Classic compilations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

imaxeroker85

Re: Classic compilations

Post by imaxeroker85 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:18 pm

I remember my dad bought himself a MD when he got me mine for Christmas, and we both ended up with two different Mega Cartridges. Those sets were epic. I remember trading back and fourth with him. That's how i fell in love with Golden Axe, Streets of Rage and Alien Storm. Also played way to much World Cup Italia and Super Monaco GP then i should of with those two cartridges.

As for some awesome comps on modern consoles:

SEGA Classics Collection (PS2) 6 classic versions and 6 SEGA AGES versions of some sweet games. I remember when I played the SEGA AGES version of Golden Axes years back it blew my mind.

MIDWAY Arcade Treasures 2 (PS2/XBOX) Got to play so many games that I wouldn't of any other way. Love NARC, Primal Rage, Arch Rivals and even Pitfighter on that disc.

Activison Anthology (PS2) Just recently picked this up again. Love the lay out, makes me nostalgic just seeing the 2600 carts on the rack.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:39 pm

NorthWay wrote:The Lost Treasures of Infocom.

I can't do that justice so I'll just shut up now.

I agree it was a fantastic collection of games, unfortunately it didn't contain any of the feelies that came with the original big box versions. Which was a shame, as they added a lot to the overall feel of the games.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:57 pm

Crash Smashes were great, especially the Monty Mole release. Brilliant quality of games, and a good variety of genres with each release.

Five Star Games by Beau Jolly also provided a juicy selection for play. Though even now I still fail to understand Zoids....

The Ultimate Collection. Sure, it's note quite a full history, which is a pity; but with such a majestic legacy we can surely live with a missing few titles, can't we? Can any software house claim to have such a vault full of riches as Ultimate Play The Game? (Except Rare?)

Compilations for me were a fabulous way to fill my Spectrum collection with games I actually wanted. Very little got ignored. Sadly, once the 8-bit scene fizzled out gaming took a back seat and collections for the 16-bits and beyond failed to interest me sufficiently to purchase any. I think I have a couple for the Amiga tucked away somewhere, and a Battle Isle set for the pc but that's about it. Would've bought plenty of arcade collections for the PS2, but my system's laser must be suffering as it fails to read some releases at all - usually the blue-tinted discs. Still, I don't feel as though I have missed out. And nothing has come close to the time of the Spectrum (and, to a degree, the C64).

What collections would interest me, though (especially if I didn't already own all/most of the titles, anyway):

SPECTRUM
Monty On The Run - THE greatest platformer, a tougher game than the C64's (but that version does have the greatest tune!)
Pentagram - an overlooked gem
Quazatron - THE greatest Spectrum game of them all
Commando - THE greatest conversion of the game
Bomb Jack - The greatest conversion of the game
I, of the Mask - an absorbing and unique game, certainly for its time
Helter Skelter - great fun

SPECTRUM
Vulcan - a brilliant strategy title, as absorbing as any of the 16-bit and beyond greats
Lords of Midnight - epic in every sense
Shadowfire - thoroughly absorbing
Rebelstar Raiders - a classic
Psi Chess - I like chess; and this provided a stern test when no-one dared face me

AMIGA
Sensible World of Soccer - THE greatest sports game on any system, ever
Battle Isle - thoroughly entertaining, whether in one or two player mode
Apidya - a great shooter, tough, well layed out and colourful
Harlequin - a platforming box of delights
No Second Prize - very entertaining motocycle racer
Fire and Ice - cutesy-cutesy platform action

ARCADE (if it were possible to 'box-up' actual machines!)
Outrun (sit down) - one of the greatest
Space Harrier (hydraulic) - fabulous fun
Twin Cobra - one of my fave shooters
Super Hang-On (bike) - yeah!
Star Wars (surround cabinet) - classic
Xybots - a quirky gem
Rolling Thunder - old-skool action
Biomechanical Toy - just so much fun, fun, fun
Sexy Parodius - brilliantly bonkers, a thoroughly entertaining shooter

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:29 pm

Friendlyware on PC. My earliest gaming memories centre around this compilation. I particularly remember the frustrating Killermaze.
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:48 am

imaxeroker85 wrote:I remember my dad bought himself a MD when he got me mine for Christmas, and we both ended up with two different Mega Cartridges. Those sets were epic. I remember trading back and fourth with him. That's how i fell in love with Golden Axe, Streets of Rage and Alien Storm. Also played way to much World Cup Italia and Super Monaco GP then i should of with those two cartridges.

