Questions about upgrading a PC

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Balders

Re: Questions about upgrading a PC

Post by Balders » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:56 pm

markopoloman wrote:If it makes you feel any better....

I've just bought a GTX770 for £359 :o

(My beasty PC was feeling down after the GTX470 blew up a few days ago!!! )
Phwoar, what an absolute beast of a gpu. Can't imagine how games must fly on that thing.

I'm using a mighty... *drumroll* ...GT520 ;)

However I've just bought an HD 7750 on eBay for $76 (about £45) so at least that's a step up. I don't think my el crappo pc could handle anything beefier.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:58 pm

I've been playing Grid 2 LOTS - and the GTX770 is just too good for it! I want more bells and whistles to give the card a bit of a push :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Balders

Post by Balders » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:28 pm

Haha, that's insane.

If you like seeing cards being pushed, perhaps you should spend some time with my gt520 ;)

Actually, one thing that bugs me is when there are seemingly arbitrary restrictions on max settings in games. Obviously no one's going to code in a bunch of features that only 1% of users will see, but when it comes to things like the draw distance of shadows or shrubs and rocks, which presumably is fairly easily scalable, it would be nice it they let power users set the limit to be the same as the actual terrain view distance.

Even on my cheapie gt520 I experienced the 'max settings aren't max enough' feeling with some older games. Doesn't matter how high you set the options in STALKER for example... you still get all the grass and bushes popping into existence as you traipse over the hills. Or in Colin McRae 2005... roadside grass magically appearing in the middle distance.