Classic compilations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Morkin

Re: Classic compilations

Post by Morkin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:40 pm

Does anyone know which Spectrum compilation came in a largish white, plastic cassette holder? I think it had two cassettes, but the name of it escapes me. :oops:

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:56 pm

We Are The Champions was a cracking compilation. Worth it for Renegade, IK+ and Barbarian alone. I also had a couple of the Five Star Beau Jolly ones, which I think we're blue and red. It gave me my first taste of Aliens, Quazetron, Highway Encounter and Tau Ceti. Special mention was to Konami Arcade Hits (which had Green Beret, Mikie, Ping Pong, Yie Ar Kung Fu and Hyper Sports) and Screen Heroes, which gave us the god awful Knight Rider and Highlander.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:59 pm

Ocean put out some amazing ones.

The In Crowd, Magnificent 7, Taito Arcade Classics and Night Moves were all brilliant.

Beau Jolly's compilations were outstanding value too, had a few of them.

fahrenheit1987

Post by fahrenheit1987 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:57 pm

My favourite compilations came out under the c90 tape brand and were produced by Lee Chestnut at my school.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:35 pm

Morkin wrote:Does anyone know which Spectrum compilation came in a largish white, plastic cassette holder? I think it had two cassettes, but the name of it escapes me. :oops:

Pretty certain that was 10 Computer Hits 1

Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:42 pm

We are the champions - Spec
Magnificent 7 - Spec
Screen Heroes - Spec
The Delphine Collection - Amiga
Beau Jolly Collection - Amiga
The Big 6 - CD32
Acid Attack - CD32
Help! - Ps1

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:45 pm

The Ultimate Collection was pretty good (although it wasn't the complete collection)

At the time Konami Coin Op Hits was easily the best. Most compilations hd some duffers, but with Green Beret , Mikie, Yie Ar Kung Fu , Ping Pong and Hyper Sports, every title was a stone-cold classic.

As for the worst, well Cassette (with free calculator watch!) was easily the worst. silverbird's 'Don't Buy This' was (Ithink) the first budget compilation to feature previously unrealeased (unreleasable?!) games.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Dam

Post by Dam » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:18 pm

Anything on speccy disk, so you don't have to wait 10 mins for it to not load properly!

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:27 pm

Taito Legends 1 & 2 have to be my favourites. Such great value for fantastic bundles of games. Just a shame the other Taito compilations never reached the UK.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:41 pm

Sonic Jam for the Saturn. Really enjoyed the convenience of all 4 MD games (including lock-on capability) on one disc plus the conversions were perfect.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:43 pm

Oh, can't forget Activision Hits Remixed for the PSP. Some great games with a very well presented front end and some great 80s music. How all retro collections should be.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

davyK

Post by davyK » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:16 pm

I remember getting a best of US Gold compilation for my CPC464 - Gauntlet, Leaderboard, Infiltrator & Winter Games + another game I can't remember....

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:26 pm

EA replay on psp is a good one,mainly because it has 3 road rash games and 2 strike games.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:48 pm

To go with my earlier nods, I have to mention Durell's Big 4 collections on Spectrum, the first one having Saboteur, Critical Mass, Turbo Esprit and Combat Lynx, all excellent games, the second one let down by Deep Strike and Sigma 7, but brilliant if you did not already own Thanatos and Saboteur II.

Also the 4 Crash Smashes set that had Spy Hunter, Alien 8, Night Gunner and Dun Darach, excellent stuff, and the second one with Sweevo's World, Monty On The Run, Starquake and Bounder was not half bad either.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:23 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
Morkin wrote:Does anyone know which Spectrum compilation came in a largish white, plastic cassette holder? I think it had two cassettes, but the name of it escapes me. :oops:

Pretty certain that was 10 Computer Hits 1

That's the one. Thanks for that. :D