Losing touch with modern gaming - anyone in this boat?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

joefish

Re: Losing touch with modern gaming - anyone in this boat?

Post by joefish » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:22 am

When I get a new game, I want to experience a new way of interacting with it. What I don't want is the same controls in the same semi-open semi-populated semi-realistic world of things to shoot with increasingly more powerful weapons. But that's all that seems to be on offer, over and over again.

I've said before, I've got Just Cause II on my PS3, it's brilliant, and I can keep going back to it and blowing up another bit of the country. I'm not that interested in the story-leading missions - they're are plenty of side objectives and I'm not even remotely trying to be completist about it, but this game could last me for years. Why would I want to buy another FPS warfare game anyway?

So I'll stick to a few racing games, maybe a fighter, maybe look for some indie games. But no, Sony want to force 'Singstar' onto my main menu and just flog me one unoriginal FPS after another.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:18 am

Misery wrote:And the less said about the handhelds, the better. I do have a DS that may or may not still function. It's used as a coaster.
I might sound biased as a Nintendo fan but I think the Wii and Ds have a lot to offer people out of touch with modern gaming. No achievements, more emphasis on local multiplayer, gameplay over graphics, pick up and play 'arcade' gameplay, old school genres like point and click, rail shooters, and 2D platformers, as well as new ways to play classic series. I'm not saying these consoles are perfect and god's gift to gamers but I think they do offer something a bit different, especially to gamers with a more 'retro' attitude.

I think the DS is a great little quirky device. I do like the 3DS overall too and I find the prospect of having home console type gaming on the go appealing, but part of me is also a little sad that it seems a lot of what made the DS so unique is being left behind by the 3DS, with less ephasis on the touch screen for example. Arguably the system's limitations gave the DS an appealing simplicity, eg more about gameplay, less about graphics, and more of an alternative to home consoles where the games are mostly 3D as opposed to mostly 2D on the DS.
Misery wrote:In my case, it's alot of the current popular game design trends that put me offa the things so much. Things like super-easy gameplay, endless talking and cutscenes (aaargh I hate cutscenes so much), dumbed down gameplay, an extreme emphasis on graphics and "set piece moments" over basically everything else, achievements (never liked those).... the list goes on, and on, and on. As time goes on, it becomes ever more difficult to find games that do not adhere to these trends, to the point where I've pretty much stopped caring.

This has led to me migrating entirely to PC gaming, as alot of these trends are NOT prevalent on PC; which makes sense, because it's just downright easier to make and sell games on there.... ANYONE can do it, whereas for consoles you need a publisher with enough "impact" and knowledge to get your game out there, and chances are you need a rather large budget. I buy games on PC *frequently*. Really frequently. A combination of indie games and non-indie games. Basically, I'm finding on PC what I simply cannot seem to get on console.
Yeah but we're judging consoles by the big budget games. The PC has those games too (with even better realistic graphics and cutscenes) but like you say you're able to find alternatives, indie games for example. That sort of thing is avilable on consoles too, so it's up to people to resist the flashy marketing and dig a bit.
Last edited by pratty on Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:57 am

Maybe it's just the second-hand market, but I remember all sorts of variety in GameBoy and GBA games. When I look at the second-hand racks for DS games it all looks like Ponies, Puppies and Pokémon. With the odd copy of Fire Emblem something-or-other.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:38 pm

joefish wrote:Maybe it's just the second-hand market, but I remember all sorts of variety in GameBoy and GBA games. When I look at the second-hand racks for DS games it all looks like Ponies, Puppies and Pokémon. With the odd copy of Fire Emblem something-or-other.
Sure the selection in shops often sucks, but then maybe it's worth seperating modern game shopping from the modern gaming experience. It seems harsh to judge a system based on retailers overstocking shovelware.

I was thinking of listing all the DS games I think are worthy of consideration but there's just too many. But basically you've got an absolute ton of different (and often original) puzzle games, loads of quality RPGs, retro collections and ports, point and click adventures, traditional 2D platformers, quirkier novelty platformers, rhythm games, and updates of classics like Pacman, Bomberman, Mario, Sonic, Tetris, Space Invaders etc, and so on.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:18 pm

I like to play games with a beginning and end to them, I also prefer simpler controls over complicated ones. I know I have mentioned this on several occasions, but I do think that companies need to find uses for all of those buttons on controllers. I have a PS2 and bought PES (5 or 6?) ; the combinations of buttons needed to complete even the most basic of moves was lost on me. I was spending more time looking at the pad than playing the game.

Playing a through ball was more a case of pressing the right comnbination of buttons; back in the day games like Sensi and KO2 required you to simply judge the distance and position of players and just use the one button and stick movement to skillfully guide the ball through to a forward. Sane with crossing the ball - new footie games just ask you to run down the wing and press a button - everything else is doen for you. Older footie games required you to judge time and space before judging how long to hold the fire button down for and using the right amount of curl on the ball with your stick to land it on the head of an attacker. In my opinion a goal scored this way makes you feel like you've earned the approval of the crowd.

