The original Super Mario Bros for the NES

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroVideoGameAddict

The original Super Mario Bros for the NES

Post by RetroVideoGameAddict » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:29 am

I figured I'd get some discussion of SMB for the NES going since it's been a while since I've seen a mention of the game anywhere on here. Personally, it's my least favorite of the 3 NES core Mario titles but yet I love the game to death and have recently played through it for fun. I remember playing this game in the arcade as a kid a few times, which is funny because at the time I didn't know that Super Mario Bros was released as an arcade game, but I had fun with it both there and especially on my NES. So many easter eggs, so many secrets. Recently I wrote a blog review of it at http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogs...eviews_10.html, so check that out if you wish to.

Anyone want to share some memories of this game or maybe some information about it that we don't already know? Let's get some discussion going for the game that took a dying industry upon it's shoulders and carried it to prosperity!
On Twitter @OfficialRVGA
My YouTube Channelhttp://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <--- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
*UPDATED* on 6/13/13/ REVIEW: The Legend of Zelda for the NES!

Dreamer

Re: The original Super Mario Bros for the NES

Post by Dreamer » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:09 pm

RetroVideoGameAddict wrote:the game that took a dying industry upon it's shoulders and carried it to prosperity!

American?

van

Post by van » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:13 pm

Dreamer wrote:
RetroVideoGameAddict wrote:the game that took a dying industry upon it's shoulders and carried it to prosperity!

American?

HAHAHA! This place sniffs us out like dogs. Too funny.
I love the fact that after his comment, all you ask is "American?".

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:45 am

Yeah it was the opposite here, we were all too busy playing on the Spectrum and C64 to take any notice of an ugly grey box gathering dust in Boots with its overpriced games :mrgreen:

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:16 am

The Laird wrote:Yeah it was the opposite here, we were all too busy playing on the Spectrum and C64 to take any notice of an ugly grey box gathering dust in Boots with its overpriced games :mrgreen:

Speak only for yourself please, while everyone I knew had Amstrads, speccys, and C64's for a while, The moment NES and MS came out it was goodbye to 8bit computers and hello consoles

For me around around 1990 everyone owned MS or a NES.

The school I went to it was the NES that was in the majority TBH. I know the popularity of the NES was not massively high in the the UK but it did sell enough that it was common place to have friends that owned one.

Your constant remarks on any Nintendo thread acting like not a single person in the UK had ever owned one or heard of one is getting quite pathetic TBH.

Especially as you tend to get all defensive about people talking about the jag in a similar way which was far more of a failure. A bit of Hypocrisy TBH.

The NES has a huge collectors market in the UK and is now insanely popular. Enough people on here talk about playing the NES as kids to make anyone with a bit of common sense to realise that it did in fact have some popularity.

I actually had no idea the MS sold better in the UK till many many years later as The NES was easily the machine of choice amongst everyone I knew.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:41 am

And this is why we can't have NES threads here. :roll:

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:45 am

The NES was a bit rubbish! Ok OK that's harsh, let me put it another way ...... I missed the whole NES thing and when I did get around to playing one? It just didn't do it for me at all, the SMS smashed it for me. The first game I played on the NES was a Turtles title with a sort of top down driving section with the van? .... it was a bit gash. Hd I owned a NES proper? I probably wouldn't gotten on board with the likes of Mario 3 and stuff ...... maybe.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:50 am

Personally I am not really a fan of Marios first game, aint trolling on this, I genuinely get fed up of it while playing.

The NES itself is a horrible looking thing that has gained "Nerd cred", but as least it aint as bad as the US SNES, its filled with loads of rubbish games, then theres gems (Like Yume Penguin Monogatari, a English translated ROM hack of it runs perfectly on my Everdrive N8)
(Also OP seems to plug his blog a awful lot)

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:57 am

koopa42 wrote:The NES was a bit rubbish! Ok OK that's harsh, let me put it another way ...... I missed the whole NES thing and when I did get around to playing one? It just didn't do it for me at all, the SMS smashed it for me. The first game I played on the NES was a Turtles title with a sort of top down driving section with the van? .... it was a bit gash. Hd I owned a NES proper? I probably wouldn't gotten on board with the likes of Mario 3 and stuff ...... maybe.

I can understand that, If you miss out on something its hard to go back and understand what all the fuss was about. You can never recapture the period it happened.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:06 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
koopa42 wrote:The NES was a bit rubbish! Ok OK that's harsh, let me put it another way ...... I missed the whole NES thing and when I did get around to playing one? It just didn't do it for me at all, the SMS smashed it for me. The first game I played on the NES was a Turtles title with a sort of top down driving section with the van? .... it was a bit gash. Hd I owned a NES proper? I probably wouldn't gotten on board with the likes of Mario 3 and stuff ...... maybe.

I can understand that, If you miss out on something its hard to go back and understand what all the fuss was about. You can never recapture the period it happened.
Good man, I expected a backlash of doom but facts are facts, it's the same reason I just couldn't forgive Morrowind's flaws after playing Oblivion first :(

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:14 am

koopa42 wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:

Good man, I expected a backlash of doom but facts are facts, it's the same reason I just couldn't forgive Morrowind's flaws after playing Oblivion first :(

I mean I really really love the NES, but I grew up on it, read the magazines, opened the games on Christmas and its a big part of my childhood. That is a big factor.

People who don't have that will never have the same connection, People who love the machine need to understand that.

I just wish it worked the other way as well, some people love certain old consoles and want to express that and talk about it, it just seems a shame they are unable to as some people seem to have " Spider-sense " an can detect a NES thread a mile of and practically cream themselves to be the first to post negative comments and be proud of themselves.

Critical comments are fine as part of the discussion, but some seem to post just for the fun of derailing a thread and spoiling the fun of others.

stvd

Post by stvd » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:03 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
Speak only for yourself please, while everyone I knew had Amstrads, speccys, and C64's for a while, The moment NES and MS came out it was goodbye to 8bit computers and hello consoles

For me around around 1990 everyone owned MS or a NES
Everybody's experience is different. I was still using my Spectrum when I bought my Megadrive. Missed the whole NES/SMS era as did everyone I knew. Nobody I knew owned either machine. I did buy a SMS eventually but although I've owned and collected for many consoles (most of which I'd never owned at the time ) the one console I've never even considered buying, is the NES.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:07 am

stvd wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:

For me around around 1990 everyone owned MS or a NES
Everybody's experience is different. I was still using my Spectrum when I bought my Megadrive. Missed the whole NES/SMS era as did everyone I knew. Nobody I knew owned either machine. I did buy a SMS eventually but although I've owned and collected for many consoles (most of which I'd never owned at the time ) the one console I've never even considered buying, is the NES.
Yes I know, thats why I said he was only speaking for himself and not for everyone, and Why i sprecifically said everyone I knew.

merman

Post by merman » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:41 am

The link in the first post is truncated, so won't work properly...

Anyway, the original SMB is a classic and a very good example of both Nintendo's attention to detail and how to vary game mechanics.

As for the NES and its impact. Yes, it did help revive interest in video games in the US. But there were more COMPUTER games launched than console games, so that's where the real financial base of the industry grew.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube