Great videogame icons

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Great videogame icons

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:17 am

We are planning a big feature where we look at the best videogame characters of all time and speak to developers about how they are created. We'd love your input on this.

Please vote for the ten videogame characters that have defined gaming for you. Feel free to add why you think they're important and use the normal 10 point vote system we've been using in the past.
So 10 for the best/most important 1for the least best/important.
Mine would be
Strider 10
Pac-Man 9
Mario 8
Link 7
Sabre Man 6
Lara Croft 5
Samus Arun 4
Snake 3
Miner Willy 2
Monty Mole 1
Mario

thebear

Re: Great videogame icons

Post by thebear » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:22 am

most important 1st

10) Pacman - started it all, gamings 1st mainstream superstar
9) Mario
8) Sonic
7) Link
6) Lara Croft
5) Galaxian Flagship - 1st appearances in Galaxians, Pacman, Galaga and Dig Dug. That's some resume!
4) Master Chief
3) Horace
2) Donkey Kong
1) Snake
Last edited by thebear on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

ulala

Post by ulala » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:08 am

One reply in, and the 10 point voting system is already messed up (as usual). By the 2nd page of the threads, I have absolutely no idea if the game/character with a 10 is either "10 points" or position #10 in a top 10.

Why not just stick to asking for a "top 10"?

Everyone understands what you mean by that with the #1 position being the best and #10 being 10th best. It is clear and unambiguous.

If you want to then convert them into points afterwards to form a ranking, that would be very easy - you already have to do it for half the replies (like in the example above). It would make things less time consuming as they would all be pointing in the same direction.

I know its a poll for a magazine and not for medical research (even though ive seen it happen and brushed under the carpet in research!) but if it can be made easier and clear so that you obtain reliable results, why not change it?

thebear

Post by thebear » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:10 am

ulala wrote:One reply in, and the 10 point voting system is already messed up (as usual). By the 2nd page of the threads, I have absolutely no idea if the game/character with a 10 is either "10 points" or position #10 in a top 10.

Why not just stick to asking for a "top 10"?

Everyone understands what you mean by that with the #1 position being the best and #10 being 10th best. It is clear and unambiguous.

If you want to then convert them into points afterwards to form a ranking, that would be very easy - you already have to do it for half the replies (like in the example above). It would make things less time consuming as they would all be pointing in the same direction.

I know its a poll for a magazine and not for medical research (even though ive seen it happen and brushed under the carpet in research!) but if it can be made easier and clear so that you obtain reliable results, why not change it?
fixed mine now

sorry!
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:24 am

For me personally through all my years of gaming...

10 Sabreman
9 Horace
8 Space Invader (skull one)
7 Sonic
6 Duke Nukem
5 Mario
4 Doom marine
3 Monty Mole
2 Dynamite Dan
1 John Madden

Prof Mango B Coconut

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:24 am

Here's my list...

Sonic 10pts - A far cooler, far better mascot than Alex Kidd.
Lara Croft 9pts - The figurehead of a new generation that changed everything.
George Stobbart 8pts - An absolutely brilliant character! Only George could get away with showing Nico's knickers to the world!
Jade (BG&E) 7pts - for proving that there could be more than one decent female lead in games.
Manuel "Manny" Calavera (Grim Fandango) 6pts
Pac-Man 5pts - even people who have never played a game know who this fellow is.
Headdy (from Dynamite Headdy) 4pts
Ryu (Street Fighter) 3pts
Rayman 2pts
Dig-Dug 1pts
Last edited by Prof Mango B Coconut on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:32 am

10 points - Mario
9 - Pacman
8 - Sonic
7 - Ryu
6 - Link
5 - Pitfall harry
4 - Megaman
3 - Billy And Jimmy
2 -Bub and Bob
1 point- Simon Belmont

So many I had to miss off such as Solid Snake etc
Last edited by RodimusPrime on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:39 am

1- Doomguy - because he's king of awesome
2 - Ryu - because he's king of unarmed awesome
3 - Gordon Freeman - because he's a badass nerd
4 - ED-E - because he's the best robot in gaming
4 - Pitfall bloke - because it's the game I've played most on MAME according to the stats
5 - Hitman - because he's proper hard
6 - Wonderboy - simply because of the rather awesome WBIIItdt
7 - Thorin - because he sits down and sings about gold
8 - Koopa - because he's Koopa
9 - Wesker - beacuse he's cool as f##k
10 - Tonton Zola Mokouko - because he's a champ manager LEGEND

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:45 am

ulala wrote:One reply in, and the 10 point voting system is already messed up (as usual).......
....and Darran had 11 in his list :lol:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:06 am

The mouse cursor = 10
"Start button" = 9
D-pad = 8
X = 7
A button = 6
B = 5
Square/X/Y = 4
Circle = 3
C = 2
Triangle/Z = 1
Waiting glass = -10

ulala

Post by ulala » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:16 am

koopa42 wrote:1- Doomguy - because he's king of awesome
4 - Pitfall bloke - because it's the game I've played most on MAME according to the stats
See what i mean, darran?

How can you be sure whats in position 1 and worth 10 points or position 10 worth 10 points?

please, i beg of you kind sir, to just ask for a "top 10"

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:32 am

10 Space Invader Alien
9 Pacman
8 Dig Dug
7 Mario
6 Lemming
5 Megaman
4 Bub or Bob
3 Arthur (from Ghosts 'n Goblins)
2 Master Chief
1 Lara Croft

That's in point order, with the space invader alien getting 10 points down to Lara Croft with 1 point.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:33 am

10 - Gordon Freeman (Half-Life) - Yes, a very left-field choice. But, for me, one of my fave videogame icons. A very fresh and original take on what a "hero" should be. He is just cool without a fuss.

09 - Master Chief (HALO series) - He is, by all definitions, THE current and most instantly recognisable ICON in games today. Has that aura of mystery that comes with most interesting characters (such as Boba Fett).

08 - Scorpion (MORTAL KOMBAT series) Posterboy for the series, and a fan fave. When he cries "Get over here" - you gonna be in for an a55 whoopin. Ultra violent, free roaming, demonic soul with a lot of family issues. Surely lots of people can relate to that?

07 - Sonic the Hedgehog - Fantastic design, lovely color, has speed and "attitude". For me personally, was the perfect remedy to the rather dull Mario.

06 - Pac Man - Well, I HAD too include at least one that symbolises "videogaming"

05 - Duke Nukem - Had way more character than Doom guy ever did, classic one liners, and the archetype you would find in most late 80's/ early 90's action movies. Your pure-bred All American Hero.

04 - Ferrari Testarossa - I will probably get a lot of "you can't have that" from others, but Outrun IS a videogame icon. Therefore, by default, I have to say the pixellated Ferrari Testarossa is the icon of this game. Ferrari is also synonymous with Outrun.

03 - Lara Croft - Sadly due to how she was originally portrayed - with the emphasis on her...ahem....large puppies, I wouldn't say she was a "Great" icon. She is an icon all the same, and is recognised the world over. Created as a typical male-fantasy, she does not help the stereotype that most game players are male. Still, she was a refreshing take on the "hero" character. However, if you are looking for a true feminist pioneer in videogames, that'd be Seamus from Metroid :D

02 - Ryu (Street Fighter Series) - I was never really into Street Fighter all that much, but Ryu is THE definition of Street Fighter. Hard as nails. Even the embarrasment of originally having Ginger hair didn't get to him. He's truly that Badd A55!

01 - Mario - I can't stand him. But he is the most recognised "Videogame Icon" so he must be included by default. Fat, old and with a moustache. He reminds me of Ron Jeremy.
Last edited by DoraemonTheCat on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:37 am

koopa42 wrote:ED-E - because he's the best robot in gaming
ED-E My Love is easily the best quest in Fallout New Vegas. I wish I had that little tune he plays as my ringtone.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:50 pm

ulala wrote:
koopa42 wrote:1- Doomguy - because he's king of awesome
See what i mean, darran?

How can you be sure whats in position 1 and worth 10 points or position 10 worth 10 points?

please, i beg of you kind sir, to just ask for a "top 10"

My list means: 1 being the best, 10 being the worst of the best