long term appeal as a really good repetitive single idea. The NES and (especially) Gameboy had tons of these platformers, virtually interchangeable with five levels or so, and once completed, there's nothing to remember. Yet time and again I found myself coming back to GB conversions of Asteroids and Bomb Jack, even though they have on paper far less content.

Now be honest - do you ever return to games that involve going from A to B, be they platformers or whatever, or do you think "right, that's it out of the way, onto the next one"? Because looking back, I can count on one hand the amount of console games of that nature I'd want to go through again.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

DPrinny

Re: Do linear platform games have less long term appeal?

Post by DPrinny » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:40 am

People are still playing the first Mario all these years later (Yes it is), so id say yes

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:41 am

Games are structured differently now too. Most linear platform games have plenty to find in each level which keeps gameplay going for years. There is something about finding all of the KONG letters or Yoshi coins that keeps me playing for sure.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:05 am

Speedruns have become increasingly popular, so older platformers are often perfect for such challenges. Some of the runs on youtube are incredible, others not so much especially when you notice cheats/tool assists in place. Its often about mapping the level designs in your head so multiple plays are required. It depends on what you want from a game though and the game itself. I know people that will never go back to a game once completed, and others that will play them again and again to explore everything on offer.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:23 am

Depends on the game. For classics like Sonic, then yes, I'll return to them over and over.

If its 'generic five level platformer', then no. As you say, it has to be a memorable experience to make you want to return.

It also depends what I want from a given gaming session. Score attack is great in those early 80s games, but it can be exhausting compared to pootling through some Mario levels.

While stuff like Donkey Kong may share elements of gameplay with later Mario style platforming, the essential goal of the games is different almost to the point of being a different genre. Why pick just one when they're for different things?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:26 pm

I play the PS1 Spyro the Dragon series annually so I think if you really love the game then its appeal won't be damaged regardless of the game's linear nature. I do however think that you need to leave modern platformers alone for longer before returning to them for another run-through. With the older games like SMB, you could still sense the arcade 'feel' to the game which made it quickly replayable whereas modern platformers with story, cut scenes and various tasks would get boring if re-played too often.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:26 pm

I don't think they do, not for me anyway. Regardless of the genre I think we want to re-experience the pleasure we accosciate with certain games. That's basically the reason I replay games, not really to improve a score, although that can a be a fun part of it aswell.

I understand the point of narrative , once the mystery of the story is revelaed then the story usually isn't as good the second time round. But the story is only one aspect to narative driven games, if it's a good game then the majority of the pleasure is still to be found in the gameplay, especially platformers which have pretty basic stories as it is.

Obviously though some gamers are done with narrative driven games once they finish their first play through, and I'd be interested to know how much knowing how the story ends infuences their decision to trade the game in, how that compares with other factors such as just wanting to play something new in it's place, or simply upgrading to the games's sequel.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:59 pm

Nintendo reinvented video games in 1985??

Did I miss that? :? :shock:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:10 pm

Spector wrote:Way back, and I mean way back, years before Nintendo reinvented video games in 1985,
Classic :lol: :lol: :lol:

This means I can only post one thing . . . . .

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:58 pm

markopoloman wrote:Nintendo reinvented video games in 1985??

Where have you been??!? Didn't you buy a Nintendo in 1985 like I did?? I thought everybody had one! Don't you remember the adverts on TV at the time? They used to show it just before Larry King came on.

:lol:

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:06 pm

Spector wrote:

Where have you been??!? Didn't you buy a Nintendo in 1985 like I did?? I thought everybody had one! Don't you remember the adverts on TV at the time? They used to show it just before Larry King came on.

I will never forget my first NES, it was 1985 and my mom and dad took me to the mall to spend my allowance on one. I was in the station wagon on the way home unwrapping it just hoping there was no traffic on the freeway. I bought 10 Yard Fight and me and my bro played that all day before the Super Bowl. I remember that day like it was yesterday, that 60 yard pass from Joe Montana was so rad.

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:07 pm

The Laird wrote:
Spector wrote:

I will never forget my first NES, it was 1985 and my mom and dad took me to the mall to spend my allowance on one. I was in the station wagon on the way home unwrapping it just hoping there was no traffic on the freeway. I bought 10 Yard Fight and me and my bro played that all day before the Super Bowl. I remember that day like it was yesterday, that 60 yard pass from Joe Montana was so rad.
Source!! Man, I dig you!!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:14 pm

I bought a NES at UK launch. When I realised how horrible it was, I sold it. It just seemed like a backwards step from my C64. :mrgreen:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Alarm

Post by Alarm » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:16 pm

I remember cleaning automobiles and doing a paper route just to buy my NES. I was so excited. I remember when I hooked the NES to my TV - the innovative controller felt so right and the games - the games! - were awesome!

I stayed up all night drinking root beer and listening to the Knicks on the radio while playing SMB. I even skipped baseball practice the next morning. My pop was so mad. It was totally gnarly!

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:29 pm

markopoloman wrote:I bought a NES at UK launch. When I realised how horrible it was, I sold it. It just seemed like a backwards step from my C64. :mrgreen:
I turned my back on 8bit computers the day I played on an NES.

Super mario, Double dragon 2, RC pro-am etc. plus instant loading, a controller that for me was a revelation compared to the joysticks at the time.

The very same christmas my cousin got a MS with double dragon, world soccer, choplifter and I knew I was in love with consoles.