No future for F-Zero?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kiwimike

Re: No future for F-Zero?

Post by kiwimike » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:50 am

Joey wrote:
Matt_B wrote:I think people have completely unrealistic expectations from Nintendo here.
Sorry mate I just dont agree. If an F-Zero/StarFox console game had come out in the last few years and massively flopped then you'd be onto something.

However... 10 years and 2 consoles on (in the case of F-Zero) and 15 years and 3 consoles on (in the case of Star Fox) I don't think at all anyone can say its unrealistic to expect that now is the time, more than any, to have a good crack at this IP, break the cycle and take a f-ing chance!
Yep, agree. I'd hardly call expecting a much loved franchise to make an appearance during a consoles generation unrealistic or unfair. In some of these cases, two generations.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:09 am

Beyond the retro community, I don't see Starfox or F Zero as big draws - it would take a weighy PR push from Ninty to get these going.

I don't know what the sales of Starfox were like on the 3DS - that probably holds a clue or two.

And F-Zero...? Probably a game of its time, fun, but the world has changed and I doubt it would be a big seller now.... although a 3DS version would be most welcome!!
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:27 am

A game of its time? What does that even mean?
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:35 am

slacey1070 wrote:Beyond the retro community, I don't see Starfox or F Zero as big draws - it would take a weighy PR push from Ninty to get these going.

I don't know what the sales of Starfox were like on the 3DS - that probably holds a clue or two.

And F-Zero...? Probably a game of its time, fun, but the world has changed and I doubt it would be a big seller now.... although a 3DS version would be most welcome!!
very true, it's good to see Nintendo finally putting some of it's games to bed once and for all, they should do it with some of their other stuff too. there are still some talented people at Nintendo, would be great to see them working on new games instead of the same tired old names they keep dragging up.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:30 pm

Says the man that plays the same old type of games over and over. Call of Duty anyone?
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:52 pm

Where could f zero go next? It's a 90s racer. It goes more wipeout or more Mario kart. To me neither of those is especially appealing.

A verison on the 3ds is about the best bet.

Some franchises just have their day.....

Some new ip from ninty would be welcome.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:12 pm

slacey1070 wrote:Where could f zero go next? It's a 90s racer. It goes more wipeout or more Mario kart. To me neither of those is especially appealing.

A verison on the 3ds is about the best bet.

Some franchises just have their day.....

Some new ip from ninty would be welcome.

A 90's racer? with more games released after 2000 and GX the best average rated game of the series came out in 2003. GX still rates as one of the best high speed racers ever IMO.

As for people saying its had its day, no not really, now is the best time to revisit the series because only now can the developers do some of the features justice.

It has sacrificed graphical detail for speed in the past and now it does not have to.

the 24 racers on track style of racing is perfect for the new online support consoles have

the track creator and vehicle creator that were introduced can finally be done justice due to built in HDD in consoles.

No, the opposite is true, this is the time all the features and ideas can all be fully realised at once.

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:43 pm

slacey1070 wrote: It's a 90s racer.
So is Gran Turismo and that still sells millions of copies. Street Fighter 2 is a 90's fighting game, the series is now more popular than ever. Super Mario World is a 90's platformer.... etc etc.

As the person above pointed out there's a load of features you could implement without even trying, especially as Nintendo have just about figured out the Internet exists and the value of a console connected to it!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:13 pm

slacey1070 wrote:Where could f zero go next? It's a 90s racer.
Doesn't stop other franchises being churned out ad nauseum. And the same can be said of any other racers. It could go new tracks, new vehicles for a start, incorporate WiiU controller, multiplayer...who knows maybe even a story mode of some sort. What sort of innovation have been in recent Mario Broths or DK?

