Reader poll: Best SNES games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RodimusPrime

Re: Reader poll: Best SNES games?

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:45 pm

While I in no way consider these the actual best, these are the games that have personally given me the most enjoyment.

1. Super Mario World - not very imaginative, but its popular for very good reason.

2. UN Squadron - Still my fave shooter of all time

3. Super Probotector - love the entire series, had Gryzor on the amstrad, Probotector on the NES and just had to have this and it did not disapoint

4. Super Soccer - strange choice but at the time me and friends would play tournaments that would last all day.

5. Smash TV - played this for hours upon hours in 2 player

6. Streetfighter II - a freind got a copy on import and we would all cram into his house every lunchtime at school.

7. Sim City - I would play this for hours upon hours on rainy afternoons and never get bored.

8. Turtles in Time - in 2 player this was brilliant fun.

9. Topgear - Not a classic but I loved it and have always held a fondness for the game.

10. mariokart - for obvious reasons.

extremely influenced by nostalgia, but who cares.

William S

Post by William S » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:15 pm

Super Mario World - 10
The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse - 9
Contra 3 - 8
Super Mario All-Stars - 7
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts - 6
Street Fighter 2 Turbo - 5
Super Star Wars - 4
Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures - 3
SMW 2 - Yoshi's Island - 2
Final Fight - 1
ImageImageImage

ulala

Post by ulala » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:28 am

I just dont understand why in these lists, that confusion over position #10 and points total 10 arises.

Its madness, and it happens time after time.

How about just asking for your top 10 - we can all understand then what you put in position 1 is what you consider the best.

Anyway, there is my preferences:

1 Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
2 Super Mario World
3 Super Mario Kart
4 Streetfighter II The World Warrior
5 Sim City
6 Super Aleste
7 Donkey Kong Country
8 Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts
9 StarFox
10 Mortal Kombat 2

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:33 am

davyK wrote:I am deliberatly leaving out Super Mario Kart - it is still brilliant but the later versions are more accessible - Double Dash displaces it as the version I would recommend.
Meh, for me, Nintendo has done nothing but ruin Mario Kart with each successive release.
RodimusPrime wrote:1. Super Mario World - not very imaginative, but its popular for very good reason.
Yeah, I remember back in the 90s you couldn't move for games with plumbers with superman capes that rode dinosaurs that grew wings when they ate blue koopa shells. :roll:

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:35 am

theantmeister wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:1. Super Mario World - not very imaginative, but its popular for very good reason.
Yeah, I remember back in the 90s you couldn't move for games with plumbers with superman capes that rode dinosaurs that grew wings when they ate blue koopa shells. :roll:
I think he means, not very imaginative in his decision.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:41 am

samhain81 wrote:
theantmeister wrote:
I think he means, not very imaginative in his decision.
D'oh! Apologies for the snark Rodimus.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:04 am

Very hard to put these in some sort of list :P

(even harder narrowing down to just ten titles!)

1] Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
2] Super Mario World
3] Super Metroid
4] UN Squadron/Area 88
5] Street Fighter II Turbo
6] Chrono Trigger
7] Super Castlevania IV
8] Super Mario Kart
9] F-Zero
10] Cybernator/Assault Suits Valkan
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:27 am

I think he means, not very imaginative in his decision.[/quote]
D'oh! Apologies for the snark Rodimus.[/quote]

No Worries, I can see how it could have been read wrong, But yeah I meant it was an unimaginative choice.

Anonymous X

Post by Anonymous X » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:21 pm

Terranigma needs more love. :( List from greatest to great.

Terrarigma
Yoshi's Island
Chrono Trigger
LoZ: A Link to the Past
Super Mario World
Super Mario RPG
Soul Blazer
Axelay
Parodius
Cybernator
Last edited by Anonymous X on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:17 pm

Descending Order;

Super Probortector/Contra 3
Desert Fighter/Air Strike Patrol
Batman Returns
F-Zero
Super Mario World
Super Aleste
Starwing
Super Castlevania 4
Super Mario Kart
Street Fighter 2

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:19 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
6. Streetfighter II - a freind got a copy on import and we would all cram into his house every lunchtime at school.
We use to do the same thing with my copy of Alpha 2!

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:25 pm

Has this been in the magazine yet? I've only just read issue 118 with the top 25 Mega Drive games which led me to look for a SNES version. If there's still time to include my votes...

