Goonies I

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ihaveaquestion3

Goonies I

Post by ihaveaquestion3 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:12 pm

I was searching around the website and I was shocked to find out that there was a Goonies I game. Goonies II is without a doubt my favorite NES game. I had always assumed that it was called Goonies II because Goonies I was the movie...To think that my entire life has been a lie up to this point....

Anywho, I immediately searched around to see if I could get me a copy of this and came across a few claiming to have the Engrish translations. Before I spend money on it, I wanted to get some opinions on the game. Looking at a few youtube videos, it looks similar to II.

If you've played it, let me know what you think. The prices I've seen are around $30...I know it's a little subjective, but do you think it's worth that price?

Misery

Re: Goonies I

Post by Misery » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:48 am

Dont get TOO excited about this one. Goonies 2 remains one of my all-time favorite NES games as well, and I'd had the same reaction so many years ago when I encountered the original for the first time, but the original plays NOTHING like the second game.

The second game is an exploration-heavy Metroidvania sort of game with the "adventure scene" elements thrown in, so it's a pretty unique game, but the first is a pure and rather basic/simple platformer. No exploration or special Metroid-ish powerups to find... merely complete each level in order. The levels have a little more complexity to them than just "scroll to the right", but still, overall they're pretty simple. The overall "feel" of the game, in terms of how the character moves and enemy patterns and area design is kinda similar, and you still have bombs that you drop, but that's about where the similarities end. Fighting enemies is way more irritating in the first game due to the fact that you have absolutely zero range on your kick attack, which is pretty much your only attack. In the second game, the yo-yo extends out a bit, giving you a decent melee weapon, but the first one... yeah, you're going to crash into enemies pretty often just due to trying to kick them. The bombs that you use are strictly for opening the skull doors.

There are some special items to be found, but for the most part they're all hidden. They kinda remind me of various hidden items in Super Pitfall... there's zero visual hints or indicators that they are there, and you must already know in advance, or get lucky and jump in just the right place in order to find them. The exceptions are items that are in the skull doors.

That being said, it's still a decent game, just nowhere near what the second game is. As for translations, I cant imagine why it'd need any... there's no characters to talk to or anything like that in this one. The ending screen has exactly 4 words on it, one of which is of course misspelled in the version that I've played. ....that's it for text as far as I know. It's also worth noting that this is a very short game.

Is it worth 30? I guess that just depends on how badly you want it.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:59 am

In my experience, these are the type og game that pop in carboots/flea markets a lot because old dears think games of famous movies sell better. Perhaps you could try your hand at picking up a copy at a flea market cheaper than $30?

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:17 am

SoupDragon wrote:In my experience, these are the type og game that pop in carboots/flea markets a lot because old dears think games of famous movies sell better. Perhaps you could try your hand at picking up a copy at a flea market cheaper than $30?

The problem with the first game is that it never released outside of Japan.... is why many dont know about it. It did hit the states in the form of Nintendo's funky "VS" arcade cabinets, as it could sometimes be found among the game lists on those (which is where I found it), but other than that.... yeah, Japan only. So it's a bit of a pain to get.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:45 am

Ah right gotcha! Was wondering how it passed me by lol

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:57 am

Misery wrote:
SoupDragon wrote:In my experience, these are the type og game that pop in carboots/flea markets a lot because old dears think games of famous movies sell better. Perhaps you could try your hand at picking up a copy at a flea market cheaper than $30?

The problem with the first game is that it never released outside of Japan.... is why many dont know about it. It did hit the states in the form of Nintendo's funky "VS" arcade cabinets, as it could sometimes be found among the game lists on those (which is where I found it), but other than that.... yeah, Japan only. So it's a bit of a pain to get.
Only Goonies game I knew as a child was this one.
was a great game too!

ihaveaquestion3

Post by ihaveaquestion3 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:01 am

Thanks for the input everyone.

I think I'll go ahead and get it. I like the collection aspect of these old games, along with playing them, so it should be a nice addition even if it only sits on my shelf.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:48 pm

The Datasoft game is ace.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:05 pm

sscott wrote:Only Goonies game I knew as a child was this one.
was a great game too!
Absolutely and it was also the first game I ever completed on my 800XL :D

WesY2K

Post by WesY2K » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:52 am

I played that on the C64. That was a great game. And the Cyndi Lauper song sounded great in that version, too. But never got far as a kid.

Anyone played the remake?

skylarking

Post by skylarking » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:13 am

Also played the Datasoft game, on an Apple IIe.
ENTER IF YOU DARE
PRESS ANY KEY

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:40 pm

Misery wrote:Dont get TOO excited about this one. Goonies 2 remains one of my all-time favorite NES games as well, and I'd had the same reaction so many years ago when I encountered the original for the first time, but the original plays NOTHING like the second game.

The second game is an exploration-heavy Metroidvania sort of game with the "adventure scene" elements thrown in, so it's a pretty unique game, but the first is a pure and rather basic/simple platformer. No exploration or special Metroid-ish powerups to find... merely complete each level in order. The levels have a little more complexity to them than just "scroll to the right", but still, overall they're pretty simple. The overall "feel" of the game, in terms of how the character moves and enemy patterns and area design is kinda similar, and you still have bombs that you drop, but that's about where the similarities end. Fighting enemies is way more irritating in the first game due to the fact that you have absolutely zero range on your kick attack, which is pretty much your only attack. In the second game, the yo-yo extends out a bit, giving you a decent melee weapon, but the first one... yeah, you're going to crash into enemies pretty often just due to trying to kick them. The bombs that you use are strictly for opening the skull doors.

There are some special items to be found, but for the most part they're all hidden. They kinda remind me of various hidden items in Super Pitfall... there's zero visual hints or indicators that they are there, and you must already know in advance, or get lucky and jump in just the right place in order to find them. The exceptions are items that are in the skull doors.

That being said, it's still a decent game, just nowhere near what the second game is. As for translations, I cant imagine why it'd need any... there's no characters to talk to or anything like that in this one. The ending screen has exactly 4 words on it, one of which is of course misspelled in the version that I've played. ....that's it for text as far as I know. It's also worth noting that this is a very short game.

Is it worth 30? I guess that just depends on how badly you want it.
Don't forget the awesome 8-bit rendition of Goonies 'r good enough. That's worth 30 bucks on its own, surely?

I've only ever played the first game, didn't even realise there was a sequel.

rupert

Post by rupert » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:07 pm

I have the Samsung Gam*Boy (Korean Sega Master System) version, this photo isnt mine but same thing..

Misery

Post by Misery » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:08 pm

theantmeister wrote: Don't forget the awesome 8-bit rendition of Goonies 'r good enough. That's worth 30 bucks on its own, surely?

I've only ever played the first game, didn't even realise there was a sequel.

Second game has the same song in it, actually. And then some additional music for other area types.

I will say I've always really liked the music in it. Particularly the underwater theme, though there arent that many of that type of zone in the game.