If some of these franchises aren't dusted off, where does Nintendo go from here. Because I won't look at the WiiU until they can show a little more first part stuff than yet another annual Mario n friends :? And if Ninty fans tend to be losing interest, how will they attract others, especially with two new consoles on the horizon? If Mario didn't interest consumers last year, it's unlikely to sell any more Wii Us this year with another new Mario and DK. Been a huge fan over the years, but they seem badly out of touch nowadays.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:16 am

Joey wrote:
So is Gran Turismo and that still sells millions of copies. Street Fighter 2 is a 90's fighting game, the series is now more popular than ever. Super Mario World is a 90's platformer.... etc etc.

As the person above pointed out there's a load of features you could implement without even trying, especially as Nintendo have just about figured out the Internet exists and the value of a console connected to it!
Gran Turismo is also a series that died 10 years ago - bad example!

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:22 am

kiwimike wrote:
Doesn't stop other franchises being churned out ad nauseum. And the same can be said of any other racers. It could go new tracks, new vehicles for a start, incorporate WiiU controller, multiplayer...who knows maybe even a story mode of some sort. What sort of innovation have been in recent Mario Broths or DK?

If some of these franchises aren't dusted off, where does Nintendo go from here. Because I won't look at the WiiU until they can show a little more first part stuff than yet another annual Mario n friends :? And if Ninty fans tend to be losing interest, how will they attract others, especially with two new consoles on the horizon? If Mario didn't interest consumers last year, it's unlikely to sell any more Wii Us this year with another new Mario and DK. Been a huge fan over the years, but they seem badly out of touch nowadays.
Don't get me wrong, F Zero is great fun - but as I said, if Ninty revisit, then I fear it will end up more Mario Kart or more Wipeout. Neither appealing.

Story mode in racing games? No. They spoilt it. Look at the F12010 etc, good racing, but the story gets in the way. I play racing games to race.

F Zero was a colourful and speedy racer. They were its USP. Thats not enough anymore.

DK and Mario have both seen innovation in recent years - 3d for one - DK had a leap forward on the wii, then 3ds.

Don't get me wrong, f zero polished would be great fun, just most gamers would expect more.

Where does Ninty go? How about some new IP? How about moving away from the past?

We have threads on here about innovation, yet many seem to want Ninty to keep recycling the past.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:17 am

slacey1070 wrote:
kiwimike wrote:

Don't get me wrong, F Zero is great fun - but as I said, if Ninty revisit, then I fear it will end up more Mario Kart or more Wipeout. Neither appealing.

Story mode in racing games? No. They spoilt it. Look at the F12010 etc, good racing, but the story gets in the way. I play racing games to race.

F Zero was a colourful and speedy racer. They were its USP. Thats not enough anymore.

DK and Mario have both seen innovation in recent years - 3d for one - DK had a leap forward on the wii, then 3ds.

Don't get me wrong, f zero polished would be great fun, just most gamers would expect more.

Where does Ninty go? How about some new IP? How about moving away from the past?

We have threads on here about innovation, yet many seem to want Ninty to keep recycling the past.
Some fair points there, but IMO Ninty are the ones themselves recycling the past, but just using a limited franchise list. I'd love to see some Ninty Genius, especially Shigs, put some thought into some new franchises. Because at the moment, it hurts to say so but they just seem to to be rehashing old ground- and not only that, just the same old ground rather than some old ground fans are crying out for! :wink:
It's a shame, I want to see the Wii U go well, IMO it won't gain any ground until they move away from being a one Mario Trick Pony.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:42 am

slacey1070 wrote:We have threads on here about innovation, yet many seem to want Ninty to keep recycling the past.
I think the many have accepted that today's Nintendo aren't a company that produces a lot of new franchises. If we're going to be served endless installments in existing franchises we could at least get updates for dormant ones like F-Zero or Earthbound. I understand that Nintendo may not believe that these will be worthwhile but even i'm finding myself a little bored by the prospect of new Zelda.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:53 am

slacey1070 wrote:
Joey wrote:

Gran Turismo is also a series that died 10 years ago - bad example!
Every game in the series has sold over 10m units, apart from GT2 which sold just over 9m. How is that game dead or a bad example?

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:03 pm

Because GT WAS a great title... Now its not.... It's best days are behind it.

Creatively it stopped at 3.