Most difficult games you ever played?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mancman

Most difficult games you ever played?

Post by Mancman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:09 am

Just watched a Robocop 2 video for the GX400 on you tube and it made me laugh at how ridiculously difficult it was although I do remember back in the day having completed it, somehow!

Another game I remember having trouble with was Midwinter on the Amiga. Everyone raved about it back in the day but I just could not get my head around it and didn't progress very far.

I know shoot em'ups are notoriously difficult but to be honest i never played many of them because they would drive me mental!

will2097

Re: Most difficult games you ever played?

Post by will2097 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:24 am

Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox frustrated me to the point of absolute hatred for the game.

Misery

Post by Misery » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:56 am

In my case that'd be these 2 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuOQBL1T2o8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uON3zty3-Q

Those'd be Mushihime-sama, and it's sequel Mushihime-sama Futari. Specifically in Ultra mode. To give a perspective on HOW difficult they are, the very first attack the boss at the end of the first video does.... an attack which I call the "purple blur" because that's what it looked like when I fought it the first time... is one of the EASIEST patterns to dodge in that mode.

And the second game's Ultra mode makes the entire first game look simple. I can finish the first game on ultra.... but I couldnt even tell you how much practice it took just to beat the first STAGE in the second. Stage 2 still eats me.

And if I had to pick a non-shmup game.....

Ok, it would be Pac-Man. ANY of them. I dont even know why, but that entire series has always thwarted me. I love those games, but I'm bloody horrible at them.

Also, the original Tron arcade game. Bloody impossible, that one. The first set of 4 trials makes you think it's not going to be so bad. The second just squashes you without even trying.

James A

Post by James A » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:10 am

Muchi Muchi Pork. That was difficult on easy with unlimited credits

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:55 am

That'll be Harmful Park for PS1, on Very Hard Mode. This guy makes it look waaaaay too easy though!
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

Flint

Post by Flint » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:12 pm

Hyper Loderunner on the Gameboy, I couldn't complete one level as a kid(there was a level select) and to this day I can only manage a handful.

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:56 pm

Misery wrote:In my case that'd be these 2 here:

Those'd be Mushihime-sama, and it's sequel Mushihime-sama Futari. Specifically in Ultra mode. To give a perspective on HOW difficult they are, the very first attack the boss at the end of the first video does.... an attack which I call the "purple blur" because that's what it looked like when I fought it the first time... is one of the EASIEST patterns to dodge in that mode.

And the second game's Ultra mode makes the entire first game look simple. I can finish the first game on ultra.... but I couldnt even tell you how much practice it took just to beat the first STAGE in the second. Stage 2 still eats me.

Ok, it would be Pac-Man. ANY of them. I dont even know why, but that entire series has always thwarted me. I love those games, but I'm bloody horrible at them.

Also, the original Tron arcade game. Bloody impossible, that one. The first set of 4 trials makes you think it's not going to be so bad. The second just squashes you without even trying.
That's not fun, it's just stoopid in my opinion, just a dodge em up, not a shoot em up

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:04 pm

I don't have a large wealth of experience when it comes to shmups but G-Darius is one that I find ball-bustingly difficult with the insane amount of on-screen projectiles and enemies to avoid at times, especially with the bosses which take an age to die and are sometimes spewing out 2-3 different types of projectiles (some of them 'homing' projectiles!) and multiple fat lasers. Awsome game though all the same.

I'd also nominate Robocop Vs The Terminator on the Mega Drive. The first half or so of the game is manageable but later on in the futuristic levels it becomes hell and no amount of playing, knowing where all the lives/power-ups etc. are could get me past the terminator/gun turret boss thing on one of the last levels. Even making it there felt like an achievement. The two weapon system whereby you lose the gun you were holding when you die also sucks, especially if you forget to switch and get killed by a boss, leaving you with only the default pistol to try and defeat it :evil:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:39 pm

will2097 wrote:Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox frustrated me to the point of absolute hatred for the game.
Me too - I really WANTED to like that one, but even that first guy with the nunchucks wouldn't let me live.

Since playing this game I've hated ANY character that uses nunchucks (excluding Michaelangelo, obviously - he never uses them anyway).
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Prof Mango B Coconut

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:52 pm

Without question: Dark Seed. To this day I have absolutely no idea how anybody was supposed to complete the game and even less idea of how it managed to spawn a sequel (which I certainly didn't buy).
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:48 pm

Misery wrote:In my case that'd be these 2 here:

This is the reason I have never got on with shoot em ups. I know those were a bit extreme and I appreciate games like r type and gradius as great games but still too much hard work for me.

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:02 pm

Dalek Attack on the Amiga. Bloody mental. One of the main enemy types (the Daleks themselves) can kill you with one hit and are invulnerable to your standard weapon, only taking damage if you've picked up one of the handful of weapon upgrades on each level (the effect of which is extremely temporary). Just to reiterate, that's one of the standard enemies, not the bosses. The bosses are a special kind of hard reserved for people who can 1cc Metal Slug whilst blindfolded and having white noise blasted into their ears.
Last edited by killbot on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

William S

Post by William S » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:11 pm

Has to be Mega Man 1, Ghosts 'n Goblins and Ghouls 'n Ghosts.
ImageImageImage

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:36 pm

Aitwolf on.the spectrum... I swear people must have spent cash on that and failed to get passed the regenerating wall on the first level.

I tried it again recently... Still can't play it.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

weakboson

Post by weakboson » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:20 pm

Going to have to parrot Misery. I've beaten Mushihimesama Futari on God mode but Ultra towers over it like a mountain.

I also have to mention Pink Sweets. A legitimate 1CC of that without the infinite lives trick or on the 360's ver 1.00 mode is extremely tough - then there's Harder and Extended (2 loop) modes which might actually be impossible under these conditions.