How long before the X-Box is officially dead.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

davrho

Post by davrho » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:10 am

In my opinion the xbox was the best console since the saturn. Sad to see it killed off so quick. Its online service was great. It opened up on line gaming. The 360 is a worthy replacement.

I enjoyed Fable. If there is a list of xbox classics this should be included

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:30 am

It was the only console of its gen I liked. I like my FPS's, I like my raceing games and I like fighitng games so this seemed to be the best option. It done away with the 101-memory-cards-in-the-corner-that -eventually-corupt problem as its hardrive could store huge amounts of information. The games played and looked better than the Sony equivilant. Im kinda peeved now that I did sell it as it was a nice machine and one of the two machines that were acctually brought in their current gen, the other being the Saturn. Portable wise though I have had a PSP more recently and I got an SP when it came out. I sold the SP to my little brother so I had the money but I could still play it and I traded the PSP as it just really wasnt my cup of tea. I may buy another XBOX one day as I also plan to get a 360. I need a job first though.
Watching you sleep since 1990

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:45 am

paranoid marvin wrote:compare PS1 to PS2 , the improvement between the XBOX and 360 is far greater .
From what I have seen I disagree. The PS2 was a major step forward and I am not sure the 360 moves things forward any further than the PS's did.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:10 am

The Penultimate Ninja wrote: Jet Set Radio Future. To my mind one of the best games on the big black box. I loved the Dreamcast original and the Xbox version improved on it in so many ways.
And it's £3.99 in GAME. And in the 3 for 2.

It's boarderline criminal not to have it.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:23 am

I worked in Game over xmas as a temp and activley told people not to buy an xbox as it was a dead console.Scarface was one of the last big titles of the year for it and 07 doesnt yield much. I steered the people with little money to the Ps2 as it has a little bit of life left in it, the box is dead along with the cube.
saddens me too as it was the next gen i went for first, though I have them all now including wii and 360,no ps3 though.
The xbox has some great games ,however my favourite last/next gen console was the Gamecube it couldnt do the graphics but the games are amazing.
I also think that if your really broke an original ps1 can yield a whole pile of excellent software, so much in fact you most probably wouldnt be able to play it all.Gran Turismo 2 for a start still rocks my world,even if the gfx are god-awful by gt4's standards. and the isolation I felt in-game during playing Tomb raider 1 I have never seen matched in another game.
It has such a great atmosphere does part 1
Retro when it wasnt cool

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:38 pm

a PS1 with Tomb Raider 1 , Ridge Racer Revolution and Brian Lara Cricket would keep me happy for quite a while
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:38 pm

One bad word I will say against the xbox is that it doesn't have quite the library the PS2 does - you don't get the japanese games like Ibara etc.

fordie020376

Post by fordie020376 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:51 pm

SirClive wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:compare PS1 to PS2 , the improvement between the XBOX and 360 is far greater .
From what I have seen I disagree. The PS2 was a major step forward and I am not sure the 360 moves things forward any further than the PS's did.
Def have to disagree....

The 360 is sooooooooo much better although you need the benefit of an HD TV for the ultimate experience.
Image ImageImage
Fordie

Dark Reaper

Post by Dark Reaper » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:11 am

The Xbox was my favourite of it's generation and I think that it was killed off before it needed to be. Although I got my PS2 first, the Xbox has probably had more time spent on it than the PS2 and the GC combined. My picks for the best games exclusive games are Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (which was criminally overlooked by most people), KOTOR 1 & 2 (although the end of 2 is a bit of a let down), Fable (if you haven't got it already, The Lost Chapters is the better version) and, of course, Halo 1 & 2 (the only FPS games that I've really liked since GoldenEye).

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:08 am

fordie020376 wrote:
SirClive wrote:
Def have to disagree....

The 360 is sooooooooo much better although you need the benefit of an HD TV for the ultimate experience.
I too have to disagree. My 360 is overplayed at the moment. Gears of War, Rainbow 6, Oblivion Test Drive to name a few are outstanding games. It's a huge step up from the original Xbox not just in terms of games but in functionality(streaming WMV from the PC means all the latest US TV shows can now be watched on my new HDTV!)

On top of all this Live Arcade with all the Retro games for download(I know you're all going to argue that I could get them on Mame or other emulation, which in most cases I already do) but it's the convenience, the HD, and the online play. I downloaded Turtles arcade this week, 4 player online without the hassle of Kalleira for approx £3.25 bargain. Last week was Worms, and next week Symphony of the night for about £7 in HD!!! How much would you pay for the PS1 version? Coming soon to Live arcade a new version of Jetpac!!!!!

I could go on about free downloadable demos, Free extra content for games but I won't. I will say until I got my HDTV I didn't believe it would make too much of a difference, how wrong was I!! Next up Surround sound system with an optical in for 5.1.

Also staying on topic, the Xbox is DEAD!! but it's not Retro IMO.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:28 am

I think you may be misunderstanding me. I meant that the PS1 to PS2 was a massive step forward. I wasn't devaluing the leap between xbox and 360.

Nightbreed

Post by Nightbreed » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:46 am

Halo 1 & 2 (the only FPS games that I've really liked since GoldenEye).
If you like goldenEye then you MUST get Timesplitters 2. It's coded by some of the Goldeneye team but with more challenges and Fantastic multiplayer and map making modes. :D
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:53 am

Nightbreed wrote:
Halo 1 & 2 (the only FPS games that I've really liked since GoldenEye).
If you like goldenEye then you MUST get Timesplitters 2. It's coded by some of the Goldeneye team but with more challenges and Fantastic multiplayer and map making modes. :D
and it's also one of those rare things - a FPS which is playable with a pad - just like Goldeneye
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:14 am

Otogi 1 and 2 are stunning, and Panzer Dragoon Orta is brilliant too. I just wish they were backwards compatible as I sold my old Xbox, and MS is slowing down work on the back compatible list.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:28 am

Dark Reaper wrote: Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (which was criminally overlooked by most people)
I forgot about that. It's a fantastic game, and one of the best Oddworld games IMO. Munch's Oddysee is also really worth a try.