The original Super Mario Bros for the NES

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

skooldaze_eric

Re: The original Super Mario Bros for the NES

Post by skooldaze_eric » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:20 am

The Laird wrote:Yeah it was the opposite here, we were all too busy playing on the Spectrum and C64 to take any notice of an ugly grey box gathering dust in Boots with its overpriced games :mrgreen:
I was just talking about that last week, I was pretty sure the NES was exclusive to Boots at some point in the late 80s which covered Christmas as well (I think around 1988 when I got my Spectrum) but couldn't find anything online to back this up.

Anyone know any details about this?

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:32 am

It's amazing how a thread intended to discuss a game is immediately turned into a discussion about unrelated consoles/computers.

You guys :lol:
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:22 am

The original SMB? I think I first played it on the Speccy

davyK

Post by davyK » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:31 pm

I first played SMB on a PLaychoice10 cab in a pub. At that time I was pretty fed up with gaming. Unfortunately I found the whole 8bit micro era a bit of a hiatus in gaming as much the stuff was either too ambitious for the host platform or just a bit crap. Too many good ideas were let down by iffy game design - vertical difficulty curves, lack of status saves and tape loading just turned me off the whole thing.

I owned an Oric and CPC464, played a fair old bit on friends' Spectrums and C64, and also had plenty of access to an Apple IIe and BBC B in school - and while there was the odd gem like Boulderdash , Chuckie Egg , Thrust and JSW, overall it was a pretty dodgy time where brilliant creativity was let down by the fact that the devs were talented apprentices when it came to complete game design compared to those in Atari, Taito and Namco. The best of the old 2600 games were better designed. Much of the 8bit micro stuff is now exposed by emulation as pretty shoddy.

The Master System and NES brought me back to gaming,,,,after a great SMS session with friends one afternoon I looked around and after playing SMB on the PLaychoice 10 plumped for the NES. SMB is the template upon which 2D scrolling platformers are built. The sense of weight and inertia is still quite superb. The duality of the level design for the super-ised and normal Marios is very, very clever - so well done Nintendo made it look easy. The little subtasks like coin collecting, enemy combo-ing, and flag grabbing were pretty original at the time too.

SMB3 and SMW took it to the next level but I'm still a fan. The NES version is fine but I now prefer the All Stars version which has a workable 2 player mode (turns alternate after life loss or level completion) and looks splendid.

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:08 pm

davyK wrote:SMB is the template upon which 2D scrolling platformers are built. The sense of weight and inertia is still quite superb. The duality of the level design for the super-ised and normal Marios is very, very clever - so well done Nintendo made it look easy. The little subtasks like coin collecting, enemy combo-ing, and flag grabbing were pretty original at the time too.
Some great points made right there, and its one of the few games that my non-gamer girlfriend will play. The games pretty much perfect in every way and if you don't like it you've got no soul.
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:31 pm

OK, the OP asked for memories on Super Mario Bros, so here is mine, the first SMB game I played was Super Mario Land on the GB, I was far too busy with games still on the Spectrum at the time, and shortly the Atari ST to bother with what looked like a rather primitive looking game costing at least ten decent Spectrum games.

The first TV console game I played with Mario's name on it was Super Mario World, which I immediately loved and then wanted to play the others, so it was nearly a decade after it's release, I finally bought a NES with an unboxed SMB, but seriously by then it did not grab me at all, or so I thought until I realised I had been playing it for over two hours!

So a good game, but playing it for the first time in the era of the Saturn and Playstation was not really the way to go.

As for the Boots question, I do not know if they had an exclusive deal or not, but I only ever saw the NES in those stores, and to be honest the one in Cambridge at least never seemed to have any interest taken in it, I think Woolworths, as huge as they were at the time, only stocked it when Nintendo took over distribution itself in Europe, a situation that did not improve for them even when the SNES arrived on our shores, when Dixons, one of the largest electrical retailers of the day refused to stock it, only taking that machine on once the Streetfighter pack arrived way after launch.

The Snes and Nes did take up a lot of my time in the nineties, the games appealed to me more than Sega's offerings, but it was the games from the likes of Rare and Konami, rather than Mario that appealed, apart from a certain karting title, they are fun games, but playing the first three out of their time did take the edge off them for me, especially as I played All Stars before the originals.
Last edited by adippm82 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:31 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
stvd wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:
Speak only for yourself please, while everyone I knew had Amstrads, speccys, and C64's for a while, The moment NES and MS came out it was goodbye to 8bit computers and hello consoles

For me around around 1990 everyone owned MS or a NES
Everybody's experience is different. I was still using my Spectrum when I bought my Megadrive. Missed the whole NES/SMS era as did everyone I knew. Nobody I knew owned either machine. I did buy a SMS eventually but although I've owned and collected for many consoles (most of which I'd never owned at the time ) the one console I've never even considered buying, is the NES.
Yes I know, thats why I said he was only speaking for himself and not for everyone, and Why i sprecifically said everyone I knew.
No, you told him to speak only for himself. A subtle difference maybe, but an important one that changes the tone of your entire post.
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:32 pm

As a Yank myself, I had my fair share of NES action.

Apart from the Mario games, I really wasn't all that into it. When I finally got hold of the MasterSystem, I was very content.

Misery

Post by Misery » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:05 pm

So..... I'm guessing the thing didnt have as much impact over in the UK, then?

I'm in the States, and over here..... yeah, the "crash" happened, and the NES was EVERYTHING after that, to many gamers here. No Amstrads, Spectrums, any of that stuff. Hell, I dont even know if those really appeared much in this country at all.... I've yet to meet anyone here that actually knows what I'm talking about if I mention one of those. Even Sega didnt have much presence until the Genesis (Mega Drive to most of you). The Master System barely existed here.

There were still some good PC types though.... like the Tandy machines that were very popular for awhile.... but yeah, the NES was like, *the* thing for quite awhile. Same with the SNES to a degree. If you played too many games on the PCs you were a total nerd... or at least that's how it was in my exact area, which is sort of a jock town (sigh).

On the note of SMB though, I've always loved it. It remains my favorite of the Mario series. Other games may have had more advancements and better graphics, but... I dunno. Something always brings me back to the very first game. The simple forward-moving levels, the bright, stark graphics (something I like about alot of early NES games), and such... very good game.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:49 am

^ The only 8-bit console to sell in numbers here was the Master System.
I think it took the Turtles and WWF bundles in the early 90s for the NES to gain any real popularity in the UK, although it did fare better in mainland Europe (most likely due to less lunk-headed distribution methods).

Strangely though, from personal experience I had more friends with SMSs/NESs than Speccys etc. Maybe an age thing - I only really got into gaming in the early 90s.

martyg

Post by martyg » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:51 pm

Misery wrote: I'm in the States, and over here..... yeah, the "crash" happened,
Already covered in issue 100 of Retro Gamer.
and the NES was EVERYTHING after that, to many gamers here.
Not until after '86. During '86, the NES, 7800, and soon to be released SMS were considered on equal ground and all three taken as a sign that there was a revival coming. It wasn't until after the national launch/Christmas '86 season (i.e. in '87) that the NES and Nintendo pulled far ahead.

To address some of the other comments here, there also seems to be this myth perpetuated by people not familiar with the particulars that it was an immediate revival in '85. The NES was only in a limited test market in New York in '85 and it didn't do that well. Likewise, SMB was only available at the end of the test marketing there, it was not a launch title. The NES fared a bit better at the LA test marketing in February '86, and slowly started expanding to more individual towns through that Spring. But it wasn't
No Amstrads, Spectrums, any of that stuff.
There was a full computer market at the time during the crash. The crash was specifically a consumer console industry crash, the computer industry is a completely separate industry and continued to survive. Most of what was the third party console industry jumped to doing computer industry titles during the '82-'84 crash (and the rest just went out of business). And yes, we had Spectrum over here as Timex/Sinclair.
Even Sega didnt have much presence until the Genesis (Mega Drive to most of you). The Master System barely existed here.
The Master System wound up coming up third in sales out of the three main consoles. A major part of the problem was because SEGA used toy company Tonka for it's marketing and distribution in the US, which is why when it came time to do the Megadrive/Genesis they approached Atari Corp. for the US release.
Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/

Misery

Post by Misery » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:14 am

Hmm? They actually had the Spectrums and such over here? Interesting. Though, at around the time the NES became bloody huge (which is when I got one) I was like, what, 7 years old.... might be why I wouldnt have heard of such a thing :p Though, mostly, I dont recall EVER seeing a Spectrum/whatever in stores, or.... anywhere else ever, for that matter. I'd love to run across those at some point. Everyone I knew back in those days and for a number of years onward though seemed to all have some sort of basic PC of varying types (like the Tandys or whatever) or a Mac.

And yeah, I know the crash didnt hit the computer stuffs. Though of course I didnt learn about the crash until years later.

Still, I'm surprised about the Spectrums and whatnot. I'd love to get my hands on those, really...

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:21 am

And yet Nintendo still did a great deal to get consoles back into the mainstream. Love em or hate them, only an idiot would write them off as not being important to the games industry. It was obviously a lot different in the UK, but that doesn't make Nintendo's contribution's any less important, it just means we weren't as privy to it as other countries were. If the original poster felt that Super Mario Bros was massively important than that's his choice, and in many ways you could argue that it was. After all, how many Americans know what Miner Willy is? Not as many as Europeans know who Mario is I'd wager.

My interest in 8-bit home computers died off as soon as I was introduced to the Master System. I picked up a Spectrum 128K about a year after I had my Master System and traded it back to my friend because it was laughable how bad the games were compared to what I was by then used to. A lot of gaming is utterly relevant to what you experienced as a kid. I didn't know anyone with a Jaguar for example, but The Laird knew loads, so it skews your perception to how popular something was or wasn't. That doesn't make either person right (unless cold hard facts paint a more clearer picture) it just is what it is. I knew one other person with an Atari Lynx, but knew loads of people with a Game Boy. It's interesting how different parts of the country supported different consoles and computers. Maybe it's a wealth thing as well. Who knows. My first experience of Mario was playing it in Boots. That's as far as it went though as it was stupidly priced compared to the budget games I was buying. Only rich people could afford a NES and I wasn't one of them.

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:36 am

Isn't the "arcade" Super Mario Bros. just the NES game?

I wasn't sure if the OP was talking about SMB or the original Mario Bros. game.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:13 pm

stvd wrote:Isn't the "arcade" Super Mario Bros. just the NES game?

I wasn't sure if the OP was talking about SMB or the original Mario Bros. game.
It's a tricky one mate. Mario Bros was converted from arcade to NES, but Super Mario Bros was available on arcade via the time playchoice thing. I think he's referring to Super Mario Bros.