Multiple endings...do you bother with them?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Shinobi

Re: Multiple endings...do you bother with them?

Post by Shinobi » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:45 pm

Got all the endings on Clock Tower snes and most off the endings on Clock Tower 1 and 2 as I enjoyed the game a lot, can't think of many last gen games non arcade titles with multiple multiple endings other than Silent Hills and Resident Evils...

Lollipop Chainsaw I got both good and bad endings also got 1000g on it, same with Silent Hill Homecoming I got all the endings saved on Alex's Mother(kill her/don't kill her), Saved on Alex's father (forgive him/don't forgive him)

Splatterhouse got all the nude Jennifer pictures and finished on hard still got the exact same ending with Lenora's ghost taking over Jens body and becoming Vampire Jen - those lying gits on Game faqs saying there was 2 endings!!!!!

Again I can't think off any other current gen games with multiple endings unless stuff like COD and GTA (which I've never played/never will play will add!) have them.. I always thought they added collectables to force people to replay them for the 1000g as "Its all about the G"

I thought this gens gameplay mechanic is more like Fallout get to a certain level with good, bad or Neutral Karma
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:11 pm

It depends really.

If getting a different ending means you have to play a game in a different way and you get different cutscenes and a altered storyline along the way for doing so, or there's a 'New Game +' option where I can get a different ending by replaying a game with all the previous powerups and whatnot I earned during my previous playthrough (making the second playthrough much quicker and easier) then I'll bother if I enjoyed the game. If it's just a case of changing something minor for a slightly different ending, ie. I missed collecting some item or other that means I'll have to play through the exact same game again from scratch, or having to replay a 50hr+ RPG, then I'll just check Youtube.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:52 pm

I probably would have played through Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U again, until I found out that all the endings are largely identical.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:51 am

No. In fact, it completely puts me off playing certain games.

ciderman

Post by ciderman » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:38 pm

I could never bring myself to play through a game again to see the other endings.
I have too much of a backlog of titles, I couldn't spare the time.
So I got one ending in Silent Hill 2, luckily it was one of the good ones!

I think I might have used my final save in Super Metroid a long time ago to get a better ending though.....
Colecovision under repair! Superior Donkey Kong incoming!!

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:11 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:If getting a different ending means you have to play a game in a different way and you get different cutscenes and a altered storyline along the way for doing so...
Same here. A game that has different endings for playing as different characters, for example, is only any good if it actually makes a difference to how you play.

Probably the first game I really wanted to see another ending was Abe's Oddyssee. I seem to remeber there's a bad ending (<50%), good ending (>50%) and extended perfect ending (100%). Knowing that, I just tried to finish the game, then played it through again trying to get 100%. But it's only through tricks that you're forced to learn about later in the game that you can start again and find and rescue everyone. It gives you something more to do second time around. Abe's Exoddus has multiple endings, but it's such a big game, trying to play it again to get 100% just gets boring.

A lot of games nowadays are just too big to have the time to play them through again, and particularly Japanese games tend to put up preposterous demands of time from the player to get those elusive 100% ratings.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:45 pm

The most recent game i replayed to get a few of the numerous endings was Heavy Rain.
That was due to the engrossing storyline and i wanted to see what the outcome was, although technically they start becoming different endings part way through the game - if one of the characters dies at a certain point then they dont make the finale or if they were arrested then the same...so the challenge for me was to keep them to get the proper ending. Havent achieved it yet either but it ranks as one of my favourite games that i can play whenever i feel like.

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:43 am

Bubble Bobble. Like anyone ever got to see that ending anyway.

I know, I was just crap at it.
ImageImage

de-void

Post by de-void » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:57 pm

I think multiple endings are being mis-used in the era of Achievements.

The best example of multiple endings are games like Donkey Kong Country.

Complete the game, you get one ending. Continue on to get 101%, you get a slightly different ending. But they key is you aren't artificially forced to replay the entire game, rather you are encouraged to find all the game has to offer.

I am a member of a Retro Gaming Monthly Club where we choose 4 games to play that month. If you're interested, PM me. Mostly SNES based, branching out into PSX and MD/Genesis.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:07 pm

Multiple endings? i dont see one ending to most of my games! Unless of course you count arcade mode in fighting games, and if so, yes all the time with different characters. It makes me feel like less of a fraud....

I just dont have the time and i have too many games. Only game i recently played through more than once was DMC and only because the 'hard' mode was too easy.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:11 am

Not really, if I love a game enough to play through multiple times, like Silent Hill(s), then I might alter decisions to try for another ending, but otherwise no. Easy to utube them nowadays to save the hassle! :lol:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:12 am

Do I play them to see the endings? No.

This is what pokes are for ;)

Generally I'll run through a game once. If its really good I may play it again (or even multiple times) but that's rare. I don't go out of my way to play differently though in most cases. I did do the kill/stealth options in Quantum of Solace for a mission, but that's about it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:11 pm

The very best games of this type allow you to play through and enjoy a different experience and get an ending dependant on that. I though that the C&C/RA series was really good for this , as you got 2 finishes, one for the goodies and one for the baddies (the baddies always had the best ending of course, C&C being the best).

In my opinion though, I hate games with multiple endings. I feel that I've missed out unless I've jumped through every hoop the game developer has held out for me (sometimes having to jump through the same hoops on several times) . Like I said , games with different characaters that play through an entire game and have a seperate ending I'm fine with, but just choosing left instead of right, or not spending hours picking up every single gold coin and so getting a different (possibly poorer) ending as a result is just not my cup of tea.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"