No future for F-Zero?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

Re: No future for F-Zero?

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:54 pm

Countless series' receive a crazy amount of sequels and many crappy/average games/franchises manage to achieve a resurrection years later. With that in mind, there is no reason why a new F-Zero shouldn't exist. It hasn't had billions of follow-ups and it isn't crappy so I wouldn't say it has "had its day".
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:20 pm

slacey1070 wrote:Because GT WAS a great title... Now its not.... It's best days are behind it.

Creatively it stopped at 3.
Creatively? What exactly do you expect a racing simulation to create?

Seriously, some quite strange comments from you which I find quite surprising! However I do fully agree that some new Nintendo IP would certainly be nice, no doubt about that. If Nintendo aren't going to give us new IP though, I would prefer something different to Mario for a change. Nice to see Pikmin make a return, even if I am not a fan.

F-Zero though, wow it could be amazing and there is so much that could be done with futuristic racing and new tech. How about full in craft views with cockpit and all? Race tracks that can literally do anything you want. Huge 30 craft online multiplayer. You could add a twin accelerator system like Star Wars the arcade racer. More complex physics when craft collide. Drafting? Boost drafting?

The ideas are only limited to imagination. If there is one genre that has not had enough love in the past 8 years, it's the futuristic racer.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:27 pm

nakamura wrote:F-Zero though, wow it could be amazing and there is so much that could be done with futuristic racing and new tech. How about full in craft views with cockpit and all? Race tracks that can literally do anything you want. Huge 30 craft online multiplayer. You could add a twin accelerator system like Star Wars the arcade racer. More complex physics when craft collide. Drafting? Boost drafting?
...and a track creator :) . I think one was included in the final GBA game but not in a home version unless I was mistaken. Just take out the attacking moves though; I never used them at all.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:36 pm

There is a track editor in F-Zero Climax and damn good it is too. I can't figure out if you can race on it though, seems to be trials only.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

jfro666

Post by jfro666 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:47 pm

I am not big gamer of this forum but i have one question in my mind that why the Nintendo has not working?Is there any problem if problem then shared with me the solution of this problem.Thanks
[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
------)_'_\ * (
"----------\ * \
-----------\_*_\ "

davyK

Post by davyK » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:11 pm

I am gagging for a new F-Zero. X is my favourite - GX is stupendous but I just found it too hard for its own good.

F-Zero is quite unique as a racer - a big aggressive pack ,the energy bar risk/reward mechanic and the pure "no weapons" racing action all added together mean there isn't really an alternative and it's a shame modern gamers can't experience it - a straight up redux with online, track editor and maybe a new cup or two would be enough because , like Monkey Ball, it has reached its zenith - any more mucking around would break it. Maybe adding something like that mode in the later Wipeouts that had you speeding up on subsequent laps to see how long you survive would also adda bit of value.

Not being able to play F-Zero , or for that matter - say Sega Rally - on a modern console is like , for example, not being able to watch The Godfather in HD because its an old film. It's a crying shame. The best games remain good games no matter how old they are - it doesn't always hold up (e.g. try playing an old Tetris game with no wall kicks to see how clunky it feels - it's surprising how much that game has actually moved on) but if a game has reached its genre limits then generally it will always be good.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:47 pm

The original F-Zero was, by modern standards, extremly bare of content but what was there was extremly well realised, looked and sounded great and (most of all) was just so damn playable.

Pretty much the opposite of the modern sim racer IMO.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:08 pm

nakamura wrote:
slacey1070 wrote:Because GT WAS a great title... Now its not.... It's best days are behind it.

Seriously, some quite strange comments from you which I find quite surprising! However I do fully agree that some new Nintendo IP would certainly be nice, no doubt about that. If Nintendo aren't going to give us new IP though, I would prefer something different to Mario for a change. Nice to see Pikmin make a return, even if I am not a fan.

F-Zero though, wow it could be amazing and there is so much that could be done with futuristic racing and new tech. How about full in craft views with cockpit and all? Race tracks that can literally do anything you want. Huge 30 craft online multiplayer. You could add a twin accelerator system like Star Wars the arcade racer. More complex physics when craft collide. Drafting? Boost drafting?

The ideas are only limited to imagination. If there is one genre that has not had enough love in the past 8 years, it's the futuristic racer.
Ok, maybe (for me) it stopped being fun at gt3! After that it became a complex grind, which left fun out and replaced it with 800 more cats that follow s preset route... But I do acknowledge that many enjoy that... Just not so much me!

Don't get me wrong, a new f zero, especially on.the 3ds would be fun... But its usp was speed... And maybe colour.. and not sure the market would "get" that.. and skyfox was about 3d shooting... Innovative on the Snes, not so now.

Not anti either... Just understand ninty... Maybe!

Yes. Mario.. we have new super mario, 3d Mario, paper sticker Mario... How about something new?
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:54 am

nakamura wrote:

There's a job waiting for you at Ninty, some great ideas. And the tablet controller could be a great tool for track creation. Honestly, why can Nintendo heiracy not see the potential? To suggest F Zero is stale or out of ideas, yet the Mario Kart sausage factory keeps chugging them out...well, they should just admit it is simply about no risk money making.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:54 am

[quote="kiwimikeThere's a job waiting for you at Ninty, some great ideas. And the tablet controller could be a great tool for track creation. Honestly, why can Nintendo heiracy not see the potential? To suggest F Zero is stale or out of ideas, yet the Mario Kart sausage factory keeps chugging them out...well, they should just admit it is simply about no risk money making.[/quote]

The problem is, F Zero v Mario Kart isn't a fair comparison, as Mario Kart is a massive, massive franchise.... F Zero, much less so.

Of course, as I've said on here, Mario Kart is very stale and full of balancing issues (for me anyway, I know many disagree) - the last one I picked up was on the 3DS - fun - up to a point and I can't remember the last time I fired it up.

The tablet controller is an interesting point - many games would problem have some benefit from using it - just that no one actually is.

I know I sound "anti" f-zero, I'm really not, I'd pick it up at launch, if Ninty did it - I can just understand why its left unloved in the corner.... But then I was also very pleased The Clash never did a reunion tour too.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:13 am

slacey1070 wrote:[quote="kiwimikeThere's a job waiting for you at Ninty, some great ideas. And the tablet controller could be a great tool for track creation. Honestly, why can Nintendo heiracy not see the potential? To suggest F Zero is stale or out of ideas, yet the Mario Kart sausage factory keeps chugging them out...well, they should just admit it is simply about no risk money making.
The problem is, F Zero v Mario Kart isn't a fair comparison, as Mario Kart is a massive, massive franchise.... F Zero, much less so.

Of course, as I've said on here, Mario Kart is very stale and full of balancing issues (for me anyway, I know many disagree) - the last one I picked up was on the 3DS - fun - up to a point and I can't remember the last time I fired it up.

The tablet controller is an interesting point - many games would problem have some benefit from using it - just that no one actually is.

I know I sound "anti" f-zero, I'm really not, I'd pick it up at launch, if Ninty did it - I can just understand why its left unloved in the corner.... But then I was also very pleased The Clash never did a reunion tour too.[/quote]

For sure, I understand what you're saying. By the same token I probably sound Anti Ninty or at least Anti Mario kart, which I'm not (I have MK 7 on 3DS), just a bit disappointed and frustrated there are true gems in the Nintendo stable that could be given an update or new game and really give the library of the Wii U some much needed clout. Often mentioned, I'd love to see the likes of F Zero, Starfox, Metroid, the racers Wave Race, Excitebike and 1080 up and on the Wii U (and on the beloved 3DS). It'd make me take a second glance at it! :)
I would love to see the N64 Rare underrated classic Jet set Gemini return! :wink:

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:19 pm

kiwimike wrote:There's a job waiting for you at Ninty, some great ideas. And the tablet controller could be a great tool for track creation. Honestly, why can Nintendo heiracy not see the potential? To suggest F Zero is stale or out of ideas, yet the Mario Kart sausage factory keeps chugging them out...well, they should just admit it is simply about no risk money making.
As you mentioned at the end of that post, for Nintendo it's all about cost and time. They are constantly thinking about how cheap and quickly they can make their games. To surpass the incredible F-Zero GX as a package they would have to spend (for them) alot of time & money which i don't think they would be willing to do. They should just do a HD remake of it for WII U with 60fps and online racing. I would probably buy a Wii U for it.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:22 pm

SonicTheHedgehog wrote:
kiwimike wrote:There's a job waiting for you at Ninty, some great ideas. And the tablet controller could be a great tool for track creation. Honestly, why can Nintendo heiracy not see the potential? To suggest F Zero is stale or out of ideas, yet the Mario Kart sausage factory keeps chugging them out...well, they should just admit it is simply about no risk money making.
As you mentioned at the end of that post, for Nintendo it's all about cost and time. They are constantly thinking about how cheap and quickly they can make their games. To surpass the incredible F-Zero GX as a package they would have to spend (for them) alot of time & money which i don't think they would be willing to do. They should just do a HD remake of it for WII U with 60fps and online racing. I would probably buy a Wii U for it.
Yeah, that's a good reason why they should seriously consider it. If they can chug out their huge franchises like the Mario ones, it'll keep the Wii U sales going along for the fans of the huge franchises but not get the interest of other fans. As you point out, you'd look twice at the Wii U with F Zero out, then odds are you'll buy other games too.
Same for me. if Ninty bought out these games again, made them with the quality we know they can to the point where you just can't not look at the Wii U seriously...everyone's a winner! :wink: F Zero and Metroid are the obvious two screaming out for the Ninty Love! There's a couple of other games that have made me think about getting one, a couple of those exclusives hitting it and I would most likely be sold :)

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu May 12, 2016 7:59 am

With the NX coming up, hopefully we see a new Game.

With the Wii, and WiiU its been 2 consoles without one.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu May 12, 2016 8:26 am

RodimusPrime wrote:With the NX coming up, hopefully we see a new Game.

With the Wii, and WiiU its been 2 consoles without one.
You're in another necro-thread bump mood today!

I would love to see another F-Zero game, and it doesn't even have to be on a home console. They could have easily had done more for the DS and now 3DS. I quite liked the ones on the GBA, even if they didn't quite match up with their home versions.