As for some awesome comps on modern consoles:

SEGA Classics Collection (PS2) 6 classic versions and 6 SEGA AGES versions of some sweet games. I remember when I played the SEGA AGES version of Golden Axes years back it blew my mind.

MIDWAY Arcade Treasures 2 (PS2/XBOX) Got to play so many games that I wouldn't of any other way. Love NARC, Primal Rage, Arch Rivals and even Pitfighter on that disc.

Activison Anthology (PS2) Just recently picked this up again. Love the lay out, makes me nostalgic just seeing the 2600 carts on the rack.
The sega multicarts were awesome, I think most of the games on there are on the ps2 mega drive collection, streets of rage isnt but is on the later version on ps3

I have all the ps2 compilations you mentioned (and atari anthology, and all the other midway stuff, and taito legends)

Capcom have some interesting compilations but they are expensive

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:29 am

Konami Coin Op Hits

Green Beret
Hyper Sports
Mikie
Yie ar Kung Fu
and some table tennis game

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:34 pm

Softaid, C64, was amazing value and made me feel righteous and virtuous for buying it. Actually I think I made my parents buy it for me. But hey! it was a great way to get a bunch of new games! Kokotoni Wilf and Star Trader are memorable and Gilligan's Gold too.

They Sold a million, again on C64, was a great selection of games - I'm fairly sure I hadn't bought any of the games included individually so it was well worth it.

The first compilation I ever had for my Commodore was Select 1. Image
It had a good variation of genres, text adventures, platformers, shoot 'em ups and arcade games. Some were definitely playable and fun but there were undoubtedly some real stinkers - Denis Through the Looking Glass & Purple Turtles need to be mentioned. There were arcade clones, Hexpert, Kong & Mr Wimpy and Hunchback. I think I remember having the most fun with Ring of Power, Moon Buggy, Wimpy and Hunchback although i'm struggling to remember all the games.

I have to add though that although these compilations sounded great, and looked great on the shelves in the local shop, I often found it a real pain to get the games to load consistently. Maybe low quality recording or hardware? I don't know but I do remember having to return a number of compilations. Also, finding the start point of games on cassettes that included multiple games on each side was also a chore.

To rectify the tape loading I got Beau Jolly Big Box 2 on disk. 6 disks in total I think! Dan Dare, Driller, Barbarian 2, Que Dex, Sanxion, Hunters Moon,Iridis Alpha and more. This was, IS - I still have it, a serious contender for best compilation.

Alarm

Post by Alarm » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:19 am

Black Ridge wrote:Taito Legends 1 & 2 have to be my favourites. Such great value for fantastic bundles of games. Just a shame the other Taito compilations never reached the UK.
Indeed. I would have loved them to have compiled a Taito Legends 3 which had some of the 'missing' games: Chase H.Q., S.C.I., Rastan Saga III, Sagaia, Bubble Memories, Master of Weapon, Halley's Comet, etc.

mr gryzor

Post by mr gryzor » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:39 pm

Game,Set,and Match sports compilation for the C64 was one of my faves.
The Hewson xmas box compilation was great value too.
C64-Atari ST-PC Engine-Sega Megadrive-SNES-Neo Geo-Sony Playstation-N64-Dreamcast-Gamecube-XBOX-Nintendo Wii-XBOX360-XBOX ONE

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:49 am

EPYX BLUE RIBBON GAME PAK (yes, it actually says Pak on the cover) on cassette for Commodore 64. Holy smokes - you got World Games, Summer Gamer, Winter Gamer, Super Cycle, and some rubbish wrestling game all for, I think it was, $19.95 at the time. Incredible value, considering most of the games scored very highly in Zzap! and World Games in particular got 98% and was still fairly new. I can still hear the sound of the cassettes as I pulled them out of their transparent plastic mould, and I salivated slightly as I thought of the game I would be playing after a short, perhaps 45 minute, load. I didn't mind, I would look at that pack - I mean pak - play with it, probably smell it, maybe even lick it a bit, made all the more worthwhile for the fact that I saved up every cent, bicycling to the driving range every day picking up golf balls in the mid-winter mud. I made sure I enjoyed EVERY LAST DAMN SECOND, and my only regret is that I dont have it now... just cant believe I got rid of something like that. Oh well, good memories.. I shall always have them at least. :wink:
Last edited by ncf1 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:56 am

there was another one, I just cant remember the title of it though, it had Last Ninja 2 and.. some other, i just dont remember, maybe it had Heroes in the title, but that was amazing value. It might have had 6 titles, not sure, but Last Ninja 2 was a recent release on c64 and this compilation was incredible value.. have to try and see what it was called, of course i leant it to some chump not long after purchasing it and do you think he ever gave it back.. why did we do that as kids, why lend something so precious? It was the way these people would promise you.. "I swear, I SWEAR on my mums grave I'll give it back to you tomorrow, i just want it overnight so i can clock it and and and.." YEAH RIGHT. Lying bastard... i will kill him if I see him on the street. Actually cant remember what he looks like though.. damn blast..

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:47 am

Surprised no-one mention 'Sega Ages!' for the Sega Saturn?

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:11 pm

I think the only compilations I owned was the Commodore 16 Classic's by Gremlins(still have this and the Elite Hit Pack 1 & 2 which Parents got me for Christmas.. I only liked Bombjack 2 and Airwolf 2 the rest where garbage, Ghosts and Goblins with 4 levels and the Ikatuu impossible to beat even with Autofire there was 2 on the second level but easy to get to them with so few monsters!! A crap Punch Out game with Frank Bruno, BOMB Jack With no power ups.. Friend lent me the Beau Jolly collection on Commodore 16 they where really good

And a Commodore compilation with West Bank and Jack the nipper hours of fun, came in a polystyrene box not sure of the name..

Now the only collection I own is a 32 on 1 Atari 2600 cart with Flash Gordan, Day the Earth Stood still and Frogger 2 from the deep
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ciderman

Post by ciderman » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:38 pm

I had a few lovely ones on the Spectrum back in the day, with the likes of Ikari Warriors on it.

But lately the ones to get the most attention are the two Capcom collections on the PSP, they're very nice and if you are running an un-modded machine a good way to bring the games with you on the go.

The usual suspects are owned on the PS2, Taito, Williams and so on.
The PS1 though, I have a nice 4 disk Capcom collection there, also the complete 6 disk Namco Museum collection is stunning.

Lately I have picked up the Pacman/Galaga collection on the 3DS, coming with both 3DS exclusives from both franchises as well as their innovative XBLA reboots, particularly welcome is Pacman Championship Edition. But of note to retrogamers are the pitch perfect arcade originals, with the 3D effect of the host console allowing a lovely curved arcade monitor effect, replicating the feeling of playing the arcade game bezel and all,this can be turned off with the 3D strength slider on the device or you can play in full screen mode, with or without the 3D effect.
Colecovision under repair! Superior Donkey Kong incoming!!

STranger81

Re: Best compilations

Post by STranger81 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:53 pm

batman877 wrote:
Giants (1988) [U.S Gold]
1. 720 Degrees
2. California Games
3. Gauntlet 2
4. Out Run
5. Rolling Thunder
This. I remember picking this up from my local indie shop and I already had 720 degrees but it wasn't too expensive IIRC so it didn't matter. Had some hours spent with this compilation.

Out of interest Batman, with you being from Derbyshire, did you ever venture to Computa Centre in Belper?
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81