Can you afford to collect

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GREENHORN

Can you afford to collect

Post by GREENHORN » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:05 pm

Has retro gaming become a expensive hobby?

shiffy

Re: Can you afford to collect

Post by shiffy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:18 pm

Speaking personally, I think collecting retro has become an expensive hobby. But it also depends on what system you're collecting for & whether or not you're fussed about pristine boxes and manuals. Megadrive / Snes / N64 are expensive. I'd guess that 8-bit console & 8-bit / 16-bit computer (Spectrum / Amiga) is quite cheap.

I started my Megadrive / Mega CD / Snes collecting quite early (about 1998-9) and mostly just got the games I couldn't afford as a kid. At that time, the games were everywhere and could be picked up quite cheaply. Admittedly, most of my SNES pickups were unboxed .... I bought them to play, not to keep locked in a cabinet! I remember getting a brand new Mega CD & a quite a number of games (maybe 15 or so) and got change from about £100 or so. That wouldn't happen now. Most of my Megadrive stuff had boxes & manuals, but again I never paid vast sums of money for them. And I have an almost complete American 32x set of which which most picked up at CEX retro in London if I recall correctly. Again, because these were the USA variants they were very cheap. I look at what I have now & and think there's no way I would start collecting these now with the money that people want for these now.

I paid a bit more for my Saturn stuff, but the Japanese shooters were always quite pricey. But collecting for something like the Dreamcast is quite cheap I'd imagine .... although I know a few games command a bit of money.

The thing is, I look at what I have now and I look at some of the prices these games can fetch. I find myself asking the question ... "Given the current prices of some of the games in my possession, can I afford not to sell?" So far I've resisted selling, but I'm seriously considering parting with my Gamecube stuff as I haven't touched it in years.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:04 pm

It does depend on what you're collecting, and what for. If you're a completest, and looking for mint boxed rare items, yep, incredibly expensive.

If you're collecting for the joy of playing old games, old faves etc, it can be a reasonable hobby.

I'd like to go back to collecting G&Ws, that would be reasonable for a while but get more expensive as you try to aquire harder and rarer ones, especially in their boxes

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:06 am

I'd be able to afford to collect if I gave up a lot of commitments but because I like having commitments I just went the other way and gave up collecting instead.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:00 am

Collect games that I want to play?
Yes I can

Games that I dont think I will ever play?
I dont have time for

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:03 am

I think it depends on what sort of buyer you are. If you have the money and willingly pay 'Buy It Now' prices then yes id imagine it to be hideously expensive. I rarely ever pay the going rate for any game as im always on the lookout, but it can take time if you want to grab a bargain. Buying in bulk is another option as i have had some great deals from sellers on ebay who have bundles listings together for me.

Luckily i dont collect for anything Nintendo as trying to find mint condition boxes is a pain and gets very pricey. Against cart only games you can be looking at paying ludicrous amounts of money for a box.

'Retro' is definitely getting bigger and this can be seen in the prices of ebay listings. Even games developed now are showing nods to older games. The Indie scene in particular has taken some key elements of retro gaming and implemented them in newer titles. It goes to show there is demand for that nostalgic experience

Misery

Post by Misery » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:31 am

Black Ridge wrote:I think it depends on what sort of buyer you are. If you have the money and willingly pay 'Buy It Now' prices then yes id imagine it to be hideously expensive.
I can speak for experience that yes, it's definitely more expensive.... usually.... to get them that way.

In my case, I do tend to do the "buy-it-now" type of purchases if I'm getting something offa Ebay, this being because I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate dealing with auctions. Find something you like, bid on it, wait a whole damn week as the top bidder, and then .0000000000000001 seconds before it ends, someone else snipes the damn thing and you dont get it. The "wait" part drives me up the wall as-is, but the utter lack of any guarantee that you'll GET the things just stops me from bothering with auctions altogether. Cant handle the frustration.

....but also I'm just impatient, and those buy-it-now ones get it to me ASAP.

I can afford to do it that way though, so that works out well enough.

I dont buy just to collect though, if I buy something, it's likely going to see alot of use. The 2600/7800 is what I'm buying for, and it has a permanent spot on my desk as it gets used pretty often. While it is nice if I can get boxes or at least the manuals with these, it's not a necessity. Just as long as the blasted things WORK.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:44 am

Some of the systems in my collection include the Saturn, Jaguar, SNES and GBA so yes, there are a lot of games I'd like to play that go for silly money on these systems.

I used to be a collector but now I only want to play but even that is tricky at times. I do like to have a proper boxed copy of a game (instead of some sort of hacked/pirate/emulated version) so it can still get expensive if I'm after a certain game for a console like the Gamecube or GBA (to name two). Basically, unless you emulate stuff, I still think it's expensive to be a player over a collector.

