retro gaming museum and archive

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Post Reply
3fruits
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:48 pm
Location: london
Contact:

retro gaming museum and archive

Post by 3fruits » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:37 pm

Hey all,

I've been putting together a team over the past year to create a project that archives retro gaming releases from systems to games. Restoring where required to perfect state.
We plan to collect every boxed variant console such as st2 pack, sup Mario, Mario kart and so on in the case of the SNES and same for all other consoles.

Our aim will be to open the museum 6 times a year to the public.

We have a massive hangar to load this stuff to.

Basically every accessory, console and variant. Games, magazines
Will all be saved and displayed.
Arcade units in the near future.

What are your thoughts? We will be asking people to donate items.

User avatar
TwoHeadedBoy
Posts: 9028
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:55 am
Location: Liverpool
Contact:

Re: retro gaming museum and archive

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:47 pm

Nice idea, but is it really any different to this?
http://www.retrocomputermuseum.co.uk/
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24744
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: retro gaming museum and archive

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:51 am

Nar he just wants to have them on display, waste of time if you ask me as they are made to be played, if people want to see them theres tons of pictures on the internet

User avatar
hydr0x
Posts: 2164
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:31 pm
Location: Germany

Re: retro gaming museum and archive

Post by hydr0x » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:04 am

What's the use in going for every console packaging variant if you're running a museum+archive? That makes no sense. In a museum you can't display them all and no one actually wants to see them all, most are happy if they see one nicely boxed console. In an archive, it makes even less sense. At least talk to some people who have run an video game archive and/or museum before you start this as there's a lot more to it than it seems:

- Which games can I make playable for visitors, and which ones do I want to make playable (aka, you need to curate a game canon)
- How much stuff can I really display at any given time. AFAIK most museums are only able to display far less than 1% of their archive.
- Can I attract enough people to finance the huge space?
- You mention a hangar, do the premises allow waterproof and fireproof storage of your archive?
- How many people do you need to run it? If you rely on donations, expect very irregular lots. Just got in a collection of 700 loose famicom carts? Have fun cataloging them all before the next stuff arrives. Will you have the manpower to achieve that?

Woah, just read this part again: "Our aim will be to open the museum 6 times a year to the public". Okay, so basically you want to disguise your private collection as a museum to gain certain benefits. Great, that's what the world needs. If you can't run a permanent exhibition, don't plan it as a museum.
Image

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24744
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: retro gaming museum and archive

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:24 am

hydr0x wrote: Woah, just read this part again: "Our aim will be to open the museum 6 times a year to the public". Okay, so basically you want to disguise your private collection as a museum to gain certain benefits. Great, that's what the world needs. If you can't run a permanent exhibition, don't plan it as a museum.
Problem is with running something like that 7 (or even) 6 days a week is it needs to be staffed, running costs would be a lot more than dotations.

Did have the idea of making a "Minibus of gaming" and touring the country (avoiding the less than reputable bits)

One major drawback is I cant drive

User avatar
rupert
Posts: 871
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: manchester, england
Contact:

Re: retro gaming museum and archive

Post by rupert » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:02 pm

DPrinny wrote:
hydr0x wrote: Woah, just read this part again: "Our aim will be to open the museum 6 times a year to the public". Okay, so basically you want to disguise your private collection as a museum to gain certain benefits. Great, that's what the world needs. If you can't run a permanent exhibition, don't plan it as a museum.
Problem is with running something like that 7 (or even) 6 days a week is it needs to be staffed, running costs would be a lot more than dotations.

Did have the idea of making a "Minibus of gaming" and touring the country (avoiding the less than reputable bits)

One major drawback is I cant drive
Thats actually a pretty cool idea. Much better than the one that started this topic.

User avatar
thebear
Posts: 1032
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 5:30 am

Re: retro gaming museum and archive

Post by thebear » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:42 am

if they're be played why only open 6 times a year to the public?

What will happen to the collection people donate to you for the rest of the time?

Surely if you want these games all donated you should be open all the time to the people that sent themto you (ie the public)

Also I assume some guarantee against the games being sold at some stage in the future is given?
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

psj3809
Posts: 18846
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: retro gaming museum and archive

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:53 am

This reminds me of that girl who wanted to expand her computer shop into some large retro style place. She tried through kickstarter and failed badly.

The retro gaming museum sounds great but like you say after donations what happens if the museum shuts down in a years time, at least the owner could make a tidy sum on a lot of the 'donations'.

Its a difficult one, its a great idea but i just think very difficult to keep it open in todays day and age.

User avatar
thebear
Posts: 1032
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 5:30 am

Re: retro gaming museum and archive

Post by thebear » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:09 am

psj3809 wrote:This reminds me of that girl who wanted to expand her computer shop into some large retro style place. She tried through kickstarter and failed badly.

The retro gaming museum sounds great but like you say after donations what happens if the museum shuts down in a years time, at least the owner could make a tidy sum on a lot of the 'donations'.

Its a difficult one, its a great idea but i just think very difficult to keep it open in todays day and age.

I agree

currently it's like "send us god knows how much worth of games for free and we'll let people play it once every 50 days"

It needs to be open to the public pretty much all the time with guarantees about no profit making and games being sent back to donaters in the case of it closing or whatever
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24744
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: retro gaming museum and archive

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:46 am

Its difficult to keep most games shops and things open. best to get friendly with a local pub owner and do a games night in there.

Like I did

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests