Data East Retro Appreciation Thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

witchfinder

Re: Data East Retro Appreciation Thread

Post by witchfinder » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:47 am

Bad Dudes and Robocop were two of my favourite arcade games back in the day, and I've had a soft spot for Data East ever since... I even have a DECO Cassette System arcade cabinet (sympathetically converted to a MAME multigame cab) at home! :D

Burgertime, Dunk Dream and Sly Spy are other faves of mine from their back catalogue.

Burgertime: World Tour is a recent remake of one of their more famous games on PSN, which is pretty good fun.
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:21 am

Express Raider is one of my favourites, very simple but fun.

Spent way to much money on it, but cannot remember which one of the local arcades (as were) had it!

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:00 am

Ah Bad Dudes, they had it in our local chip shop, wasted a lot of money on edging very slwly across the screen punching unlimited ninja's and then getting killed quickly by a fat man with curry breath. Good times.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:28 pm

Side Pocket on the Mega Drive for me. Best pool game I have played with some brilliant music and just a 'cool' vibe. There's also the Pocket Gal arcade games which the Side Pocket games were based on but the are quite pervy and not for everybody. Pocket Gal 2 DX is the best one though if anybody wants to MAME them.

I think somebody else bought the rights to Data East's IP when they went down the crapper and aside from a smattering of Virtual Console re-releases, they don't seem to be doing anything with the games :(

Well...there was a Data East compilation on the Wii but the fact that it didn't get a PAL release is a hideous and unforgivable crime.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:40 pm

thebear wrote:Here's their full list according to the ever reliable Wiki

Al Unser Jr.'s Turbo Racing
Bad Dudes VS. Dragon Ninja
Chelnov (also known as Atomic Runner)
Fighter's History
Joe & Mac series
Karate Champ
Karnov
Midnight Resistance
The Real Ghostbusters
Road Avenger (arcade version, Road Blaster in Japan)
RoboCop
RoboCop 2
Shadowrun
Sly Spy (Secret Agent in Japan and Sly Spy: Secret Agent in Europe)
Tumblepop
Two Crude Dudes (also known as Crude Buster)
Hook (1992)
Jurassic Park (1993)
The Simpsons (1990)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1991)
WWF Royal Rumble (1994)

Played lots of all of these!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Prof Mango B Coconut

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:59 pm

Oh, dear lord, I'm doomed! Earlier I loaded Side Pocket on to my phone (via MD.emu) and have just lost most of an evening to it. I... just... can't... stop... sinking... shots... Arrrghhh!

You win this round, Data East, but I'll be back!
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:12 pm

Lets see its a toss up Between Night Slashers and Bad Dudes (most iconic that sound).. Data East did so many awesome games to name a few
)
Bloody Wolf (arcade version known as Battle Rangers in Europe) Loved the PC Engine version, my friend and I played it down his house all the time, never knew it was a arcade games

BreakThru played this in Malta in unispiring

Chelnov (also known as Atomic Runner) saw this in a Crystal Castle cab in Torquay always wanted to play it, recently bought it off Guybush very hard love the end of the world graphic's.> Megadrive versions a lot better than the arcade

Gate of Doom (a.k.a. Dark Seal) love this game and its sequel, still play it regularly brilliant atmosphere the female character has a awesome voice "I'm the wizard"

Gondomania only played through Mame memorable intro

Heavy Barrel wasn't this the Cal 50 type game where all the Baddies where Boiler suits and welding Masks? Fab if it is

Hippodrome (known in Japan as Fighting Fantasy) lot of people slate it I like it, apart from the Snake Woman who one hit kills you so unfair.. The you tube replays make it look easy
Karnov :lol:

Last Mission Coin-op arcade & Commodore 64 always wanted to play this due to the Magazine adverts

Lock 'n' Chase

Midnight Resistance
Minnesota Fats: Pool Legend
Mutant Fighter (known as Death Brade for the Super Famicom) Own this on the Snes remember some kid banging the machine to get free credits and we finished it in two player
Mysterious Stones
Night Slashers Brilliant horror themed scrolling beat em up, which I discovered on Mame

Oscar: Psycho-Nics (a.k.a. Psychonics Oscar) ah yes the Arcade Turrican used o play this in the Copper Coin in Porthcawl.. Manfed Trentz admits basing Turrican on this, just think Turrican wouldn't exst if not for this game

Phantom of the Opera the Pinball is good never played the game
RoboCop brilliant film license

RoboCop 2 garbage and too hard impossible to complete without a sackfull of coins

Shadowrun one of the best Snes RPG's ever Bladerunner on the snes basically

Side Pocket series I prefer the Jap verson Pool Pot Kiss with the bunny girls
Sly Spy (Secret Agent in Japan and Sly Spy: Secret Agent in Europe)
Spin Master (known in Japan as Miracle Adventure (ミラクルアドベンチャー)) Playing this at the moment can mostly 1cc it needs more practise very unique platformers
Tattoo Assassins for some reason I like it
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:22 am

I've always loved the Mega Drive port of Chelnov (Atomic Runner). Great game!

Me and my cousin used to play a lot of Two Crude Dudes when we were younger, although i don't enjoy it that much these days :(

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:07 pm

After playing Outlaws of the Lost Dynasty to death on the Saturn I'm looking at getting a few more titles by Data East, specifically Fighters History Dynamite and Suiko Enbu: Fuunsaiki. Surprised to see how many of their games i played as a kid and Im hoping to revisit some at some point.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:31 pm

Treguard wrote:Ah Bad Dudes, they had it in our local chip shop, wasted a lot of money on edging very slwly across the screen punching unlimited ninja's and then getting killed quickly by a fat man with curry breath. Good times.
I loved the Karnov cameo

And yes, I also fell for the charms of fighting on top of a moving lorry.

Enjoyed Sly py (especially the bike bits)

Robocop is one of my most played MAME games - I would have been p1ssed if I'd have played that game in the arcades, as some of the later levels (mostly the ones with lazers - outside the OCP building) is HARSH and would have cost me a lot of money. As a movie tie-in, it has to be up there with the best of them tho.

"Thank you for your co-operation"