Multiple endings...do you bother with them?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

Multiple endings...do you bother with them?

Post by Megamixer » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:13 am

A lot of games have multiple endings whether they are arcade games or modern story-driven games but does anybody else actually bother trying to see them all? Personally I might try in an arcade game but when it comes to RPG's which require loads of lengthy playthroughs just to see each outcome, I really can't be bothered. I tend to take whichever ending I get then Youtube the others...cheating I know but I don't have the time to actually play for all the different conclusions.

Also, do you even like different endings or would you prefer a single, conclusive finale to reward your time put into a game?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Prof Mango B Coconut

Re: Multiple endings...do you bother with them?

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:40 am

It's a bit of a moot point for me, as the games I like most don't really have endings... and those that do I often never get around to completing anyway.
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:27 am

Not usually. I have such a large pile of unplayed games that to go back and play one I've already done it would have to be a real favourite. Black Ops II, for instance - I keep hold of the game for an occasional multiplayer session but I can't be bothered trudging through the 10 hour campaign again just for a slightly different ending, not when I can see all the endings on YT any time I like.

Something like Chrono Trigger, for instance, has lots of endings but you'd have to be committed to play through the game multiple times to get them all when a single playthrough can be 50+ hours.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

mr gryzor

Post by mr gryzor » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:15 am

I recall playing a Silent Hill game on the xbox360 a few years back,and with the careful use of about 4 different save points i managed to see all the different endings on offer.
I did it purely for the achievement points i should add. I couldn't have given 2 sh1ts about the actual endings themselves.
Last edited by mr gryzor on Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C64-Atari ST-PC Engine-Sega Megadrive-SNES-Neo Geo-Sony Playstation-N64-Dreamcast-Gamecube-XBOX-Nintendo Wii-XBOX360-XBOX ONE

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:56 am

Only done this with two games so far, Black Ops 2 and the first Bioshock game. I can't seem to recall any others. Does Bioshock two have an alternative ending?

There is an alternative ending on GTA IV too if I remember correctly and you don't need to play from scratch to see it.

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:20 pm

I used to love mutiple endings back in the later 90s/early 2000s, mainly due to the Resident Evil series. The last game I bothered with though was Silent Hill Origins, and that was back in 2009. Nowadays, if a game has multiple endings, unless you unlock anything worthwhile, I don't bother and tend to just look it up on Youtube instead.

merman

Post by merman » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:22 pm

A nice idea, but as others have said the time needed to see them can negate the desire to do so...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:23 pm

Resi 2 owned it for me. Sure there are many others and many better but those 2 disks and all those endings? epic

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:28 pm

I can see the point of multiple endings in some games (Silent Hill 2 did it really well) but some other games that punish you with a bad ending for not knowing about something or making a mistake (Silent Hill 1) leave me feeling a bit bitter about the experience.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:29 pm

Pretty much what Megamixer said. I like them but nowadays am too lazy so usually just look on youtube

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:47 pm

it depends on the game and what you get for doing it,like on MGS getting the bandanna or stealth suit but that difference is only one very small part of the game,generally though if it's a moral choice type game i always stick with the same choices every time (good choices),but that has changed this gen with the trophy system the two Infamous games spring to mind.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:51 pm

not really
if i hit an ending no matter which one i will consider the game finished
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:15 pm

GigaPepsiMan wrote:but some other games that punish you with a bad ending for not knowing about something or making a mistake (Silent Hill 1) leave me feeling a bit bitter about the experience.
This is another good point. With most games like this, I always seem to get the bad endings and it does annoy me when 'good' endings can only be achieved through obscure methods that sometimes bear no relation to the actual ending itself. How are you supposed to know these things?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:26 pm

merman wrote:A nice idea, but as others have said the time needed to see them can negate the desire to do so...
Zombi U is a classic example. 22 hours to finish and because I got stuck on a bit of scenery in the final level and a zombie caught me I got the 'bad' ending. Am I really going to invest another 22 hours in the hope that this time I don't get snagged on the same bit of scenery and manage to get a mildly better ending? No chance.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:12 pm

Same as Koopa, Resi 2. One of my favourite games ever. I spent months on that game. Don't think theres another multiple ending ive bothered with.