Greatest BBC Micro games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Greatest BBC Micro games

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:26 am

Please tell me your favourite BBC Micro games of all time.
You need to mark them in the following order
10 for your favourite BBC Micro Game to 1 for your least favourite BBC Micro game
If they are not put in this order or an entry is missing your list won't be included.

thebear

Re: Greatest BBC Micro games

Post by thebear » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:48 am

10 - Elite - can it possibly be anything else?
9 - Repton - amazed if these aren't everyones top two
8 - Chuckie Egg
7 - err sadly those are the only ones I recall playing
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:04 am

Here's my attempt, trying to stick to games that were original to the BBC or at their best on it:

10 Exile
9 Revs
8 Firetrack
7 Elite
6 The Sentinel
5 Cholo
4 Starship Command
3 Repton
2 Thrust
1 Frak

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:00 am

10. Imogen
9. Citadel
8. Elixir
7. Repton
6. Ravenskull
5. Arcadians
4. Stryker's Run
3. Thrust
2. Frak!
1. Hunchback
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:37 am

Mrs Koops is out but when she gets back I'll get her to do a list, she's mad for the BBC stuff and I can tell you now that her No1 will be Cybertron Mission

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:47 am

10.Exile - A simply staggering achievement, looks and plays like a dream.
9. Elite - Still I reckon to be the best 8-bit version of the game, mainly due to the analogue joysticks, smooth, fast and IMO a bit easier to get into than most of the others.
8. Codename Droid: Stryker's Run 2 - Just clicked with me this one, looks great, and is a tremendous leap up from the already decent original.
7. Citadel - Platform puzzling at it's best, huge in scope, difficult to master, but always fun.
6. Revs - When I first saw this, it really made a long lasting impression, was no good at it then, still not now.
5. Super Invaders - Still for me the best version of Space Invaders I have played, frantic gameplay, and just so loud with it!
4. Repton - Fiendishly difficult, with real thought needed in as little time as possible, pretty timeless.
3. Plan B - Seems to be better known as a classic Electron game, plays just the same superb game on a Beeb, but in colour.
2. Planetoid - The Beebs Defender, and one of the great versions IMO.
1. Cyber Attack - Great little space shooter, that gets seriously frantic very quickly, and manages a great sense of hopelessness against overwhelming odds.

Some really great exclusives the BBC had, I could list another 10 easily.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:47 am

I'm an absolute sucker for 80's unlicensed arcade conversions on the BBC.

10 Monsters (Space Panic)
9 Arcadians (Galaxian)
8 Rocket Raid (Scramble)
7 Killer Gorilla (Donkey Kong)
6 Mixed Grill March (If homebrew games count that is - Muscle March)
5 Planetoid (Defender)
4 Hopper (Frogger)
3 Snapper (Pac Man)
2 Death Star (Sinistar)
1 Mr Ee (Mr Do)
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:56 am

10. Imogen
9. Zap!
8. Boffin
7. Castle Quest
6. Citadel
5. Sim
4. Frak!
3. Blagger
2. Repton
1. Exile
Splink!

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:05 am

Snapper and elite nuff said
This guy are sick

Prof Mango B Coconut

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:41 am

Hurrah for the beeb!

10. Repton. My all time favourite game.
09. Elite. This was a really visionary title and still surprises me that it fits in 32Kb of RAM.
08. Meteors. A clone of Asteroids it may be, but it's a good one.
07. The Last Ninja. A surprisingly good port. Some highly frustrating jumping bits, though.
06. Rocket Raid. As a kid I always had trouble with the yellow maze level. UP! UP! UP! *crash*
05. Stryker's Run. The original army man in green armour and helmet.
04. Cylon Attack. This was my first "zone" game. One Saturday morning I was so tuned into it I got to level 50 or something ridiculous like that.
03. Planetoid. Another top-noptch clone, this time of Defender.
02. Revs.I think this may have been the first attempt at a racing simulator. I never did know what to do with the wing settings, which probably explains why I crashed so frequently :)
01. Exile. Another technical marvel, hard to control though and very tough to know what to do. I actually sent off to Superior for the walk-through.

I could probably do a top 50 of my favourite beeb games!
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:13 am

10. Repton 3
9. Elite
8. The Sentinel
7. Killer Gorilla
6. Meteors!
5. Castle Quest
4. Chuckie Egg
3. Frak!
2. Rocket Raid
1. Arcadians

Also a question - a game that should be on this list but I can't remember the name. The main thing I remember was that the hero looked like an Ultimate (A.C.G.) character, like the knight or wizard from Atic Atac. It was a medieval platform arcade-adventure with objects to collect and use, and the castle and dungeons were horizontally-scrolling chambers. It was in colour, but not as colourful as Citadel or Castle Quest.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:24 am

It's interesting to see Revs get a couple of votes from people, despite them never managing to get to grips with playing it! For the wing settings try 25/16 to start with - you can go a bit lower for more speed but it becomes harder to steer - and practice, practice, practice. Just slogging around the track in first gear is achievement enough for a beginner; you can worry about moving through the gears, braking and racing lines later.

I don't think it was quite the first sim racer, as Chequered Flag on the Spectrum pre-dates it at the very least, but it was still a landmark game in the genre that wasn't significantly bettered until Crammond's own Formula One Grand Prix on the 16-bit machines.

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:51 am

I don't think I can name 10 that I've played. I definitely like Elite best, then Chuckie Egg, but after that I'm struggling to think of others I played on it and liked. We had some at school, and a friend had an Electron, but we mainly played Elite on the Electron, and at school we mainly played games on the PETs.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Prof Mango B Coconut

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:05 am

Matt_B wrote:It's interesting to see Revs get a couple of votes from people, despite them never managing to get to grips with playing it! For the wing settings try 25/16 to start with - you can go a bit lower for more speed but it becomes harder to steer - and practice, practice, practice. Just slogging around the track in first gear is achievement enough for a beginner; you can worry about moving through the gears, braking and racing lines later.

I don't think it was quite the first sim racer, as Chequered Flag on the Spectrum pre-dates it at the very least, but it was still a landmark game in the genre that wasn't significantly bettered until Crammond's own Formula One Grand Prix on the 16-bit machines.
This video brought back many happy memories - I did get much better at it than this guy though :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBEVnr71mno
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:21 am

Prof Mango B Coconut wrote:This video brought back many happy memories - I did get much better at it than this guy though :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBEVnr71mno
I think that's what everyone does first time. You go racing through the chicane, hit the kerb and off flying through the air. Boom.