I could never afford to be a collector now and nor would I want to splash the cash on loads of sports/kids/shovelware games for complete sets when I have no interest in ever playing said games. I'd definitely agree that the money involved in retro gaming has increased drastically in recent years so I kinda feel sorry for anybody just getting into the 'scene' who hasn't already experienced lots of the classic games before they rose in price.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ex-spence.77

Post by ex-spence.77 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:08 pm

I love colletors, especially peeps like misery who has no patience and will pay over the odds for an item. My prices are laughed at, but it's me laughing all the way to the bank. Anyone here wanna buy Sonic on the megadrive 4 99 notes? A spence special limited offer to my fellowgaming friends on here. PM me.

ciderman

Post by ciderman » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:26 pm

I've been collecting now for about 15 years, gaming for 13 before that.
In my collecting phase I have built up a respectable array of gaming bits and bobs, some rare most not, all great though!
And that's the point, collecting isn't really that expensive, I mean it can be if you want it to be, but if you are a normal bloke like myself, a gradual collection of games over the years inevitably leads to a large amount of decent games.
It's only really a small percentage of retro games that are expensive, the bulk are for small money, see Megadrive, Gameboy and Snes stuff, not to mention PS games.
If you are buying from bricks and mortar shops you are likely to get fleeced, with most dedicated retrostores charging a good 25% more for stock than ebay.
And regarding ebay, careful bidding can net you all sorts of good stuff, and for decent money, I built up my Wii collection over 3 months and never paid over £20 for anything, still managed to get Xenoblade, The Last Story, SMG 2 and so on.
Even at the more expensive end of things, there's a long way to go before you are into very pricey territory, I picked up a copy of Chrono Trigger for the Snes, a US unboxed copy, for £50, and I was very happy to get it for that.
Basically, you can build quite a good collection if you are happy to take it slowly, go to car boot sales and keep an eye out on forums for bargains, make a price limit and stick to it, but don't be too afraid to jump on a more expensive thing every now and again, especially if it's a good deal.
Colecovision under repair! Superior Donkey Kong incoming!!

Katamario

Post by Katamario » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:43 pm

Well, I've only recently begun collecting, like last December. I did own a few small collections to start with, about 30 or so PS1 games, 20 NES games, and maybe 10 boxed Genesis games. I work in a restaurant and since then I've accumulated about 350 games and 8 new consoles, so it can't be thaat expensive. I mean, it is and it isn't.

I own a lotta the "essential" titles for each console, which aren't that expensive but won't be found in the $dollar bins either. Nights into Dreams and Panzer Dragoon for Saturn; 97 NES games with many of the essential titles like Mega Man 2 and 3, SMB 1-3, Kirby, Metroid, Double Dragon, Zelda, etc. ; all the Sonics on Genesis, DK Country, Megaman X, SMW, Killer Instinct, etc on SNES, Super Smash Bros, Mariokart, Mario 64, Zelda, etc for N64..

I play them all though and I don't go for complete in boxes for Nintendo or Atari, mainly just for cd format games and Genesis.

Katamario

Post by Katamario » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:44 pm

Ive been a gamer my whole life tho so I love to play these games, not just show them off on a shelf.

rupert

Post by rupert » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:07 pm

I am at a stage in my collecting where most items I want are either very expensive or so obscure and rare they arent necessarily dear, just don't see much.

Which means if I do see something I want I may pay slightly over the odds because it doesnt happen very offten.

I have playing and collecting in too very different spaces in my life, so affording to play whatever I want is fine. I tend not to buy many games to play anyway as I like to try and complete a game before I start another, unless I have got fully sick of trying!

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:30 pm

The price inflation has been pretty shocking. 4 years ago the most expensive a Mega Drive game got was about 15 quid, with the exception of a few choice titles. Now it seems the standard asking price for any game is about a tenner.

The Super Nintendo is a complete joke - I got a collection of most of the 'best' SNES carts for roughly £200, those same carts would now cost me almost triple!

rupert

Post by rupert » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:38 pm

Rayne wrote:The price inflation has been pretty shocking. 4 years ago the most expensive a Mega Drive game got was about 15 quid, with the exception of a few choice titles. Now it seems the standard asking price for any game is about a tenner.

The Super Nintendo is a complete joke - I got a collection of most of the 'best' SNES carts for roughly £200, those same carts would now cost me almost triple!
I have noticed this too, thank god that a big portion of my Master System games were bought from the many Gamestation shops in my area (there were at least 10 within short drives from me) mostly in the BOGOF £1.99 deal. Best score I got volume wise was about 36 SMS games I needed all complete and in good condition for about £40 in one of the Liverpool branches. Also found some really rare games like James Buster Douglas in Leigh Gamestation for £1.99!