The best at the top:
  • Terranigma - What an adventure, I can't put this game into words. My favourite RPG of all-time. I loved travelling the world and even buying and furnishing my own house, which seemed like a new thing back then.
  • Secret of Mana - Superb alone, but wow - I could play it simultaneously with my brother! Awesome action and locations, and some great tunes.
  • Tetris Attack - A great challenge on 1-player, but it comes into its own with 2. There's not much in the gaming world more satisfying than doing a 12x chain and seeing your friend panicking as a massive block slams down on to their side of the screen. Fast and frantic, and some of the music was (surprisingly?) very good. It seems my favourite puzzle game of all-time is also on the SNES.
  • Super Mario World - 2D platform perfection.
  • Donkey Kong Country 2 - The best levels and music of the SNES's DKC trio. Co-op mode probably pushes it above...
  • Yoshi's Island - Some of the best, most inventive bosses on the SNES. I'm glad Nintendo didn't really do another SMW.
  • Super Bomberman 2 - not matched for multiplayer fun until Bomberman Blast on the Wii.
  • International Superstar Soccer Deluxe - I couldn't belive how much better ISS was than FIFA (it probably pushed EA into upping their game) and Deluxe was even better. For the first time you could score real looking goals, and there were a nice few tricks (and little touches like knocking the camera man over).
  • Super Probotector/Contra III - There's just something so satisfying about constantly reeling off a load of weaponry (even when there are no foes left to blast) while on the run. Wouldn't have been as fun with an ammo limit.
  • Unirally - Unique, fast and fun. It had a brilliant sense of humour. Even that first level drag race where you tried to get as close as possible to 30 seconds was fun. I love doing stunts on Downer. I also love Pixar but hate them for suing DMA Design, which I think led to this game being removed from the shelves.
EDIT - I've taken out Top Gear and replaced it with Unirally...
Top Gear - The AI was crap with the computer opponents driving in zig-zags, but there was still something addictive about this game. The sense of speed, 2 player and music were great.
I'm gutted I couldn't fit Unirally in there, and a special mention to Smash Tennis and Legend of the Mystical Ninja. I also loved Olympic Summer Games - endless summer days were spent indoors button-bashing with friends, but I'd just be being sentimental if that was in my top 10.
look at it sideways wrote: 4. Donkey Kong Country 2 - I'm going to put it out there...this game has the best music out of any SNES game. The soundtrack is just fantastic. (7 points)
It's definitely a contender. Have you heard some of the OCRemixes of the tracks? Brambles in the Breeze (Stickerbrush Symphony) by Protricity is absolutely superb: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtcAw3U6LPk

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:33 am

OK, I'll make my own list deliberately not listing the ones that'll be in 99% of the other lists (So no Mario, Zelda or Metroid in my list, but if they were in it they'd be top contenders...)

10. Desert Strike
Came out shortly after the Gulf War and was a pretty enjoyable helicopter game that interspersed the action with frantically searching for supplies and people to rescue after you'd taken a few hits

9. Super Bomberman
Need I say anything here? Ah, of course I do. Bomberman + Multitap = hours (if not days) gone by without you realising it

8. Sim City
Is there anything I can say about this that hasn't been said thousands of times before? I don't think so.

7. Rock & Roll Racing
An Isometric racer with great tunes, big cheerful graphics and wonderful gameplay.

6. Cannon Fodder
Anyone who's played this (or even just read the last few Retro Gamer magazines) will know the deal here...

5. Theme Park
As with Sim City, I need not go into detail here. Personally I have the PC, SNES and DS versions - that's gotta be a sign of how much I enjoyed this...
4. Street Fighter 2 Turbo
This was THE reason to own a SNES in the 1990s and provided an experience true to the popular arcade cabinet (or as close as you were going to get on a home console at the time).

3. Contra 3 / Super Probotector
Run & Gun games were always good, and Super Probotector put Mode 7 to great use with some rather epic stages.

2. Starwing / Starfox
While the name changes proved confusing for some, it doesn't change the fact that this game changed the perspective of many people and lead the foray into 3D gaming on home consoles.

1. Pilotwings
Ah, Pilotwings. A game you can pick up for 2 minutes or 2 days. It's quick & easy to learn, but nigh-impossible to master. I challenge anyone to play from start to end in one sitting getting a perfect rank on all events (and not being shot down in the Secret Command missions)
Where logic won't work, I will