Classic compilations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

hydr0x

Re: Classic compilations

Post by hydr0x » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:04 am

Seems like I have to add a PC flavor to this topic :wink:

A bit hit or miss, but I always had a soft spot for the Megapak series, here are some examples:

Nothing beats these two though, without a doubt the best PC compilations ever released with an insane amount of fun to be had for peanuts:

Play the Games - Vol. 1 (this is the back cover as it lists the games)
(note: Bleifuss Fun is known as Ignition in the UK)

Gold Games 2 (back cover again)

The latter especially deserves mention. It was released in 1997 for 50DM (which as about 15 quid at the time iirc). Yes, 15 quid. For that you got 4 of the best adventure games ever made (Broken Sword, King's Quest 7, Toonstruck, Orion Burger), two of the best helicopter sims of all time (HIND, Apache Longbow), 2 of the top strategy games (Z, Panzer General), the PC port of Virtua Fighter, the best pc arcade racer (Screamer), the best isometric soccer game (Action Soccer, yes, I'm not kidding, go play it), a top notch RPG (Realms of Arkania: Shadows over Riva), one of the best pinball games (Tilt!) and the second best mech game of the time (EarthSiege 2). Even some of the filler (War Wind, Bermuda Syndrome, Knight's Chase, AIV Networks) is actually well worth playing.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:06 am

Almost forgot: Gold Games 3 was another highlight reel as you can see:

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:05 am

Sega mega drive ultimate collection is pretty good :D

Also, has anyone mentioned live ammo yet? It was also known as live action. That was pretty good.

Eat your nans pants

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:34 am

US Gold's 'Arcade Hall of Fame' was one of my favourites, for the Commodore 64. It featured Aztec Challenge, Blue Max, Spy Hunter, Tapper and Up 'n' Down. I'd already played them all but didn't own any of them so I snapped this up when I saw it.

I was gutted, though, when I got home and found that Blue Max had been replaced by Dropzone. I hated Dropzone because it was too hard and I was rubbish at it, much like I hated Defender in the arcades because it was too hard and I was rubbish at it. However, I forced myself to play Dropzone and eventually grew to like it and appreciate it as the great shmup it is. I wouldn't say I ever got good at it, though!

'Five Star Games' on the C64 was another great one... featuring Batalyx, Equinox, Scarabaeus, Spindizzy and Zoids, it was a real top-notch package of quality games.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:58 pm

hydr0x wrote:Seems like I have to add a PC flavor to this topic :wink:
Also on the PC... Duke Nukem 3D! It had a load of extra games on the disc, hidden away in some folder or other:

-Duke Nukem
-Duke Nukem II
-Terminal Velocity
-Rise of the Triad
-Wacky Wheels
-Realms of Chaos
-Raptor: Call of the Shadows

Mostly shareware versions, but it was a nice surprise to find them at the time :D
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.