Castlevania - Symphony of the Night

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

HalcyonDaze00

Castlevania - Symphony of the Night

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:05 pm

After many years of trying to play this game and thinking "what is all the fuss about" I have been playing it again the last few nights and it finally seems to have clicked.

Really enjoying it and now figuring out how to keep levelling up and finding the save points so I can make some kind of progress.

A couple of questions for those of you that have played it all the way through or at least a good % of it:

Is it possible for me to get stuck somewhere due to not having collected a certain item or weapon etc?

Am I supposed to be following a path through the castle, at the moment I seem to be moving about at random and not sure if I am going into areas that may result in me getting stuck (see above point).

Cheers

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Castlevania - Symphony of the Night

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:25 pm

I'm listening to the soundtrack right now!

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:57 pm

Some of the doors can only be opened after you have collected certain key items. Some of them come in the form of accessories if i remember. Everything else is just down to the abilities you collect throughout the castle.

There is a set path you need to take through the castle to progress through the game but it isn't very obvious. You might as well explore everything on the way for the sake of all the lovely LOOT.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:59 am

I got into this game so much then got stuck too :( I just got the wolf transformation, then at the top left of the clock tower there is a jump I can't make... I'm now stuck and can't move on. I've back tracked all the way to the start but I'm just so confused where to go now...

Such a beautiful game though, the above is probably my ineptitude rather than game design.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:38 am

I've completed it 7 or 8 times across PS1, Saturn, xbox360 and VITA. Best platform game ever with a soundtrack to die for.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

ulala

Post by ulala » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:48 am

i found it a much better game with a walkthrough helping me out.

helped me enjoy the experience without getting lost or frustrated.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:03 am

ulala wrote:i found it a much better game with a walkthrough helping me out.

helped me enjoy the experience without getting lost or frustrated.
yes, this is my concern.

Really enjoying the game at the moment but I can see that I may get frustrated at some point. Just had a look online and there are loads of guides so I will use one of them if I start to get completely lost.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:14 am

I loved this game.

I seem to remember you have to buy a certain item from the guy in the library to get through one door? because I played the Japanese version this wasn't really apparent to me at the time....but worked it out eventually. that's the only bit where I got stuck, the rest is fine.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:23 am

I might be stating the obvious slightly but as soon as you get to the guy in the library be sure to buy a map.

The map is far from complete but it does give you a lot of ideas of places to explore when you are stuck.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:47 am

'Castlevania Symphony of the Night' has always been too expensive for my tastes, but I got the PS1 version on the Playstation Network last week for a measley £3.69! I'd have preferred a physical copy but I'm enjoying it a lot - just can't decide whether to play it properly on the PS3 or Vita!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:31 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I'm listening to the soundtrack right now!
I am miles too good to you.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:50 am

I have to say I've never got stuck or used a walkthrough other than to get to the otherwise impossible to discover secret areas in a few locations and don't forget if you destroy the ball and not Shaft in the final boss battle you get the reverse castle with the FMV not included in the XBLA version.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:10 pm

HEAVYface wrote:I loved this game.

I seem to remember you have to buy a certain item from the guy in the library to get through one door? because I played the Japanese version this wasn't really apparent to me at the time....but worked it out eventually. that's the only bit where I got stuck, the rest is fine.
The Librarian sells you a Ring that opens the two glowing Doors got stuck on that bit myself.. It's after you get the Wolf transformation and there didn't appear anywhere to go! buy the Ring and the Bat Transformation ability is behind the door..

One from I noticed on the Jap version the Cross special attack had Jesus on it and some of the Zombie had what looked like Nazi gear
Last edited by Shinobi on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:35 pm

on a normal play through how many hours does it take to complete?

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:41 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:on a normal play through how many hours does it take to complete?

Depends totally on how much you choose to explore, but I'd say easily over 10 hours for both castles