Do I need a DS Lite?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:14 pm

Games are region free, movies are not.

Mr Winkle

Post by Mr Winkle » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:18 pm

i've got a handful of games for our ds lite, sonic, mario, bust a move. all fab games. i'd say go for it.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:55 pm

SirClive wrote:I go to Vegas in 6 weeks so hopefully I can find a game store somewhere nearby and can stock up on DS and PSP games
You might also want to grab WarioWare: Twisted, if you like WarioWare games, seeing as the chance of it actually being released in Europe appears to be zero.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

seanmcmanus

Post by seanmcmanus » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:36 am

Just got to step in and warn you not to buy anything from Tesco's £10 offer. They advertised loads of stuff in December at £10 and couldn't deliver on it. I got an email every three days with a new despatch date for about two months, before they emailed to tell me I'd cancelled the order, when I hadn't. Really - worst ecommerce experience ever. Just pay up the extra.

The DS is a great machine, though. The DS to DS play is great and it's convenient for playing anywhere, including around the house. You don't have to use it in cafes all the time to get the benefit from it. It's good to have a games machine you can just play on the sofa or in bed.

It's the first games machine I've owned for years, so I'm one of those 'casual gamers' we keep reading about. I bought it for Brain Training and Electroplankton (hardly hardcore games), but I'm mostly playing Animal Crossing now. Phoenix Wright is great, but tries your patience at times. Elite Beat Agents and Zookeeper are great too. Get the DS Browser as well - it's a really nice piece of kit.

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:06 am

seanmcmanus wrote:I bought it for Brain Training and Electroplankton (hardly hardcore games), but I'm mostly playing Animal Crossing now. Phoenix Wright is great, but tries your patience at times. Elite Beat Agents and Zookeeper are great too. Get the DS Browser as well - it's a really nice piece of kit.
I think Electroplankton is great for tinkering around with, but it absolutely not worth paying any money for. Asking £30 for it is ridiculous, in my opinion it should have been a demo that came with the machine.

seanmcmanus

Post by seanmcmanus » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:19 am

It's good if you're already interested in ambient music. But I agree that it won't do much for you if you're not.

Utini

Post by Utini » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:58 pm

Hmmm... there doesn't seem to be any "you really, really, really need to get one - it's better than the best thing since sliced bread!" type of posts.

All of which leads me to believe that no one's all that taken with the DS...
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:00 pm

I had the same problem. No one was really convincing me that I MUST get one. I got one anyway and am enjoying it, but I preferred the PSP when I borrowed one of them.

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:51 pm

Utini wrote:Hmmm... there doesn't seem to be any "you really, really, really need to get one - it's better than the best thing since sliced bread!" type of posts.

Either that, or we're not a bunch of excitable 11-year-olds.

Utini

Post by Utini » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:53 pm

The Penultimate Ninja wrote:
Utini wrote:Hmmm... there doesn't seem to be any "you really, really, really need to get one - it's better than the best thing since sliced bread!" type of posts.

Either that, or we're not a bunch of excitable 11-year-olds.
Judging by the "Is Tetris a puzzle game" threads, I think we both know the answer to that one ;)
Hey, Sweden!

thl

Post by thl » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:09 pm

I had no problem playing the DS Lite. A bit more improved than the previous design which could satisfy the customers.

Had a go on New Super Mario Bros. Such a brilliant game that I enjoy it. Didn't know the game cartridge is about the same size of the SD card found in the digital camera. :o

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:14 pm

I wrote:Is it just me or do other people get Kevin Spacey hands after playing on a DS lite for a while? Not sure if it is as bad on a DS Brick, but my right hand is killing (and YES it is from playing on the DS and not my joystick!).
Have just copied that from another thread to see if anyone else has that problem with the DS lite?

Utini

Post by Utini » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:20 pm

SirClive wrote:
I wrote:Is it just me or do other people get Kevin Spacey hands after playing on a DS lite for a while? Not sure if it is as bad on a DS Brick, but my right hand is killing (and YES it is from playing on the DS and not my joystick!).
Have just copied that from another thread to see if anyone else has that problem with the DS lite?
Not another torture device??!?? Is it worse than the PSP? That gave me severe cramping and spasms up my arms, and my thumbs felt as if they were about to fall off.

That seals it, then, no DS Lite for me!
Hey, Sweden!

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:20 pm

I have both and I use the chunky for anything that requires non-stylusing. The dpad, start and select buttons are 100% better and the thing more suited to my hands.

But then I liked the bigger xbox controller so what does that tell you?
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:22 pm

You have big fingers like sausages?