And don't even get me started on offsides - one of the worst aspects of football included in a game? If I want realism I'll watch the real thing on tv. I don't want to have to play games that take 90+ minutes to complete, I don't want to wait 15 minutes between halves, I don't want to have to wait weeks or months between games and seasons. I don't want to have to wait a couple of minutes for subs or injuries... you get the picture. So equally I don't want the game held up with offsides.

I'll leave multi-button fighters for another day. Suffice to say that 1 button IK+ beats hands-down any multi-button fighter.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:53 pm

mr gryzor wrote:
3703 wrote:
I -completely- empathise with this. The open slate structure of a lot of modern games has made it difficult/overwhelming to sink the teeth in. The idea of no one playthrough being the same was exciting and intriguing to me in its genesis, but as a common experience it has felt like too many steps, and has frustrated the core "get to the end and you're done" gamer in me. I'm definitely drawn to more linear, pick up and play experiences. Might have something to do with it.

I recall 3 or 4 years ago,my missus bought me Red Dead Redemption for a xmas present.

Xmas night i decided to start playing it.And,It literally was a case of,put disc in tray-Watched game intro-Played the initial tutorial-Let out a monumental sigh,and thought to myself "I really can't be arsed with this"

I knew there was a classic game there to be played,but i just hadn't the attention span or the time to invest in it.
The game never went in my console again.

I really do prefer games to be as linear as possible these days.
Its an attitude that may be frowned upon,but these 150 hour 'do whatever you want' type games just kill me.
I had a fair few similar experiences with several modern games like Bayonetta and NFS Hot Pursuit. I'd watch the intro 'n' what not then turn it straight off. I don't like spending too much time on games as it feels trivial, almost #purile, though I'm not so serious as I was ~6 months ago. I'd rather read a book (actual book, not electronic), go out on my mountain bike, practice piano (though I've been skipping that a lot recently lol), anything really.
Quick fix shoot em ups on iOs are probably my main "gaming" for the moment, with a bit of console gaming while listening to Radio 4, podcasts etc.

My interest has been on the wane since about 2004 I would say. I think the original Halo was the last game I really cared about.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:00 pm

I love Retro Gamer, I really do; I've bought every issue back from number 1. But I tell you now, that none give me that tingly feeling I used to get when the new edition of Crash! or YS came out. Does that say something about the mags or me; something tells me it's the latter. Gaming isn't the same as it used to be , but neither am I...
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:29 pm

Modern games on PS360 and the like leave me cold. They are all the same these days. Looking at all the "next-gen" coverage online and in the magazines just bores me to tears. Its all so generic.

Having said that, Nintendo has been doing well on the 3DS over the last couple of years. If it weren't for that I would just play retro the whole time. Hopefully they can bring some of that to the Wii U in the coming months and years.

Misery

Post by Misery » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:58 pm

joefish wrote:Maybe it's just the second-hand market, but I remember all sorts of variety in GameBoy and GBA games. When I look at the second-hand racks for DS games it all looks like Ponies, Puppies and Pokémon. With the odd copy of Fire Emblem something-or-other.
Aye, this. Is one of the reasons I gave up on it, really. Oh, I'd had the thought of "Well maybe it's just THIS store that's the problem..." except that it's kinda hard to keep that sort of reasoning up when there's NINE gaming stores available within a 10-15 minute drive and I've been to ALL of them and they still look like that. Just.... feh. Again, with Nintendo it doesnt help one bit if you actually DONT like their first-party stuff; the selections on their devices seem to utterly fall apart if this is the case. The one other thing that the DS seemed to be good at was RPGs..... which would be great if I actually played those, but as I tend to hate ANY story in games, well.... yeah.

Though, I still kept the damn DS going at least a little bit for awhile.... what finally finished it off for me was getting an iPad. Never looked back after that.

pratty wrote:Yeah but we're judging consoles by the big budget games. The PC has those games too (with even better realistic graphics and cutscenes) but like you say you're able to find alternatives, indie games for example. That sort of thing is avilable on consoles too, so it's up to people to resist the flashy marketing and dig a bit.
Hm, yeah, I'm aware that the consoles (mostly the 360) have indie games, but.... it was never quite the same. I used to check into the 360's indie game stuffs very frequently, but it didnt work the same way as on PC; I didnt buy games from it even remotely as often. It didnt help that to find something somewhat decent I had to look through troves of craptastic avatar games, zombie games, and zombie avatar games. With their sometimes being an avatar-zombie game to spice things up. I gave up on those around the same time that I gave up on the 360's disc-based games.

