Does anyone actually bother with clone consoles

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RodimusPrime

Does anyone actually bother with clone consoles

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:21 am

I have started taking an interest in them, I know they are not perect and can be hit and miss but I have ended up with a few and am looking to see of the RETRON5 is going to be any good.

I do think they can be quite handy to save use on original machines and most of them are region free so can come in handy. So fa I have.

A retro Duo portable, I do like that you can use Snes pads and plug it straight into the TV.

retro duo portable + retro duo, with NES adaptors

A super players console that plays all region games + has a 50hz / 60hz switch on the side.

A megeadrive clone with games built in and its region free.

A generation NEX, I like this console as it has a famicom slot on the top, a nd you play the NES games through the front and it lets you use original NES pads.

and just got one of these, it plugs directly into your TV and has a load of megadrive games built in, but it also has an SD card slot and it reads Megadrive roms straight from the card.

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Does anyone actually bother with clone consoles

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:03 am

That joystick one looks good - not made by Blaze, is it?

I've got a Game Axe, which is a portable Famicom clone. It has an extra controller port and also came with an adaptor to play NES games on it, making the thing the tallest, most top-heavy unweildy handheld system I've ever used! Still like it though.

Also have a OneStation, which is the size of a GB Micro but plays Famicom games (and can play MD games with an adaptor, which I don't have). And then I have a RetroGen, which is tiny and plays Mega Drive cartridges, but it's absolutely awful. I did a review of it for RetroCollect a long time ago: http://www.retrocollect.com/Reviews/ret ... eview.html
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:06 am

The Generation NEX looks very nice indeed, I wouldn't mind one of them myself!

ulala

Post by ulala » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:24 am

i think they are a step too far for me.

I prefer the orig machines, and if i have to emulate, a pc

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:34 am

I could seriously get into these... but I don't dare... the Missus would kill me...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:23 am

Blaze comes under a lot of fire, but personally I don't have a problem with their Mega Drive stuff. The emulation might not be spot-on but the games are still playable enough. I do wish they'd change their built-in lineup a little though, to give people a little more incentive.
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:50 am

Nothing against Blaze myself - I've got one of their portable Mega Drives and one of their portable Master Systems as well. They've got a deservedly bad reputation over that whole Game Gadget thing, but when they stick to what they're good at (cheap Sega stuff), nope - no problems at all.

I'd never played Arrow Flash or Jewel Master until playing on a Blaze device, so they've got that going for their line-ups at least.
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:13 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:I'd never played Arrow Flash or Jewel Master until playing on a Blaze device, so they've got that going for their line-ups at least.
I'm not saying that the line-up games are bad, it's just that they're always the same! I have no incentive to buy any more of their Mega Drive consoles because I already own one.
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:30 am

I don't bother with them, as much as I would like it, with the gadget impulsivness that I have.

Its just the thing with old games, It isn't just about a quick fix on an old game. When I play my childhood games, I want to be fully transported back to that time, i.e/ crt, original consoles with original cart/disc etc.

I have access to sooo many ways of emulating these days, its unreal, but I just don't get the same sense of enjoyment playing through different means, so I just don't really bother in the end. I would rather pay £80 quid for a NES Zelda, then play it on the free 3DS download I got last year. Crazy logic maybe, but were all different

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:16 am

Have one called "Creation" its a mini NES, sadly the smell of burning inside and on the power adapter the other day as rendered it useless

Shame as it ran games better than the proper console did.

Might use its shell for a project

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:45 pm

Creation Box wrote:You and your families will entertain what you never did before with them
...Wut. Was this console dreamed up by ageing free-love hippies?! :shock:

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:11 pm

Nope.

The generally cost more than the real thing and the emulation on them is also generally terrible.

I just got sent a Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Arcade Portable by Funstock to review, the early verdict is not good . . . . .

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:46 pm

Sel Feena wrote:
Creation Box wrote:You and your families will entertain what you never did before with them
...Wut. Was this console dreamed up by ageing free-love hippies?! :shock:
Hang on heres a back piccy

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:06 pm

Hahaha those quotes are pure gold!

I have a N64 joypad famiclone which is pretty cool, but like said above I don't dare start collecting these as well as everything else..

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:41 am

RUOK wrote: I have a N64 joypad famiclone which is pretty cool, but like said above I don't dare start collecting these as well as everything else..
Ooh, got one of those too! First time I ever played Super Mario Bros was on one of those things...

On the brighter side, it was also the first time I played Lunar Pool, Pin Ball and Pooyan :D