Best version of Doom??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RUOK

Re: Best version of Doom??

Post by RUOK » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:05 pm

^^I'm hoping to add a few more games to that thread this weekend (bloody work delaying my gaming time...)

My favourite version of Doom is ZDoom on the PC, it allows for some amazing mods and lets you play with modern 3D controls.

http://zdoom.org/News

I also love the Jag version, PS version and I have a soft spot for the SNES version as it's amazing they got an (almost) playable version on that console. I just wish the PAL cart was the sexy red colour they used for the US version

A few years back I played through Doom again on the GBA, now that version is awesome for on the go mayhem. The shoulder buttons are great for strafing and the game actually translates really well to the smaller screen.

I was looking out for a copy of the Saturn version but I'll steer clear bearing in mind what you guys have said above, saying that it's not that expensive.

Oh and if all else fails in Doom there is always IDDQD & IDKFA :)

davyK

Post by davyK » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:35 pm

Doom II on PC is the king. However Doom64 is quite brilliant as well.

Anyone who complains about the control is probably using the default. Use the stick to move forward, back , left + right (allows for lovely arcs). One of the camera buttons is held down to strafe. another for actions. A and B select the weapon (quick multi-tapping for fast select once you know what you are doing) and trigger (b) to fire. Brilliant - the levels are all new and look exquisite. The sound is inspired - ambient creepy noises which nightmares are made from. Three downsides....the enemy roster is down a tad due to memory, there is no mid level save and no multi-player which was cut due to time constraints according to an article I read on the web a while back which was accompanied by a PC version (!)

Well worth a look.

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:48 am

Thanks davyK I've been thinking about it for a while but after your post I finally bought Doom 64 last night, got it boxed with manual for 11 quid on eBay.

I want don't to derail the thread but what do you guys think of Duke Nukem 64?
Last edited by RUOK on Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:45 am

Duke? Its not Doom, not even close

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:07 am

I loved Duke, played a lot of it online back in the day on Wireplay

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:19 am

RUOK wrote:I loved Duke, played a lot of it online back in the day on Wireplay
I think Duke 3D on the PC is one of the true greats ...... it's just not Doom. It is up there with Doom on cool secrets though

davyK

Post by davyK » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:31 am

RUOK wrote:Thanks davyK I've been thinking about it for a while but after your post I finally bought Doom 64 last night, got it boxed with manual for 11 quid on eBay.
Enjoy. There are a few splendid faqs that reveal how to unlock the 3 hidden fun levels (lvl 25,26 and 27) that you skip over when playing normally.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:11 am

RUOK wrote:Thanks davyK I've been thinking about it for a while but after your post I finally bought Doom 64 last night, got it boxed with manual for 11 quid on eBay.

I want don't to derail the thread but what do you guys think of Duke Nukem 64?
DOOM 64, tried it, hated it PLATFORMING SECTION!!? REALLY??

Duke 64 needed a option to turn lookspring "Off"

davyK

Post by davyK » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:01 am

DPrinny wrote: DOOM 64, tried it, hated it PLATFORMING SECTION!!? REALLY??
What platforming section? I have to admit to not completing it (in the mid 20s iirc) Maybe there is something I haven't come across yet? There is no jumping in Doom64 so how can there be a platforming section?

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:42 am

Only ever played the PC version (via MAME) so that is my one true DOOM love. But, after reading most of the comments here, I now really want to try the PS version too.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:28 am

davyK wrote:
DPrinny wrote: DOOM 64, tried it, hated it PLATFORMING SECTION!!? REALLY??
What platforming section? I have to admit to not completing it (in the mid 20s iirc) Maybe there is something I haven't come across yet? There is no jumping in Doom64 so how can there be a platforming section?
Its a platforming section with out a jump. running from platform to platform before the door closes

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:16 pm

DPrinny wrote:What platforming section? I have to admit to not completing it (in the mid 20s iirc) Maybe there is something I haven't come across yet? There is no jumping in Doom64 so how can there be a platforming section?
Its a platforming section with out a jump. running from platform to platform before the door closes[/quote]

Same as level 8 of Doom 2. However Doom 64 loses points in my eyes for removing the shotgun reload animations

errolwd40

Post by errolwd40 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:36 pm

|really enjoyed the gba versions when they were released around 2001/2002.

The sound was a bit tinny but graphics were nice and chunky and gameplay intact.

:)

pforson

Post by pforson » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:49 am

slacey1070 wrote:Why would anyone, ever suggest anything other than the PC? Mods, maps, updates a plenty.
I assumed everyone was voting PS1 because the OP vetoed PC as an option.
samhain81 wrote:Obvious guess would be the PC, but I want to experience the best 'other' version
If, however, I have misunderstood and PC is a viable voting option, then you are indeed correct.
Everyone voting PS1 should be ashamed ;)
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:01 am

I didn't even realise you couldn't say PC ..... and still said the mighty PSX version of awesomenessness