Ouya Launch Day! Who's got/getting one today?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

AmigaJay

Ouya Launch Day! Who's got/getting one today?

Post by AmigaJay » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:40 am

As the title suggests, anyone received theirs yet? and what game will you be trying out first?
(btw this thread is about people who are getting one today or have already, no slagging off because you haven't received it yet or the fact its not a 'proper' console get a ps4/xbone blah, go hijack another thread!)
And yes it is 'retro' related before the usual folk moan "oh another new console thread" alot of the games have a retro look and feel to them, and the roots couldn't be any closer with lone programmers in their bedrooms once again making games...along with the fact its the first real machine since the days of the Amiga etc that programmers can sell their games on a machine that plays on your TV...exciting times imo...
Anyway mines due in the next hour or two, and will probably be trying out Towerfall out first to see what the fuss is about.

Grizzly

Re: Ouya Launch Day! Who's got/getting one today?

Post by Grizzly » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:20 am

Got mine two days ago (game staff could purchase early :D) but purely messed around with settings and some emulators and such. It's a nice little console with lots of promise, but needs work of course. The n64 emu that I tried (mupen64) is a bit slow off the mark with some games but it works to a playable degree. The thing I noticed with some of the games to download on the ouya store is that some run quite slow, tried vector and at times the frame rate dips to a crawl.

But bare in mind I played before release so teething problems will be apparent here and there. Looking forward to booting it up today, as a lot of games are releasing so I can expect updates to the older games as well.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:30 am

So Game are selling them in store?
Xbox Live: RetroBob

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:31 am

Ashens review doesn't inspire much confidence as of yet -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf_jmGaa ... Icb1UtmF1Q

I'm not really a big android fan so I think I'll be giving it a miss. I think the unit looks pretty cool though

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:41 am

RUOK wrote:Ashens review doesn't inspire much confidence as of yet -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf_jmGaa ... Icb1UtmF1Q

I'm not really a big android fan so I think I'll be giving it a miss. I think the unit looks pretty cool though
yeah, lots of poor reviews so far, it always looked liked it would plunge towards epic fail.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:18 am

AmigaJay wrote: lone programmers in their bedrooms once again making games...along with the fact its the first real machine since the days of the Amiga etc that programmers can sell their games on a machine that plays on your TV...exciting times imo...
I don't quite understand what you're saying there since the PC has been home to bedroom coders for like forever and it plays on my TV.
But I'm interested in the Ouya (and all the other Android consoles) so keep us posted please! :D
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:28 am

Did they ever fix the problem with the analogue sticks on the pad?

Also Madcatz announced their competitor to the Ouya yesterday and that seems pretty good!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:33 am

The Beans wrote:
AmigaJay wrote: lone programmers in their bedrooms once again making games...along with the fact its the first real machine since the days of the Amiga etc that programmers can sell their games on a machine that plays on your TV...exciting times imo...
I don't quite understand what you're saying there since the PC has been home to bedroom coders for like forever and it plays on my TV.
But I'm interested in the Ouya (and all the other Android consoles) so keep us posted please! :D
Theres also Android, someone must have a bit of originality somewhere as most of the games on the market for it feel like reskins (Temple run is rubbish and theres loads of clones)

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:21 am

RetroBob wrote:So Game are selling them in store?
Yeah, I've seen preorder displays in my local Game store.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:31 am

Onya no but there is another similar console called gamestick an android console on a USB like memory stick its bot USB but plugs directly into your tv's hdmi port. This looks like something id be interested in...

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:33 am

The Beans wrote: I don't quite understand what you're saying there since the PC has been home to bedroom coders for like forever and it plays on my TV.
Yeah i know the PC has been around since 100BC according to some, but its main screen is a monitor not a TV, yes i know you can plug them in to a TV now, but consoles and Amiga were popular on the basis you could play on a TV screen unlike competitors at the time.
HalcyonDaze00 wrote: yeah, lots of poor reviews so far, it always looked liked it would plunge towards epic fail.
That all depends on what some people call epic fail.....if it doesn't sell 80 million then yeah i agree...but it was never going to in an Android marketplace with dozens of other machines trying to get your money. If it makes the Ouya company money and enough to launch the Ouya 2 then i wouldn't say its a fail at all...as i said the revolution of Android based consoles has only just started, the more the merrier, it all helps brings games to the masses....original, fun....not the same old on consoles..

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:44 pm

Does anyone know if they sorted out the controller lag?

Prof Mango B Coconut

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:55 pm

I like the overall 'home grown' console concept behind Ouya, but I'm not so keen on the actual thing. If I want to play Android games, I can do so on my phone. If I want to play Android games on my TV, I can plug my phone into my TV. If I want to play Android games with a pad, I can switch on my Moga Pro.
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:31 pm

Prof Mango B Coconut wrote:I like the overall 'home grown' console concept behind Ouya, but I'm not so keen on the actual thing. If I want to play Android games, I can do so on my phone. If I want to play Android games on my TV, I can plug my phone into my TV. If I want to play Android games with a pad, I can switch on my Moga Pro.
And even then, you;d be stuck playing Android games :lol:

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:40 pm

theantmeister wrote:Does anyone know if they sorted out the controller lag?
From what I hear, yes, it was fixed in the last firmware update.