new Wolfenstein, preview & interview + review

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Space_turnip

Re: new Wolfenstein, preview & interview + review

Post by Space_turnip » Sat May 24, 2014 6:18 pm

No QTE so far that I've seen, just plenty of awesomeness. Superb game! I'd go as far as to say it's the most fun I've had this with sort of FPS since Half Life 2. Dual wielding Shotguns is something I'll never get bored of.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat May 24, 2014 7:49 pm

Really hope this does well enough to encourage other developers to make FPS games that don't follow the COD mould

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun May 25, 2014 6:42 pm

I bought this today and yep, very good indeed so far. Although there are enough health packs lying around to make it feel like you have a recharging bar anyway!

Good graphics, good sound, tight controls and most importantly good fun (so far). I'm impressed.

Eat your nans pants

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon May 26, 2014 9:42 am

This game is average trash. Previous Wolfenstein games have been better. A whole bunch of 360 titles are better. 3 days play max. No replay value whatsoever. I also think Rage looks better on the 360

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon May 26, 2014 10:10 am

Haven't made my mind up on the game yet, I really liked the last Wolfenstein game though, need to play it a bit more later in the week when I'm back from hols.

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon May 26, 2014 7:19 pm

koopa42 wrote:This game is average trash. Previous Wolfenstein games have been better. A whole bunch of 360 titles are better. 3 days play max. No replay value whatsoever. I also think Rage looks better on the 360
I haven't played any of the others apart from the original, will have to check them out if they are better as I'm really enjoying this. I have changed my mind about the Gfx. Poor when up close is an understatement, and should not be the case with the new hardware. I would accept it with the 360/PS3, not the PS4.

As for replay value, the only FPS to ever have any replay value for me is Half Life 2. So I wasn't expecting any from this. As things stand though I can see myself replaying it. It's good fun.

Eat your nans pants

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Tue May 27, 2014 7:07 am

I getting a little bit fed up with this now... (although they may be because I am ill at the moment)
All I seem to do in the central hub is run errands for the lazy occupants who can't be bothered to move five steps and get the items themselves.
I want to kill Nazis. I want to get in a Nazi Mech and lay carnage on the Third Reich. I had a brief moment escaping from prison (another fetch quest), but so far it seems so.......empty inside.
I'm about to begin the U Boat mission. I hope the action picks up.

PlodMadLoon

Post by PlodMadLoon » Thu May 29, 2014 3:45 am

koopa42 wrote:This game is average trash. Previous Wolfenstein games have been better. A whole bunch of 360 titles are better. 3 days play max. No replay value whatsoever. I also think Rage looks better on the 360
I still think Return to Castle Wolfenstein was the best of the 'modern' Wolfie games. I really enjoyed that one, and it felt to me in places almost more like a 3D version of Silas Warner's Apple II original than it did an update of the earlier Id Software game.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat May 31, 2014 3:05 am

crusto wrote:
I haven't played any of the others apart from the original, will have to check them out if they are better as I'm really enjoying this. I have changed my mind about the Gfx. Poor when up close is an understatement, and should not be the case with the new hardware. I would accept it with the 360/PS3, not the PS4.
Slightly off topic, disappointed to hear the 'new gen' has average graphics...I have seen a few new games now on various friends machines, PS4 & XBone, and neither have anything yet that is simply utterly drop dead must upgrade good. The think the 360 Wolfenstein will do me fine! :)

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Sat May 31, 2014 7:05 am

I'm dis-heartened with this so far.
Onto 4th disc and all it feels like is dull cut scene, tiny linear level then dull cut scene.
I understand it's not attempting to re-invent FPS, yet it is uninspired when I have to go on endless fetch quests
I was hoping for medium size levels with a few (not many) alternate routes, then a boss battle.
The game just seems content on showing me polygon sex scenes.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat May 31, 2014 12:20 pm

kiwimike wrote:
crusto wrote:
Slightly off topic, disappointed to hear the 'new gen' has average graphics...I have seen a few new games now on various friends machines, PS4 & XBone, and neither have anything yet that is simply utterly drop dead must upgrade good. The think the 360 Wolfenstein will do me fine! :)
Any game that straddles both generations of hardware is bound to suffer. When development is solely for the new hardware and devs have figured how to get the most out of it is when we'll see great graphics.

PlodMadLoon

Post by PlodMadLoon » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:10 am

kiwimike wrote:Slightly off topic, disappointed to hear the 'new gen' has average graphics...I have seen a few new games now on various friends machines, PS4 & XBone, and neither have anything yet that is simply utterly drop dead must upgrade good. The think the 360 Wolfenstein will do me fine! :)
The trouble with the new gen consoles I think is that the games coming out at the moment are seldom bothering to adequately improve upon the versions that are also being released on the previous gen systems at the same time.

It's not an either/or proposition, and I think the fact is that there's been less migration to new systems than MS or Sony had anticipated... which is partly because they're still supporting the previous generation consoles due to there not being as big a take-up of the new tech yet... which feeds into third-party developers not being willing to push the boat out and make the 'next gen' version **too** much better than the last gen version... which leads in part to there just not having been a deal-breaker yet.

So people look at the X360 version of the latest Need For Speed game or whatever, and then look the XB1 version, and they just say "Meh, the graphics are still great on the last gen one and the gameplay's exactly the same, so I won't upgrade".

Of course, MS and Sony would never just 'drop' support for previous gen because there's an installed profit base and it would just p*** everybody off. So they're really stuck between a rock and a hard place until enough people decide to take up the new consoles. Which is harder to do without unique titles. Which they just aren't getting much of at the moment. So the circle continues.

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:10 am

Sad to say that I have given up on this.
Got to the London Monitor and became so fed up with it that I have returned to Dark Souls 2
I only hope that I return to it later