Most played system.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GigaPepsiMan

Most played system.

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:26 pm

So it's hit me recently, we have a new generation of video games coming up, the current crop of games machines, PC's, steam, emulator and yet all I ever seem to play is my Gamecube, I do play other systems but they are on rotation, there will be a period where I play DS, then GBA, then PS1 then PC, then wii but thoughout all that I am still playing gamecube while I play all these other systems.

I don't even have a very big gamecube collection anymore, in fact I find myself going back to the early titles the most, we have all these newer fast racing games yet I always seem to play racing game wise burnout and waverace. Then there is super monkey ball which is my game to play when I don;t feel like playing games or doing anything else for that matter and it is just as good each time I play it. To add to that there are loads of games on the system that you forget are really good, I played a bit of viewtiful joe the other day to see if I still wanted it and now I'm tempted to do a playthrough.
I just can't stop playing on the system and I've nearly exhausted its library of games, I've owned and beaten fire emblem, chibi robo, zelda, skies of arcadia, tales of symphonia, mgs, just nearly everything that I had the patience to finish, there's only a few games I haven't had a good go at and that it only because I don't spend big on gamecube anymore and games like Time Splitters 2 have a high demand.

Most people I know give most of their time to newer games and I can understand that because a lot of stuff these days like any gen you need to play now otherwise they'll lose their impact later. Still 11 years on and I'm playing the same kind of games people were playing when they first got their gamecube and that is strange to think about, had I been a teen in 2002 the gamecube probably would have been even more spectacular to me.

koopa42

Re: Most played system.

Post by koopa42 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:31 pm

I reckon now? it would be PC (champ manager/emus/mame) or 360 (Battlefield 2:MC, Multiple PvPs and of course the Bethesda big boys not to mention 100 of hours not even playing but chatting LOL).

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:50 pm

ps 2 and ps 3

least played system is the cube
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:07 pm

Has to be the Lynx or the Mega Drive, not sure which but must be close between the 2 of them.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:12 pm

PS2. I have a lot of other systems 'on the go' but I always have something in the PS2 that I'm currently playing.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:16 pm

either Mega Drive,PS2 or PS3.i have no idea which it is though.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:26 pm

Gamecube for me, closely followed by the N64.

I did play the N64 a lot, especially Goldeneye and WWF No Mercy, (No Mercy was almost a daily ritual at one point), but I think I've played the even Cube more, I've just got far more great games for it.
GigaPepsiMan wrote:there's only a few games I haven't had a good go at and that it only because I don't spend big on gamecube anymore and games like Time Splitters 2 have a high demand.
I didn't know that was the case. Last time I checked (which would have been a couple of years ago) TS2 was still quite affordable, but Future Perfect was going for £20+. What irks me about the Gamecube is the very same multiplats will be 49p or 99p for the PS2 or Xbox, but then £5-10 for the Gamecube. I remember seeing Timesplitters 2 for the Xbox in Gamestation for 99p thinking what a bargain.
Last edited by pratty on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:27 pm

I only have a laptop, but thats up there simply because for Football manager.

then its the 360 and then its usually the NES or SNES for rtero related games.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:40 pm

My PS2's are usually played every week without fail. Mainly for quick blasts on fighting games. PC is great for Steam and its casual library (thank you humble bundles). I dont really play my PS3/PSP much anymore. PSP always has to be charged and PS3 always needs bloody updating!

Tucked away at the moment is the Dreamcast, N64, Gamecube & PS1 although the last 2 i can play on Wii and PS2/PS3

eeztheman

Post by eeztheman » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:18 am

It's still the SNES, but I've been on my PS3 a lot more than I used to as well

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:27 am

Strangely see myself playing a hell of alot of PS1 these days. Every day I try a new game out of the 100+ games I've bought over the past 2 years or so from cash converters or boot sales.

Currently working my way through all the amazing futuristic racers the console has to over - Next gen racing, and Rollcage to name a couple. Both of whihc blow wipeout out of the water

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:08 am

Historically, probably the SNES....back when I was younger and had even more free time to just sit and play games, I used to replay games time and time again even when I'd 100% beaten them, and then there's all the Street Fighter 2 and Super Mario Kart sessions that I used to have with my mates as well.

Nowadays, probably the 3DS as I've always got it with me when I leave the house and it's great for quick bursts here and there.

Emulation wise, I probably play PC-Engine games most. I never had one back in the day (always wanted one though) and only played it's games for the first time when they came out on the Wii Virtual Console, but I think many of them have stood the test of time brilliantly and love discovering ones I haven't played before or heard of every now and then.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:16 am

hard to say.

Amiga got some serious hours but them so did the c64,PS1,PS2 and the last few years the 360.

Never really been a huge PC gamer but the PC has the mighty Football Manager series and I have played that to death!!!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:30 am

In recent times it is split between the SNES and PS2 as most played system but the Wii and PS3 do see some time. Historically the SNES/PS1 and PS2 are my most played systems.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

ciderman

Post by ciderman » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:45 am

The Megadrive got a vast amount of play, and the PS2 was an incredible deliverer of quality gaming experiences over it's long lifetime, but I think, in the years I owned a ZX Spectrum, I spent days and nights on that thing, be it playing games or typing in infernal programmes from magazines!
Over the last 10 years the 360 has had the most play.

Also, not to forget, the Gameboy Pocket got a lot of gameplay, in the background to everything else.
Colecovision under repair! Superior Donkey Kong incoming!!