Best 2 player games on the SNES?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Liamh1982

Re: Best 2 player games on the SNES?

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:48 am

I would say Tetris Attack and Bust-A-Move / Puzzle Bobble are the best bets if you're looking for puzzlers.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:50 am

dr mario
street fighter 2 turbo
street fighter alpha 2
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

chewy

Post by chewy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:03 am

I remember playing Jurassic Park II two player with my SNES owning friend a lot. Bloody hard though. Also, nods to Bomberman, get a four-way adapter and it's a riot. Bomberman drinking games ahoy!

siamesegiant

Post by siamesegiant » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:41 am

International Superstar Soccer Deluxe is awesome, far superior to the regular ISS. Yeah it turned into Pro Evo. Also, second votes for Sunset Riders and Secret of Mana!

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:01 pm

Already mentioned but the majority of my school nights were spent playing Mario kart, Bomberman 2, FIFA and SFII. Mario Kart in particular tested many friendships :lol:

giss

Post by giss » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:06 pm

the only game I can think of that hasn't been mentioned yet is Goof Troop which has a great co-op mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_CiVzPmYZs

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:10 pm

siamesegiant wrote:International Superstar Soccer Deluxe is awesome, far superior to the regular ISS.
Personally I much prefer the original International Superstar Soccer to Deluxe. The original, while offering less options had a more solid feel to play. In Deluxe I felt the players, and more importantly, the ball were too floaty and light. Like a Milky Way, compared to its Mars Bar esque predecessor if you will.

Although the 7 a side on Deluxe was great in 2 player mode. Especially with offsides turned off and keepers set to 1 so they let in goals even Robert Green could stop. It was a goalhangers wet dream!
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

Uaithne

Post by Uaithne » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:23 pm

I know they've already been mentioned, but Mortal Kombat II, Street Fighter II (and any of its variations) and Super Mario Kart are those which I have been playing with others regularly on the SNES ... even recently.

Additionally Super International Cricket is always a good bash, especially seeing we're coming up to the Ashes :wink:
"Not to know what happened before you were born is to be a child forever" -Marcus Tullius Cicero, 46BC

Wants List | Items for Sale

thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:52 pm

I agree with Secret of Mana, Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Uniracers. I always liked Battletoads Battlemaniacs for Co-Op.

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:58 pm

The obvious ones have all been mentioned (Street Fighter in any form is my top pick) so I'd like to suggest Run Saber which is basically a co-op version of Strider. As a rip-off, it is not even remotely subtle, but the co-op is pretty fun!
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:13 pm

davyK

Post by davyK » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:14 pm

a few more I don't think have been mentioned yet...

Arkanoid : Doh it again - has a split screen battle mode and also a 2 player simultaneous mode in the main game. (Supports the mouse but you can use the controllers)
Heberke's Popoitto & Hebereke's Popoon : quirky alternatives to Dr Mario and Puyo Puyo
Pop n Twinbee : brilliant 2 player shmup (simultaneous)
Pop n Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventures : brilliant platformer with 2 player battle mode and 2 player coop mode
Smash Tennis : cuter than Super with slightly simpler controls (supports multi-tap for 4 player which Super doesn't)
Mario All Stars : Mario 3 has a battle version of the original Mario Bros as an extra. SMB1 has been tweaked so that turns alternate with life loss OR level finish - makes a big difference.
Super SWIV :workmanlike shmup with nice graphics - 2 player simultaneous mode - 1 player in the heli , 1 in the jeep - loads of fun
Tetris & Dr Mario - nice compilation cart with battle modes. Also has a unique "mixed mode" with players tackling time based challenges on both games running in split screen.
Chaos Engine : good port of the Amiga game. Brilliant top down shooter with coop mode.

TheSpeedOfSex

Post by TheSpeedOfSex » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:45 pm

davyK wrote:a few more I don't think have been mentioned yet...

Arkanoid : Doh it again - has a split screen battle mode and also a 2 player simultaneous mode in the main game. (Supports the mouse but you can use the controllers)
Heberke's Popoitto & Hebereke's Popoon : quirky alternatives to Dr Mario and Puyo Puyo
Pop n Twinbee : brilliant 2 player shmup (simultaneous)
Pop n Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventures : brilliant platformer with 2 player battle mode and 2 player coop mode
Smash Tennis : cuter than Super with slightly simpler controls (supports multi-tap for 4 player which Super doesn't)
Mario All Stars : Mario 3 has a battle version of the original Mario Bros as an extra. SMB1 has been tweaked so that turns alternate with life loss OR level finish - makes a big difference.
Super SWIV :workmanlike shmup with nice graphics - 2 player simultaneous mode - 1 player in the heli , 1 in the jeep - loads of fun
Tetris & Dr Mario - nice compilation cart with battle modes. Also has a unique "mixed mode" with players tackling time based challenges on both games running in split screen.
Chaos Engine : good port of the Amiga game. Brilliant top down shooter with coop mode.
Gosh, how did I fail to pick up on that??!!!
Of course Chaos Engine! Brilliant 2P game.

SamiCetinSMK

Post by SamiCetinSMK » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:05 am

In this order:

1. Super Mario Kart (Because of all these adventures...)

2. Super Street Fighter II

3. Sensible Soccer

4. Donkey Kong Country

5. Super Mario World

Loads more, they are all so great... my favourite console :)
Super Mario Kart PAL Version Time Trial World Champion

Super Mario Kart Time Trial World Rankings: http://www.mariokartplayers.com/smk/

Cornervizion

Post by Cornervizion » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:51 am

Just scrolling through and suprisingly there's no mention of Super Rampart, If I remeber correctly, Super Play magazine said that the 2 player modes rival Mario Kart's