Losing touch with modern gaming - anyone in this boat?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: Losing touch with modern gaming - anyone in this boat?

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:25 pm

I sort of feel out of love with modern gaming around the mid 2000s. Being a PC gamer, I just got a bit bored of seeing another FPS. However, of late, I have been using Steam quite a bit. Picked up some good games : X-Com : Enemy Unknown, Legend of Grimrock, Shadowgrounds.

I do have things like Skyrim, Bioshock and Mass Effect - but - I am sort of intimidated by the sheer size of them nowadays. I might get around to playing them sometime.

ciderman

Post by ciderman » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:56 am

Regarding Red Dead Redemption,
That really was, in my opinon, the high water mark for gaming this gen.
I too bought it, got bored during the opening hour and left it.
I went back to it a couple of weeks later and didn't put it down until it was completed, a magnificent game that dropped me into the midst of all my favourite westerns.
Never mind GTAV, RDR is the game I most want a sequel to.
In the meantime, I might direct folk who also loved it to play Red Dead Revolver, the first western game from Rockstar, I played it on the PS2.
A lot more limited than the later game but still a great game, well worth finding and playing.
Colecovision under repair! Superior Donkey Kong incoming!!

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:16 am

A common complaint with recent console launch line ups that I've noticed, including from people on here, is the lack of "big hitters" and "AAA titles" and there subsequently not being anything to get excited about. It seems we do actually like the hyped up releases, or at least fall for the marketing. So I think more simplistic, pick up and play "arcade" games would be a difficult sell to most people these days.

I wonder if the new Playstation or X-Box launched with the modern equilevelants of Tetris, Space Invaders and Pacman, would people in this thread be more interested? Suppose Pacman or Tetris didn't exist until now, would people buy a next gen console to play them?
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:17 am

Far from it, in fact I'm more losing touch with retro gaming.
Splink!

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:03 pm

pratty wrote:A common complaint with recent console launch line ups that I've noticed, including from people on here, is the lack of "big hitters" and "AAA titles" and there subsequently not being anything to get excited about. It seems we do actually like the hyped up releases, or at least fall for the marketing. So I think more simplistic, pick up and play "arcade" games would be a difficult sell to most people these days.

I wonder if the new Playstation or X-Box launched with the modern equilevelants of Tetris, Space Invaders and Pacman, would people in this thread be more interested? Suppose Pacman or Tetris didn't exist until now, would people buy a next gen console to play them?
Well, they would almost certainly be XBOX live PSN indie games and if they caught on would thrive, such as Minecraft et al.
I don't fully understand anyone that cuts themselves off from any generation on purpose tbh.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:15 pm

pratty wrote:A common complaint with recent console launch line ups that I've noticed, including from people on here, is the lack of "big hitters" and "AAA titles" and there subsequently not being anything to get excited about.
Well its subjective isn't it?
Im very excited about the new gen consoles launch line ups. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:36 pm

ciderman wrote:Regarding Red Dead Redemption,
That really was, in my opinon, the high water mark for gaming this gen.
I too bought it, got bored during the opening hour and left it.
I went back to it a couple of weeks later and didn't put it down until it was completed, a magnificent game that dropped me into the midst of all my favourite westerns.
Never mind GTAV, RDR is the game I most want a sequel to.
In the meantime, I might direct folk who also loved it to play Red Dead Revolver, the first western game from Rockstar, I played it on the PS2.
A lot more limited than the later game but still a great game, well worth finding and playing.
Might I suggest skipping Red Dead Revolver and playing its contemporary, Gun, instead. Any version of Gun will suffice, but the PSP is the most feature packed being the last one out. Far better game than Revolver and similar to Redemption in many respects.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:04 pm

sscott wrote:
pratty wrote:A common complaint with recent console launch line ups that I've noticed, including from people on here, is the lack of "big hitters" and "AAA titles" and there subsequently not being anything to get excited about. It seems we do actually like the hyped up releases, or at least fall for the marketing. So I think more simplistic, pick up and play "arcade" games would be a difficult sell to most people these days.

Well, they would almost certainly be XBOX live PSN indie games and if they caught on would thrive, such as Minecraft et al.
Right, but would someone buy the latest XBox or Playstaion mostly for Xbox Live/PSN indie games? Who's going to pay £400-£500 to play a Tetris or Pacman type game? Understandably people are reluctant to buy an expensive console for games that may only use a fraction of the systems technical potential.

And it's equally understandable that the likes of Microsoft and Sony want to push the technical boundaries, and the subsequently push the boundaries of the medium (through story telling, spectacle, online, increased scale, increased movement, increased complexity etc), and not be held back by a minority of more 'retro-minded' gamers.

This is why I think the Wii (and also to a considerable extent the DS) have been excellent compromises between modern and old school gaming, and people would do well to look past it's stereotype of waggle-fest shovelware, I genuinely think there's something for everyone.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Katamario

Post by Katamario » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:28 am

I still play modern games, I have a 360 and I love it. Mostly titles that are based off of classics like Sonic Generations, but I love modern games too. I played all the Halo's, along with some more obscure gems like Catherine, El Shaddai, and Alice: Madness Returns, then Street Fighter 4.. Oh Street Fighter...

I also love indie games like Fez and Super Meatboy. Can't find those thru my SNES, unfortunately. I play my retro consoles just as much though. My NES has been plugged in all evening.

chrisgoodhead

Post by chrisgoodhead » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:58 pm

I suppose it depends on whether you are asking if it is modern games or modern gaming that people are tiring of. The way I see it, there's quite a big difference. Modern games, yes, I lost touch with them years ago. Probably around the time of the Playstation when Namco Museum got released I reconnected with the games, and the style of games, I'd enjoyed in my youth. Pacman, Rally X, and so on. I still played Tomb Raider and Final Fantasy and what have you, and really enjoyed them, but the re-emergence of retro gaming opened up what I now view as modern gaming; an eclectic perspective where you can play anything you like, from the history of video games. Dreamcast saw the last great Sega games. PS2 increased the number of retro options and then I found I had no need to "keep up" with modern games or consoles.

I never quite took to Xbox gaming although all the factors of modern, anything goes gaming were there, I preferred the aesthetic of the wii - I adopted both consoles relatively late. I liked the wii channels and especially the virtual console. This re-energised my love of modern eclectic gaming, although not modern games exactly, and ive adopted wii u early and I love it. My most played games are e shop and virtual console titles. Pinball, picross, donkey kong. Alongside those I've sunk hours into Fire Emblem : Awakening (3ds - my only title due to very recent purchase) and New Super Mario Brothers U. Boom Street also still gets a lot of play.

So yeah, modern gaming is great. Modern games... Depends... But then... Wasn't it alwayss like this?

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:35 pm

Was reading on another forum which had the opinion that the 3DS was the 'current console to get.' I found their reasons interesting and something I empathise with.
They found that they had grown tired of the cookie cutter beige games that were current'y around, and that the 3DS offered something a little different, with colourful games that had a bit of difference around them. Much like modern shopping, where most stores nowadays have the same cookie cutter looks- same style/layout, same stocks, same prices, so something that offers a little difference stands out.
I kind of feel that arguement...that a lot of games are just the same epic, trying to be movies beige sort of thing. There are some games through that though that are complete gems. So maybe I aren't over modern gaming as such, just simply more selective about what I will get. :)

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:32 am

kiwimike wrote:Was reading on another forum which had the opinion that the 3DS was the 'current console to get.' I found their reasons interesting and something I empathise with.
They found that they had grown tired of the cookie cutter beige games that were current'y around, and that the 3DS offered something a little different, with colourful games that had a bit of difference around them.
That comes up often and really its just the laziest argument going!

If people are tired of the so called 'cookie cutter beige' games so prevalent today then they really aren't looking hard enough. In fact you don't need to look hard at all. The indie scene is booming and in turn you can't move an inch without another modern 'retro' style game being released. Turn based RTS made a succesfull console return with X-COM and even Bioshock Infinite ,the biggest FPS so far this year, had the least 'beige' colour pallet possible :wink:

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:45 am

Joey wrote:
kiwimike wrote:Was reading on another forum which had the opinion that the 3DS was the 'current console to get.' I found their reasons interesting and something I empathise with.
They found that they had grown tired of the cookie cutter beige games that were current'y around, and that the 3DS offered something a little different, with colourful games that had a bit of difference around them.
That comes up often and really its just the laziest argument going!

If people are tired of the so called 'cookie cutter beige' games so prevalent today then they really aren't looking hard enough. In fact you don't need to look hard at all. The indie scene is booming and in turn you can't move an inch without another modern 'retro' style game being released. Turn based RTS made a succesfull console return with X-COM and even Bioshock Infinite ,the biggest FPS so far this year, had the least 'beige' colour pallet possible :wink:
Lol I know what you mean, but it's more a convenient term of reference for no risk game production, and there's gems in every generation of gaming. This is actually a hard question to answer really, the more I think about it- and the argument it says more about us than about the games is also a fair point. I find myself getting bored with modern gaming- but a large part of that is how much time you need to devote to modern games- So much it's almost intimidating. So you play a game for a couple of hours, and almost feel guilty...the things you could, should be doing, family commitments and responsibilities, it seems hard to devote a decent amount of time to new games. Younger gamers, who don't have the commitment and responsibilities, with time in abundance to devote, don't have that issue. Is that part of the problem for us older gamers, and part of the reason for 'losing touch?' :?

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:44 am

pratty wrote:I feel I am losing touch with modern gaming but it has less to do with the actual games but rather just how they're being sold to us now. The digital stuff and the fact that games consoles seem increasingly more geared towards marketeers than gamers.

I don't like owning games (or even game content) digitally, nor do I like held-back content doled out to me with DLC. And I object to being labelled old fashioned and needing to get with the times, because it's not about old vs new at all, it's about better vs worse. I prefered past generations when you bought a game and got all of the game, and could lend it or sell it as I saw fit. That's just one reason why I've really enjoyed the Wii this last gen. There's simply less freedom for the comsumer digitally in my opinion.

I've no interest in the PS4 or X-Box One. I think I'll still get a Wii-U and maybe a 3DS because (thankfully) Nintendo still seem a step behind the rest when it comes to this sort of thing. But after that who knows?

As for the games themselves, sure there are lots of samey games either trying to be realistic, or trying to be like movies, but that's not all there is. The more high profile releases might be but if you dig a bit there are still plenty of varied stuff for all tastes.

Take The Laird for example. The guy openly dislikes modern gaming for the most part, infact he doesn't even like thumbstick controllers, but despite not even being that keen on Nintendo, he has a Wii and has even more Wii games than I do!
Exactly me too mate, not interested in digital, throwaway games, microtransactions, Free2Play, witheld DLC, switched off servers, downtime and DRM. Like the OP, I am satisfied with what I have aready, a vast library spannig the decades. I have a Wii U and there are a number of Nintendo games that are interesting to me, as for XB1 and PS4 I'll wait and see what happens, but I'm not interested in what they've shown so far. I was listening to a podcast last night, there is nothing like the generation jump from 8-Bit to 16-Bit and also from 16-Bit to 32-Bit.

It's also due to convergence, there used to be such a variety of games on shelves, now... not so much, in fact, not at all.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:31 am

no.

modern games are fcuking brilliant - not hugely excited about the ps4 and xb1 as yet but lots of the games we have on the current gen are among the very best of all time.