When something just dies :(

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

DPrinny

When something just dies :(

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:50 pm

Any games or bits of tech you have had just die on you?

Today, my NES clone mini NES type thing, dont see them about often

In the past
Geomon 2 (N64) cart just wont work
My "Bloody useful" multi adapter, it kinda went up in smoke
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

jdanddiet

Re: When something just dies :(

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:53 pm

I must be fortunate, it's never happened to me :)
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:04 pm

The LCD display on my Amidar flip-up tabletop game thing has decided not to work anymore, even with fresh batteries. Bah.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:10 pm

I've had systems die, but I don't really have dead systems - just ones I haven't fixed yet.

Had an Acorn Electron with a faulty ULA socket so I replaced it. Game Gear's with dead caps, replaced them. Brought a Jaguar back to life by replacing the voltage regulator.....

Currently have a Saturn with a non-working power supply. I'll fix it eventually though.
LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:28 pm

4 Xbox 360's. Out of all the gaming systems I've had over the years those are the only ones that have broken down. Friggin Microsoft :evil:

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Couple of Megadrives. Ditto PS2

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:04 pm

My Tetris Attack SNES cart just refused to work one day and has stayed like that ever since.

shiffy

Post by shiffy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:17 pm

I've been fairly fortunate in that I've only had 1 Xbox 3360 give me the RROD. But in just the last few weeks I've tried loading up a couple of older 360 games (namely Mass Effect 1 & PGR4) and the games just fail to install to the hard drive, giving a "can't read disc .... clean the disc" type message. This is despite both discs being IMMACULATE without scratches.

I've got a US SNES that has trouble with any game that involves Mode 7. If there's no Mode 7, the games are fine. Yet most of my fave games (Contra, F-Zero are 2 that spring instantly to mind) just display a garbled mess these days. With electrics, I've always thought "it either works or it doesn't, there's no in-between". Well, this is in-between! ...... If anybody has any ideas what the problem might be, please advise!

Not me personally, but a friend of mine owned a Panasonic Q + it's Gameboy Player. Prior to us packing it away when he moved house it worked. It was unpacked 3 weeks later & set up again. Panasonic Q was absolutely fine, whereas the Q's Gameboy player never worked again. I know he was fairly gutted about it and ending up selling the Q Gameboy player for "scrap value"

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:59 pm

The only console to blow up on me was my PS3 about 2 months ago...awful designs cooling nightmares

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:48 pm

Had the usual problems with caps in a Game Gear, PC Engine GT, and an Electron that needed a bit of soldering.

But all pale into absolute insignificance with the gut wretching failure of my much prized PC Engine LT, which worked happily for a few years until one day it was turned on, only to have a garbled picture, and then nothing, seems to have burned through it's ribbon cable, it is the only machine that presently does not work, and is unlikely to again. :(

James A

Post by James A » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:51 pm

My Xbox 360 last Saturday. The power pack blew in a hail of smoke and flames blowing something in the 360 so it can't output plus the HDMI port 1 on my TV. Taking the power pack outside it looked like the traps they used in Ghostbusters :D

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:57 pm

Bought my X-Box 360 five years ago and it still works fine.
Red ring of Death is a thing I have never experienced.
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:51 am

Gibberish Driftwood wrote:Bought my X-Box 360 five years ago and it still works fine.
same, no 360 problems
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:14 am

DPrinny wrote:
Gibberish Driftwood wrote:Bought my X-Box 360 five years ago and it still works fine.
same, no 360 problems
The only console I've ever had die on my was my 360. My original "Premium" system RROD'd 3 months out of the extended warranty :evil:

And do you know why it lasted that long? Because I took care of it. Made sure it had plenty of room to breath. Kept it dust free. And my reward? An £80 repair bill. Would MS even consider waiving the repair bill? No. Even though the thing was known as a faulty piece of shoddy dog's mess. Thanks MS. Great customer relations there.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:18 am

These days you can get a S/H one for that price

Ive had PCs (and harddrives with the stuff on) stop working on me whenever I try to make a certain music video fusion, (Heaven and hells Bible black and the hentai Bible black fusion)