Trains in games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Antiriad2097

Re: Trains in games

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:55 pm

I have Train Sim from Steam (obviously, where else would you buy that? ;)). I just didn't have as much fun with it as I did the simpler Trainz.

As we're including modern games, From Russia With Love deserves a mention.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:13 pm

Slightly more obscure are Grim Fandango and Iron Storm on PC

A game I desperately wanted to love, but which I could never get into, was Transarctica on the 'miggy.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:26 pm

Ferret Oxide wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote: There's certainly a more traditional videogame of the franchise on the C64.
That's the one I mentioned. It was surprisingly hard for a kid's game. Unfair in places, too. It led to me having an irrational hatred of diesel trains.
Well, Diesel IS the "baddy" on the Island of Sodor...

My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:49 pm

Railroad Tycoon - entire nations are your trainset.

Of course, the most amazing FMV trains have to be the hanging steam monorails from Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus, even if their design is a topological impossibility.

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:01 am

Wow no Half Life mentioned? Greatest intro to a game ever.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:29 am

RUOK wrote:Wow no Half Life mentioned? Greatest intro to a game ever.
More of a tram though right?

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:31 am

There's the underground mazerunner in Myst, and a bathysphere version of it in Riven. Then in that and the later Myst games there are some crazy rail-coasters to ride in. The opening one in Myst IV that plays back full 360° immersive FMV so you can look around as the pre-rendered scenenery goes past and Atrus' daughter chats to you is particularly impressive.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:42 am

Timesplitters 2 (I think) had a train section in it and you could see your future self, or past self... or alternate self in another carriage... that was one good game.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:51 am

There's a great level in Psikyo's Gunbird, where the Trump gang board a train and you chase it on your broomstick/flying carpet/whatever.
They keep whipping off covers over mechs or gun ports as you work your way up the train, and as you defeat each one they disconnect the wagon and let it roll away with a toot of the train whistle. Eventually you get to the engine, which after several hits transforms into a mech skating along parallel rails.

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:58 am

slacey1070 wrote:Timesplitters 2 (I think) had a train section in it and you could see your future self, or past self... or alternate self in another carriage... that was one good game.
It was Future Perfect, I need to play that again sometime. Can't remember much about that level other than the boos and covering for your future/past self.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

imaxeroker85

Post by imaxeroker85 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:06 pm

Excellent topic. here are some of my favorites.

1.GTA 3, i loved riding the rail train on the first island, simple pleasures I guess, nothing like it at the time. The Subway opening up on the 2nd island was pretty cool too, but i loved that train on the first level.

2. Thrasher Skate & Destroy. Horrible game but I spend most of my time launching my skater into the oncoming subway train.

3.Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX. Better game, but still heaps of fun getting the timing right and launching into the train on the first level.

4. Mario Kart 64. Had heaps of fun getting that timing right and either following the train to get the shortcut or just getting through the gates just in time to cut off the other racers.

5. 50 Cent Bulletproof, I actually enjoyed this game throughout, but my favorite level was shooting and gutting dudes throughout a subway train.

6. X-Treme Express Grand Prix, Simple Series 2000 game for the PS2, How can you race trains?, this game actually finds a way.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:02 pm

The third level of VectorMan has you turning into a train, riding along some rails miles up in the sky, whilst a nuclear warhead with arms is climbing underneath it and you have to shoot him down.

And Contra: Hard Corps has a train level too (there's not much that game DOESN'T have!).
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

supermario

Post by supermario » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:42 am

Biomechanical Toy has a train level - with great music too !

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:23 am

samhain81 wrote:
RUOK wrote:Wow no Half Life mentioned? Greatest intro to a game ever.
More of a tram though right?
I guess so... but for 15 years I've called it a train :roll: