Best puzzle games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

joefish

Re: Best puzzle games

Post by joefish » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:54 am

I played a lot of Lemmings and Puzznic on my ST. E-Motion was good too, but not the best.
Deflektor was a great game. Let's also not forget Chip's Challenge.

There's an obvious one I'm going to plug too, otherwise TMR will think I'm slipping. But it only exists because the game it's based on (Cosmo Gang the Puzzle, which later became Pac-Attack) had some truly awful speed-increase / progression mechanics: Buzzsaw+

Actually there are quite a few good homebrew puzzle games for 8-bit machines. Back in the 80s, everyone was trying to mimic arcade machines with their multi-level scrolling and huge sprites, and few puzzle games made the mainstream.

TMR

Post by TMR » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:06 am

joefish wrote:There's an obvious one I'm going to plug too, otherwise TMR will think I'm slipping.
i actually did think that... =-)

Misery

Post by Misery » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:21 am

Hmmmmmmmmmm. If I had to list some older puzzle games that I like, I'd go with:

Tetris
Dr. Mario
Tetris 2 (NES)
Tetris Attack (SNES, I forget what this one's other name was. Played it to death, I have).
Every Lemmings game
Adventures of Lolo (and it's sequels. NES)
Krazy Kreatures (NES, and another one that I've played a gazillion times, always been a favorite)
Orb 3D (NES, part puzzle game, part WTF. Memorable for the scene with the big purple demon head)
Columns series

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:23 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
hydr0x wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:Tetris isn't a puzzle game, it's a reaction game. Where is the puzzle?
This is the argument I mentioned earlier ;) It's missing a crucial point though: Why should something that's a perfectly valid puzzle question (here: "What is the best placement of a block I'm given into an existing set of blocks to build complete rows?") suddenly not be called a puzzle just because you're put under extreme time pressure while solving it? No one would consider Speed Chess to be a different game genre than Chess ;)

Some genres are dificult to define, and puzzle is definately one of them. Given the example you give for Tetris being a puzzle game, one could argue that Space Invaders is a puzzle game. Do I move left or right, or do I fire my turret? Do I shoot through my bunkers? Do I take the invaders down one column at a time? Do I go for saucers rather than invaders? I would say that the example you give (and also the ones I do) are more strategy than puzzle solving games. Then again pure puzzle games also require startegy - just ask anyone who can solve the Rubiks Cube for example.
Yeah, the thing is though, twitch-action decision making is part of almost every genre (turn-based is one of the few that don't require this), so that aspect is never really enough to properly distinguish games.

Nautical Rudie

Post by Nautical Rudie » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:56 pm

Dr. Mario is a massive one for me, so addictive. As an outside bet, would Blast Corps count? I know its technically a vehicle/destruction game but working out the best routes to do a level in time had a lot of puzzle elements to it
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1873-6926. Give me a shout if you add me!

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:50 pm

joefish wrote:There's an obvious one I'm going to plug too, otherwise TMR will think I'm slipping.
TMR wrote:i actually did think that... =-)
Do you have a little bell that goes off whenever I post? Or is that just Darran, and he dials your beeper?

What can I say? I've been on holiday. I missed the first few pages.

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:09 pm

Fishsta wrote:
skooldaze_eric wrote:Kurushi
Bloody hell, yes. So good I bought it twice.
Yeah forgot about this for a second. An amazingly addictive puzzler that iv spent hours on.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

the_expendable90

Post by the_expendable90 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:00 am

The Lost Vikings Series :D

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:23 am

My top five would be along the lines of;
1) Lemmings
2) Lost Vikings
3) Kickle Cubicle
4) Solomon's Key
5) 7th Guest
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:51 am

Dr. Mario for me. I like various versions of Tetris too, including Tetripz. :wink:

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:11 am

adippm82 wrote:My favourites have long since been mentioned, really glad Koloomn was, frantic one that, especially with two players.

Not really favourite puzzle like games, but maybe worth considering, apologies if any have been listed already:

Twinkle Star Sprites - Neo Geo CD
Joy Joy Kid - Neo Geo CD
Meteos - DS
Fantavision - PS2
Mercury/Mercury Meltdown - PSP
Echochrome/Shift - PSP
It's Mr Pants - GBA
Kuru kuru Kururin - GBA
Polarium - DS
Actionloop - DS
World Of Goo - Wii
Magical Drop - Wonderswan
Taneomaku Tori - Wonderswan
Global Hexcite - Wonderswan
Soroban Gu - Wonderswan Color
Xai Little - Wonderswan Color
Pac Panic - CDi
Split Personalities - Spectrum
Puzznic - Atari ST
Cataclysm - Archimedes
I can confirm Kuru Kuru Kururin and World of Goo are excellent. Klax was pretty interesting too. The idea, atleast. :wink:

Crayon Physics Deluxe was also mentioned and is pretty neat.

EDIT: totally forgot on Portal. Even if it's not "retro" it's still pretty damn good. I guess Braid could also be considered a "puzzle platformer".

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:22 am

Kula World.

The Sane Psycho

Post by The Sane Psycho » Sun May 18, 2014 5:13 am

My favorite Puzzle game has to be Wario's Woods. I like the concept of picking up bombs and blowing up... whatever the hell those things are. I also like the freedom to move around. The music is also quite excellent, and the graphics are colorful. I love how Toad finally has his own game, and things like Wario coming in and terrorizing you elevate this game to god tier status. Truly an underrated game.

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Mon May 19, 2014 6:23 am

Got to be Puzzle Bobble 2 for me. Everything about it is perfect, the sequels mucked around with too many of the rules that made this what it is. Never managed to clear puzzle mode on one Credit and have been trying on and off since the bloody thing came out.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Mon May 19, 2014 6:30 am

A bit of a thread bump here by the looks of things but hey ho! :)

I've always had a soft spot for Columns on the Mega Drive. I find it to be a very therapeutic game despite how hectic it gets at the higher speeds, the music definitely helps to keep things calm :D

My over go to Puzzle game is Super Puzzle Fighter, despite how awful I am at the game I love how easily the game can be flipped completely on its head. One minute you can be fighting for survival with the blocks piling up for you to suddenly trigger a complete combo of gem breakers pulling a huge comeback. Rage normally ensues from the opponent at this point :twisted: :lol: