IP's that never got the game they deserved

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RodimusPrime

IP's that never got the game they deserved

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:06 am

What Do you love ( books, comic, cartton, films etc ) that have been unlucky in terms of videogame adaptations.

For me its G1 transformers. I am still waiting for a truly great game based on th original G1 comics and cartoons.

War / Fall of Cybertron were decent but I dont really class it as true G1 considering the complete change of art style. Still hoping one day for the ultimate G1 transformers game.

Maybe its something thta has never received a Videogame, I would have loved a Jayce and the Wheeled warriors game for example.

Anyone else.

koopa42

Re: IP's that never got the game they deserved

Post by koopa42 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:17 am

WARHAMMER 40K!!! all day long. Yes there have been games, yes one of them was good but with the tech today? You really could have a massively massively massively massively massively massively massive online game of it. Done correctly it could tople the likes of TES and Fallout from my fave games. A constantly running online Warhammer 40k universe, all the races, planets could be taken and retaken and lost etc! Epic stuff ...... oh and NOT an RPG and censored shooter.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:01 am

A Visionaries games goes without saying. With an online like the Transformers Cybertron games, where the knights turn into their respective animals would have been amazing

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:13 am

Off topic for a second, I wish they'd put the Dinobots in the movies :( They are my fave, and Grimlock is my fave Transformer full stop. I know I know, they can't really have giant robot dinosaurs ...... but I'd pay to see it if no one else would. Grimlock could end everyone, he's just a bit thick is all

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:16 am

Mighty Max, definitely. Such a massive cast of monstrosities populate those toys, and what did we get? A four-level platformer with two enemy types and a tennis ball gun.

Could've/should've been a frantic run-and-gun/scrolling beat-em-up, like the Turtles arcade games or Gunstar Heroes but with even MORE variety. Or even a Metroidvania-style game, with Max going through portals to the different Doom Zones and so on.

Dragons, mummies, giant snakes, Frankenstein's monster, hundred-foot-tall arachnids, aliens, ice monsters, zombies, a human fly, giant rats, cyborg skeletons, the insides of a lizard, Captain Nemo's bloated corpse, hyper-intelligent gorillas, robot scorpions, sabre-tooth tigers, cavemen, enormous mechanical sharks, Cyclops, dinosaurs, vampires, werewolves, killer clowns, vikings... How could they have got it so wrong??
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:10 am

Love the replies so far, especially as I am a huge fan of visionairies, and also love the Dinobots.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:16 am

Babylon 5

Nearly endless Star trek and Star wars ones
What does Babylon 5 get?

NOTHING!!

If I knew how to ROM hack id messabout with StarFlight and turn it into a B5 one

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:04 pm

Robotech. I think Macross got a few games in Japan, but all we got was a fairly average GameCube game years later.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:10 pm

Stargate SG-1

Enough said.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:14 pm

The Laird wrote:Stargate SG-1

Enough said.
This!

The movie got a game on the Megadrive, but it was dire.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:35 pm

DPrinny wrote:Babylon 5

Nearly endless Star trek and Star wars ones
What does Babylon 5 get?

NOTHING!!

If I knew how to ROM hack id messabout with StarFlight and turn it into a B5 one
Mass Effect always reminded me of Babylon 5

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:01 pm

I still think Telltale games should make a game based on My Name Is Earl. In the style of their Sam and Max series. Due to the format of the show it would write itself. Get the cast together to do the voices and you have an authentic experience!

Also dexter would make a great game. Thinking Fahrenheit style here. Covering up your own murders and investigating others. Could be brilliant.
Last edited by Grizzly on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:01 pm

theantmeister wrote:Robotech. I think Macross got a few games in Japan, but all we got was a fairly average GameCube game years later.
PS2 got a nice game, though nothing amazing.

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:04 pm

Doctor Who is the obvious one. There have been, if I count correctly, eleven or twelve officially licenced games based on that franchise and only one is even mildly good (The Adventure Games). The others are all vary between pretty bad (The Mines of Terror, Dalek Attack) and painfully awful (The Eternity Clock, Return to Earth).

A shame because it's a fantastic franchise with a rich history and loads of great characters and monsters. There's real potential there for a great RPG or adventure game.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

dste

Post by dste » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:34 pm

Twin Peaks, that would be one very messed up game. :lol:
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!