Greatest BBC Micro games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

SirClive

Re: Greatest BBC Micro games

Post by SirClive » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:44 am

I think demanding 10 games to be counted has put a load of people off. I think the beeb is a great machine, but I would struggle to name 10 games, let alone the best 10.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:17 pm

SirClive wrote:I think demanding 10 games to be counted has put a load of people off. I think the beeb is a great machine, but I would struggle to name 10 games, let alone the best 10.
Isn't that the norm with these things? The people that didn't own one struggle to come up with ten, while the people who did could name a hundred.

Anyway, if anyone's still needing a few suggestions to fill out their list, they could do worse than look at these sites for some ideas:
www.beebgames.com
www.bbcmicrogames.com
www.stairwaytohell.com

merman

Post by merman » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:06 pm

It missed out on my 10, but I can also recommend Bone Cruncher - while it shares some similarities with Repton, the cute characters and tricky levels make it worth a look.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:32 pm

Like any top ten list, these will fluctuate daily!

10. Codename: Droid
9. Snapper
8. Planetoid
7. Boffin
6. Cybertron Mission
5. Danger UXB
4. Plan B
3. Elite
2. Repton
1. Chuckie Egg

Most of these were experienced on my own Electron, but also on my (richer) friend's BBC, so I hope that counts.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:17 am

StickHead wrote:Like any top ten list, these will fluctuate daily!

10. Codename: Droid
9. Snapper
8. Planetoid
7. Boffin
6. Cybertron Mission
5. Danger UXB
4. Plan B
3. Elite
2. Repton
1. Chuckie Egg

Most of these were experienced on my own Electron, but also on my (richer) friend's BBC, so I hope that counts.
Lol, same with me, I only knew one guy with a Beeb, from a very well off family...the rest of us could not afford that sort of thing. But the few goes I had on it made me very jealous at the time. I don't know or played enough BBC games, but did enjoy Planetoid most, a great Defender clone.
I could name a top ten with faves like Elite and Sentinel, but it'd be cheating as I played them on other machines :)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:56 am

I cant name 10, did have a couple of favourites i used to play on my mates BBC...

1 - Elite - I admit this was amazing on the Beeb
2 - Repton - Another Beeb classic
3 - Chuckie Egg - Another game i admit was probably one of the best on the Beeb
4 - Frak! - A classic played many many times at school lunchtimes (or during the class !)
5 - Sim - This was one of my favourites, you had a jetpac and there were tons of different screens/tricks etc. Great game

But i cant name 10 at all. If i could name 10 easier i reckon the Beeb would have been far more popular in the 80's with kids ! This was one of the computers you thought 'dadddddd ! noooooo' when he came back with a Beeb when all your mates were playing 100's of games on the Speccy or C64.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:25 am

psj3809 wrote:This was one of the computers you thought 'dadddddd ! noooooo' when he came back with a Beeb when all your mates were playing 100's of games on the Speccy or C64.
We bought it to help with your homework!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:26 am

the_hawk wrote:
psj3809 wrote:This was one of the computers you thought 'dadddddd ! noooooo' when he came back with a Beeb when all your mates were playing 100's of games on the Speccy or C64.
We bought it to help with your homework!
Ha ha, 'thanks'. Now have that tune playing in my head non stop ! ;)

supermario

Post by supermario » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:38 pm

Hmm I didn't play that many so I'll have to say

1. Elite
2. Chuckie Egg
3. Repton
4. Zalaga
5. Frak (which of course on my version had been hacked to improve the words....)
6. Frenzy

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:40 pm

i had an electron but the games were essentially the same, the one i enjoyed the most as a kid were:

10 - chuckie egg (obviously)
9 - imogen
8 - repton
7 - spycat
8 - rubble trouble
7 - yie ar kung fu 2
6 - saigon
5 - exile
4 - danger uxb
3 - wizzys mansion
2 - plan b
1 - swag

there were soo many good games, had to have a right think otherwise it would have been all superior pretty much, also liked many budget titles too.

Pinhead7

Post by Pinhead7 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:42 am

My only experience with the Beeb was a supermarket simulator at college. The other times were at computer fairs and watching the computer programmes on BBC2 and so have had no real knowledge of playing any games on the machine.

dextrovix

Post by dextrovix » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:09 am

I guess you have to be a diehard fan of the BBC to get a list together. Maybe SirClive's post above (who might have a Spectrum bias perhaps!?), enjoyed the far larger Spectrum library of games than the total produced for the BBC. It's just a shame because of it's price that the Spectrum caught on with more arcade conversions and generally a larger library than the BBC. I had an Acorn Electron (it's more inferior cousin), so no Teletext mode for me but was stuck with that for five years, until I could afford to buy a BBC. Anyway, my top ten:

10 Citadel - I Spent hours with this, including leaving the machine on as there was no way to save your progress in those days! Mode 2 graphics made this very pretty too.
9 Chuckie Egg - The best version in my opinion, I used to play this for hours.
8 Repton - I include the series with this nomination. I enjoyed the level designer, it was fun designing new characters and maps on Repton 3. Repton Infinity was also class.
7 Jet Boot Jack - English Software's rather good conversion- Mode 2 graphics made this look good and the levels were varied and entertaining.
6 Thrust - It took me a while to get to grips with the gravity, but once I had it I loved this. It was a sort of Gravitar variant from the arcade.
5 Elite - It wasn't until I had a BBC that I played this- wow. It wasn't until the Archimedes version that the BBC one was surpassed in my opinion.
4 Death Star - Sinistar clone, but much easier to control than the arcade version.
3 Imogen - Loved the levels, the humour and the fact you could change into three different characters. The animation was superb too.
2 Starship Command - Well written, and loved the explosions of the alien ships.
1 Ghouls - Great platformer, where pin point accuracy was required!

fahrenheit1987

Post by fahrenheit1987 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:18 pm

10 Dare Devil Denis (I played it a lot)
9 Ghouls (and this, though it seems very unforgiving)
8 Danger UXB
7 Sabre Wulf
6 Blagger
5 Lords of Time
4 Elite (I know I've placed thus low but I didn't play it that much )
3 Frak!
2 Cylon Attack
1 Planetoid

This is all the games I played on the BBC, except for JCB Digger, which was much worse than any of these!