....there was also the other problem which was that playing anything on the 360 forced me to use that godawful nightmare of a controller, which I'll usually do damn near anything to avoid (I use the PS3 controller, and ONLY the PS3 controller, on the PC). That actually was a fairly large factor with it.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:37 pm

Started to feel this a few months back, though with gaming a whole rather than specifically modern gaming. As always my backlog of games far exceeds the rate at which i can finish them, especially when every RPG promises a 50+ hour experience. I'm currently in a positive phase and addicted to a good one that i want to finish, but a lot of the time i really have to motivate myself to delve into the pile an immerse in another month long journey. I think that's why i enjoyed the new Tomb Raider so much. I blasted through it in under 20 hours, the story was engaging and it didn't overstay its welcome.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Balders

Post by Balders » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:46 pm

I've basically completely skipped the current gen. Mainly it was because I knew it wouldn't have enough time to properly enjoy a new console. Or rather that if I got one, I would get sucked into spending too much time on it.

Most of my gaming nowadays is of the piecemeal grab it when I can get it mobile gaming variety.

having said that, I'm kind of looking forward to the next gen. Probably cos I've had time to build up a hunger for something new.

Flint

Post by Flint » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:40 am

I look at the PS4 and XBox One and it's pretty clear they're not aimed at me with their emphasis on bloody facebook crap and TV/ live action cutscenes respectively, as well as the feeling all the games looked like current gen gameplay with an added lick of paint. That said at least Sony seem to be promising a diverse range of games.

I was much the same at the start of the generation, Sony were being arrogant idiots and Microsoft didn't manage to win me over (glad they didn't in retrospect), then as things went on the DLC, online passes, proliferation of FPSs/cinematic titles, emphasis on on-line etc put me off. Eventually I did get a PS3 and well...many of my favourite franchises were awful and I found many newer games underwhelming.
It wasn't really until late last year when I got PS+ I started to enjoy that part of the generation, a lot of the negatives aren't quite as bad when you're paying £30 a year, you don't have to face racks of generic looking game covers and if you don't like something after 10 minutes there's no problem in giving up and playing something else.

However like many others I've found bits of the industry that meet my tastes. I went on a long retro binge, the Wii and handhelds provided platformers, local multi-player, quirky titles and RPGs.

Now I do most of my gaming on the 3DS supplemented by PS+, together they've made this one of my personal favourite years in videogames.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:54 am

I don't think I've played a console game through to the end since the Dreamcast was around...

And even on the handhelds I think the only games I've finished have been the two Sonic Rush games and Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (and even that I cocked up and got the "bad" ending!).

Most games I'll sit down with, get addicted to for maybe one or two nights and then completely forget about them. It's been over a year since I arrived in Mexico in Red Dead Redemption - if I sit down to play it again I might have to start over because I won't have a clue what's going on (or what the buttons do!).

This means it's mostly Mega Drive/32X/Mega CD or emulation on the handhelds that gets played these days. Or the Game Cube version of SSX3 on the Wii maybe once or twice a fortnight.

DEFINITELY spend more time talking/thinking about games than I do playing them!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:15 am

My big disappointment with modern games is the lack of intelligence. Games are becoming more simple, easier and risk averse. There are still some great games out there though and I'm keeping my passion for the hobby. I don't think the number of good games released each year really changes. There are a whole bunch of 7/10 games that are worth playing but no more great games than in the past. The industry has had it easy with big technological changes providing all the excitment for them. The new XB1/PS4 look pretty dull so far and its difficult to be excited about a marginal improvemnet in graphics.

I much prefered magazines to the internet for gaming news as well. In a magazine you got a months worth of news and genuine suprises. Now it's non stop twaddle and non stories with sites like eurogamer desperately trying to get 10 or 15 articles a day to fill up space.

Starlight

Post by Starlight » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:21 am

Up to a point, yeah....although I bought Pikmin 3 and enjoying that!

I think it's more the direction than anything...I've grew up with Japanese Developers and Publishers (to me, they were kings of innovation, but now they're losing that uniqueness), but now it's swinging back to the West and I am not into that at all! (I'm not even into Anime really, unlike most of these stereotypical American Weeaboo Young Adults who think that if it isn't made in Japan, it sucks).

However, I do like my Uncharted games and even Medieval...but I have recently not been interested in either the Western or Japanese output these days...the only game I anticipate these days is Dragon's Crown, as it reminds me of Streets of Rage in gameplay, but overall...I don't think the Industry is in the right place these days....same with Films/Movies since anything with a large budget = needs to succeed.

I love the 16-bit era, but I am more of a portable guy these days, so the GBA and PSP are perfect for me!

Perhaps you'll get your modern gaming mojo back OP, but it's definitely understandable, from me at least, why you feel discontent with it...nothing's really improved in gameplay or story these days to claim that the next generation will be any better than it is now.
SEGA, Falcom and "Niche" Nintendo fan