Most difficult games you ever played?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sscott

Re: Most difficult games you ever played?

Post by sscott » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:06 pm

Super R-Type on the SNES, hard as concrete/re-enforced nails dipped in diamond (maybe)

Misery

Post by Misery » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:17 am

sscott wrote: That's not fun, it's just stoopid in my opinion, just a dodge em up, not a shoot em up
To be fair though, that is kind of the point. Danmaku shmups, also known as "bullet-hell" types, really are all about dodging the many intricate patterns, usually while at the same time blowing up damn near everything and also using some sort of often-complicated scoring system. They play and feel very different from "traditional" shmups like R-Type or whatever. Many of them also use mechanics such as bullet cancelling or reflection, or stuff like that.

Either Mushi game on Ultra is..... well, about as extreme an example as you can get. They really dont get any harder than that. And even then, for those games, that's one mode out of 3; the other modes are a bit closer to the usual difficulty of this type of shmup, though still a little high.

I need a challenge for any game to hold my attention, and my idea of difficulty is admittedly a little warped, so they're definitely my sort of thing. That's not to say there arent easy games of this type though, because there are. Something like Giga Wing is excellent for beginners and experts alike.

On the note of other types of difficult games, another occurs to me: Battlezone. I dont so much shoot at enemy tanks, it's more like I die in their general direction.

Also, Missile Command. Just.... argh. I give that one a real go every now and then, and every damn time, I fail to get any better at it.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:49 am

It's a cliché when it comes to hard games but i've got to say Ghosts and Goblins on the NES.

To this day I still haven't even finished the first run, i'm stuck on the tower/boss run level where you need to use the shield, the red demons near the top always get me :(

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:54 am

To continue the trend, I'm going to nominate Super Ghouls n Ghosts for the PSP. I literally can't even get half way through the first level, and I know this is just me as people have lets-play walkthroughs of it all the time.

How in the holiest of ****s can they get past the first level?

ulala

Post by ulala » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:39 am

slacey1070 wrote:Aitwolf on.the spectrum... I swear people must have spent cash on that and failed to get passed the regenerating wall on the first level.

I tried it again recently... Still can't play it.
Just what i was about to post.

I honestly didnt believe the game had a 2nd screen until i watched a youtube clip.

If you haven't attempted it, try playing it again today and you will see what i mean. It is the single most ridiculous opening to a game there has ever been. It makes the "driver" opening seem like Ryse.

The rest of the game is equally hard.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:49 am

ulala wrote:
slacey1070 wrote:Aitwolf on.the spectrum... I swear people must have spent cash on that and failed to get passed the regenerating wall on the first level.

I tried it again recently... Still can't play it.
Just what i was about to post.

I have had that game for 28 (twenty eight) years and i still have not cleared the very first screen.

I honestly didnt believe the game had a 2nd screen until i watched a youtube clip.

If you haven't attempted it, try playing it again today and you will see what i mean. It is the single most ridiculous opening to a game there has ever been. It makes the "driver" opening seem like Ryse.

Has anyone here ever past that wall?
Actually, yes, first SCREEN not level....

I did it a couple of times... My mate had a Spectrum and we'd both sit there trying to get passed it in turns.

I re-visited via emulator, to see if it was just me.... it wasn't....

A regenerating wall, that regenerates before you get chance to shoot a big enough whole in it to get through...

I do recommend you all have a go at it....
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:18 am

Aaaannd another nod to Ghosts n' Goblins from me. Ive been playing this since it was released and im still nowhere near to beating the darned thing :oops:

Stupid game :lol:

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:34 am

Cauldron 2 on the C64 who ever thought to make that Pumpkin bounce!! :twisted:

Metamorphic Force Arcade as your energy goes down by the second.. Got to the second boss without being hit once and died, suppose you could credit feed it but that defies the point..

Ibara Arcade impossible even the Japanese players on the Super Play video died loads of times.. Something about dying to bring your rank down at certain points in the game
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Misery

Post by Misery » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:58 am

Aha! I've got another one:

Ikari Warriors on the NES.

Anyone that has played this for about 2 minutes knows WHY.

I consider it a major accomplishment of mine that I have beaten the first level without using any continues. I'm not even going to try to describe the practice and such that went into pulling off such a feat.

I always actually liked that game, but holy CRAP. I've often wondered just HOW it came out that way. Did they not playtest it at all to make sure that it was doable without being some sort of space android from the year 30XX?

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:21 am

Kurushi Final. Just did not get it.

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:10 am

Art of Fighting 2. Great game but possibly the hardest fighter I've ever played, I get f****** whipped even with cheats enabled.

Honourable mentions: Ghouls N Ghosts, Ninja Gaiden, Magician Lord, R Type, Nam 1975, Ketsui, Salamander 2, Hidden and Dangerous, Operation Flashpoint, Mario Sunshine :oops:

Panther Clipper

Post by Panther Clipper » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:28 am

Possibly Gradius 3 I'm better at the vertical shooters rather than the horizontal ones. a special mention to DragonFire on the 2600, it gets very frantic!
"By what name are you known?"
"There are some who call me... 'Tim'...?"
"greetings, Tim the Enchanter."

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:47 am

All of them, because I'm just censored at playing games.
HADDOCKEN!

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:08 pm

Scapegoat wrote:All of them, because I'm just censored at playing games.
I hear you! The skill doesn't go but the patience does I reckon!

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:57 am

Transformers: Mystery of Convoy. I can't even get past the second level. The AVGN did a video on it where he finished it. I have no idea how, the game is just brutal.