How long before the X-Box is officially dead.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Nightbreed

How long before the X-Box is officially dead.

Post by Nightbreed » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:52 pm

Have you seen the feeble amount of space dedicated to the standard X-Box in GAME recently? They have next to nothing in and have all but stopped selling new consoles. Even the second hand ones can be picked up for £40 with a game and a years warranty. Mind u, I got some great bargains in the 3 for 2 preowned range. FIFA 06, Brothers in arms: Road to hill 30 and Rainbow six 3, all for £20. :o

Yes. It looks like the Xbox is all but dead. :( Anyone else agree that it will be soon heading to the folder filed ''Retro'' at the end of this year?
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:17 pm

Only just got one and its very dead. MS are actively discouraging development, there's nowt scheduled for release, its all gone to 360. Its even deader than GC.

PS2 still has plenty life left in it.

So, given we're agreed X-Box is dead, what are the highlights beyond Halo and Project Gotham?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Nightbreed

Post by Nightbreed » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:35 pm

There are a fair few classics if you can hunt around. The original Buffy game is good fun. Far Cry Instincts, Top Spin, Doom 3/Ressurection of Evil, OutRun 2/2006 and Pro Evo 5 are all games I would consider worth owning too. :)

Oh, and Rocky is a good little movie tie in too. :wink:

will2097

Post by will2097 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:08 pm

The real question is surely: did the xbox ever live? Splinter Cell and Outrun 2, even after it was ported...

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:20 pm

I used to buy most multiformat games on Xbox, as I preferred the control pad. Driving games on the PS2 pad were censored with the lack of decent analogue triggers.

The Splinter Cell games were better on Xbox (the only 'stealth' game I actually like), there were some great console FPS'es released and as mentioned, driving games were superior on xbox.

Outrun 2 on the Xbox is gorgeous and runs like a dream - it's so fast and smooth. And IMO it's better than the multiformat 2006 version.

I wasn't happy that Microsoft pulled the plug so soon and so completely.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:09 am

Pissed me off that they removed the standard xbox section of their website and aggresively peddled the 360 at us almost immediately.
I know Sony are money grabbers, but the release of PSOne was great because it kept the older version alive even after the PS2 had come out.

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:31 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:So, given we're agreed X-Box is dead, what are the highlights beyond Halo and Project Gotham?
Jet Set Radio Future. To my mind one of the best games on the big black box. I loved the Dreamcast original and the Xbox version improved on it in so many ways.

If you see it, snap it up. You probably won't have to pay much for it either.

On a side note, I went into HMV yesterday and they're selling xbox games at pretty low prices.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:38 am

I don't think there has ever been a games machine released without some decent games - even Jaguar had Tempest and A vs P

XBox was a decent enough first machine for Microsoft , but they've improved expotentially with the 360 . Just compare PS1 to PS2 , the improvement between the XBOX and 360 is far greater . It will be interesting to see whether a similar leap in quality can be performed when they release their 3rd generation machine
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:54 am

What few RPGs there are are quite good - KOTOR 1/2 are both brilliant and Jade Empire and Fable are pretty good.

Don't know why some people think Halo is bad, I love the game. The GTA games came to it eventually, and I prefer the Xbox controls to PS2 ones.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:57 am

Check out the Midway, Taito and capcom collections, the Metal Slug games, the Street Fighter Anniversarl Collection and I always thought Serious Sam was quite good, I realise they aren't exactly exclusives but could be picked up quite cheaply.
Splink!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:06 am

I played Jet Set Radio a lot on my DC, its one of the games I bought the system for. Is there really much more to the X-Box version?

I have KOTOR on PC, I found it very hard going and gave up eventually as I just wasn't enjoying it despite being a big Star Wars fan. RPGs realy aren't my thing though. Then again, I'm quite enjoying Dungeon Siege on PSP this week.

I picked up the GTA III/VC/SA triple pack for £20 from HMV this week, still winding down those Christmas vouchers. I have them on PC, but I wanted the convenience of a console version and figured the X-Box would be the better of the two. I've never given SA the time it deserves. There's really not much left in my HMV, they've pretty much dropped all their X-Box games with just a few stragglers alone on a shelf and no sign of Cube stuff for ages :(

I have all the GC Splinter Cells and acquired Double Agent with my PS2 - that's an exceptionally good game.

I've mostly played Halo on my X-Box so far. It's alright, but I wouldn't rave about it. I'm getting bored with it after just a few hours, so I'm hoping it throws something new at me soon.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:08 am

oli_lar wrote:What few RPGs there are are quite good - KOTOR 1/2 are both brilliant and Jade Empire and Fable are pretty good.

Don't know why some people think Halo is bad, I love the game. The GTA games came to it eventually, and I prefer the Xbox controls to PS2 ones.
Have to agree with your list of RPGs, fantastic games.
GTA on the XBOX sucked, and I like the PS2 pad much more than the XBOX pad but not a great deal, I just think the PS2 pad sits a little easier in the hands.. Halo is not bad, but its nothing special at all, just another "man with a gun" game whens all is said and done...

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:12 am

I've got a DC , GC , SNES - with a mix of RPG,racing,shooting, games I don't think I really need another console , no matter how flashy the graphics might be
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:56 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I played Jet Set Radio a lot on my DC, its one of the games I bought the system for. Is there really much more to the X-Box version?
It's what made me get an Xbox.

It's the same but different. The Dreamcast one was really pressurised and you had to know the routes by heart to finish before the time limit. JSRF does away with the time limits and and makes the grafifiti easier to do, so now you can do it on the move, in the middle of tricks.

The game now has more exploration, doing tricks, and finding the hidden grafiti souls. The levels are huge and have so many secrets and routes to try. It's fun and you feel more free to go where you want enjoy the game.
Each level also has a number of additional objectives to try for that are fun and challenging.

It's cheap as hell now too. The JSRF/Sega GT disc that came bundled with my xbox goes for about £1 on ebay, the boxed version goes for about £5-£8

review: http://uk.xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/jet-set ... 485p1.html

Nightbreed

Post by Nightbreed » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:57 am

I personally think Pro Evo games work better on the XBox. Controls are so much easier and the audio and graphics are a VAST improvement over the PS2 version.