Really Short Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ivortheinjun

Re: Really Short Games

Post by ivortheinjun » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:18 am

Sonic Chaos. Still can't believe the disparity between my excitement at buying it and my disappointment at playing it.

The original one for this in my house though is Stryker's Run on the Electron. There's two or three hard bits, but once you sussed the pattern to when and where everything fired, the whole thing could be played through in about 10 minutes. Always annoyed me because it got phenomenal reviews at the time as well.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:32 am

I completed 18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker in around 27 minutes. True story. And that included the parking missions (puny though they were.) It looked great (still does in my opinion) but woefully short :(

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:03 am

englebert3rd wrote:I would say Aliens: Infestation for DS, I was kinda bummed to finish it so quickly! Really good game though!

I agree, it went far to quick, and imho, it's one of the best Aliens games ever made! Better than any of the FPS crap they put out

The Cave was shorter than I wanted it to be, does that count?

Scramble is a really short game, but man what a time!

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:15 am

The Empire Strikes Back (arcade and Domark conversions) - you'll have seen everything the game has to offer within 5 minutes.

Still love it though! :oops:

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:38 am

Jumping Flash on the PlayStation. Fabulous first-person fully-3D platform game, but so few levels it's all over far too soon.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:53 am

Dark Castle on the Mega Drive can be done in... 56 seconds!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szPT-dA2HOs
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:27 am

SoupDragon wrote:I completed 18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker in around 27 minutes. True story. And that included the parking missions (puny though they were.) It looked great (still does in my opinion) but woefully short :(
Was this the Dreamcast or GC version?

Prof Mango B Coconut

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:19 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Dark Castle on the Mega Drive can be done in... 56 seconds!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szPT-dA2HOs
Is that the amount of time it takes to reach the ground after being thrown out of the nearest window?
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:42 am

Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City, ended far to soon.
Halo 4 took me the whole of what seemed like 4 hours.
Limbo took around an hour and 1/2.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:10 am

For me it has to be "Radar Mission" on the Game Boy (and 3DS virtual console) - Game A in that is essentially "Battleships" played 3 times in a row, while game B is a "Periscope" type game where you simply destroy 3 enemy fleets.

While game A can be done quickly (depends on how good you are at Battleships), Game B is the speedy one. The average time for me to destroy an enemy fleet on that is about 1 minute 20 seconds - allowing for 5 seconds on the intermediate menus it can be 100% completed - with a high score rating - in 4 minutes 15 seconds. If you sink the enemy sub, then it can go even faster (Enemy sub sunk = instant win against that fleet)

Funny thing is, even though it's such a short game, I still play it regularly after all these years. Very simple gameplay, but so damn effective at what it is.
Where logic won't work, I will

fahrenheit1987

Post by fahrenheit1987 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:13 am

Knight Orc by Level 9 on the Spectrum.

I think they'd introduced a new interpreter/game engine which made the game (a) very easy to map because it was something like a 10x10 square, and (b) the puzzles seemed easier than usual with a reliance on telling a load of characters all to do the same thing at the same time.

I finished it in 2 days and felt pleased with myself but a bit disappointed.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:19 pm

Datura on PSN and Dear Esther can both probably be run through in less than a hour, if you know exactly where to go and what to do, and don't stop to look at stuff or anything.

Which all sort of misses the point completely...

It depends on what the game is. Short doesn't mean bad, just as long doesn't mean good. Some of my favorite shooters can be 'finished' in minutes, as in you are plonked back at level 1 with the attack waves getting slightly harder or faster or both. But they have years of replay value to me!

Yes, I do like Dear Esther and have replayed it much more than any FPS game :mrgreen:
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Prof Mango B Coconut

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:38 pm

GarryG wrote:Datura on PSN and Dear Esther can both probably be run through in less than a hour, if you know exactly where to go and what to do, and don't stop to look at stuff or anything.

Which all sort of misses the point completely...

It depends on what the game is. Short doesn't mean bad, just as long doesn't mean good. Some of my favorite shooters can be 'finished' in minutes, as in you are plonked back at level 1 with the attack waves getting slightly harder or faster or both. But they have years of replay value to me!

Yes, I do like Dear Esther and have replayed it much more than any FPS game :mrgreen:
On my first play through, I had a fervent hope that the end of Dear Esther would be like this*:
Dear Donnelly,

I faked the whole accident, you boring bastard.

That's the real reason I left ya. You bored me to tears, with yer constant censored. censored off. Yer opinions were meaningless and wrong.

censored.
*Best read in a Northern Irish or Scottish accent.
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:59 pm

Prof Mango B Coconut wrote:
Dear Donnelly,

I faked the whole accident, you boring bastard.

That's the real reason I left ya. You bored me to tears, with yer constant censored. censored off. Yer opinions were meaningless and wrong.

censored.
*Best read in a Northern Irish or Scottish accent.
LOL,

I have a Scottish accent, I'm Scottish :lol:
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog