What's your favourite arcade game?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

DirkTheDaring

Re: What's your favourite arcade game?

Post by DirkTheDaring » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:18 pm

My favourite arcade game has got to be Dragon's Lair because laserdisc is awesome :lol:

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:58 am

Bomb Jack. It's always the first thing I fire up on a new installation of MAME.

neopocketman

Post by neopocketman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:42 pm

New Rally-X. Make two enemy cars hit each other at the last moment is priceless.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:54 pm

Gauntlet... I remember the first time I tried it, some big kid who was absolutely brilliant at it purposefully got me killed... censored!
Anyone mention Qbert? And also their was one with a genie lookin fella who shot fireballs... can't remember the name... but the machine was broken and always had 99 credits!
I also loved Ms.Pacman, Daytona... I do not love track and field, i broke my thumb on it!

Provvidenza

Post by Provvidenza » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:57 pm

DirkTheDaring wrote:My favourite arcade game has got to be Dragon's Lair because laserdisc is awesome :lol:
The gameplay gets a lot of ridicule these days, but when Dragon's Lair first hit the arcades everyone was in awe at the cartoon graphics, at the time simply amazing!
sirpigmeat wrote:Gauntlet
Ahh nearly forgot that one, incredibly fun and addictive action D&D game, that ate all my cash. :)
GB COLOR, GBA SP, MD PAL, SF NTSC-J, SNES PAL, PS1 MOD, PSone PAL, SATURN NTSC-J, SATURN PAL, N64 NTSC-J, N64 PAL, DREAMCAST PAL, PS2 MOD, GAMECUBE NTSC-J, GAMECUBE PAL, Wii PAL, XBOX 360E PAL.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:11 am

R-Type, Time Pilot and Raiden II are great games, and easily emulated. Trigon and Gunbird I & II are great vertical shoot-em-ups to try. For horizontal shooters, there are the stunning-looking Tengai and Progear.

But there are some things in the arcade that just cannot be reproduced at home - the feeling of sitting in the full Star Wars cockpit cabinet, and the motion of Space Harrier and Power Drift machines. Although Space Harrier is still a good game on its own.

Just a note that with racing games like Super Hang-On you may be better off playing a good home conversion rather than the original, as it's a real trial getting analogue controls to work in any sort of playable fashion with MAME.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:18 am

early 90's and would have to be super off road, pretty sure it was in a corner at the arcade at warner's cinema in bury about the sort of era I started going places with my mates.

it had a little steering wheel and possibly pedals for each player, and a button like on a bandit machine for the nitro

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:43 am

die hard arcade
double dragon 1 and 2
robocop 2
time crisis
x-men vs street fighter(prefer it over marvel vs capcom cause its the first oen i played}
This guy are sick

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:13 am

stayAwhile wrote:robocop 2

We're all entitled to our opinion, and I remember playing this on holiday in Tenerife simply because I only had two choices, that or Puzzle Bobble. But I am really surprised to find it in anyone's shortlist of favourite arcade games.

I don't mean to sound like I'm devaluing your opinion, but I'm curious... why Robocop 2 over, say, Robocop 1? You've simply caught me by surprise with that particular choice.

Your other choices are quite diverse in comparison, Die Hard Arcade is a great beat 'em-up, and it swallowed a fair few 50ps of mine when I first discovered it in Blackpool, Double Dragon also classic (2 less so, but still a decent game), Time Crisis will always go down as a classic, and unfortunately I never really got into 2D one-on-one beat 'em-ups as much as most, so I can't pass comment on X-Men vs Streetfighter compared to any other...

But I still can't get over seeing Robocop 2 in this thread. Sorry.
ImageImage

Bermondsey Bob

Post by Bermondsey Bob » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:38 am

Whenever I fire up MAME, I'll always play the same few games before I have a nosey around for anything different, so I guess those are my favorite games.

WWF Superstars
WWF Wrestlefest
Ghosts N Goblins

Those are the 3 games I'll always play. I actually had my best game of GnG last night on Xbox360's Capcom Arcade Cabinet as I got to the floating platforms of level 2 on one credit! I've never got that far before!

I'm also very fond of the old Laser games. I play Dragon's Lair at least once a week. Normally on my iPod touch (best 69p I've ever spent) and I also love Super Don Quix-Ote which is a game you rarely see mentioned anywhere.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:12 pm

Mortal kombat was everywhere when I was a Jr school pupil in the 90s 1 and 2 were fantastic 3 was still great but 2 was better but I never to go to got to play 4 till I was in high school when I found a home port in 2004 and still prefer it to deadly alience on ps2 apart from mk time crisis was another arcade favrate at many of my local arcades unfortunatly to play my all time faverates like die hard and double dragon I had to travel further afeild
This guy are sick

ciderman

Post by ciderman » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:46 pm

Dodonpachi,
Robotron,
Asteroids,
Bubble Bobble

But not necessarily in that order
Colecovision under repair! Superior Donkey Kong incoming!!

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:37 pm

Fishsta wrote:
stayAwhile wrote:robocop 2

We're all entitled to our opinion, and I remember playing this on holiday in Tenerife simply because I only had two choices, that or Puzzle Bobble. But I am really surprised to find it in anyone's shortlist of favourite arcade games.

I don't mean to sound like I'm devaluing your opinion, but I'm curious... why Robocop 2 over, say, Robocop 1? You've simply caught me by surprise with that particular choice.

Your other choices are quite diverse in comparison, Die Hard Arcade is a great beat 'em-up, and it swallowed a fair few 50ps of mine when I first discovered it in Blackpool, Double Dragon also classic (2 less so, but still a decent game), Time Crisis will always go down as a classic, and unfortunately I never really got into 2D one-on-one beat 'em-ups as much as most, so I can't pass comment on X-Men vs Streetfighter compared to any other...

But I still can't get over seeing Robocop 2 in this thread. Sorry.
I was such a sucker for anything robocop in the 1990s and for me rc2 was an addictive game not as good as rc3d though
This guy are sick

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:20 am

stayAwhile wrote: I was such a sucker for anything robocop in the 1990s and for me rc2 was an addictive game not as good as rc3d though
I can relate to that... probably watched the Robocop films more than any other.

For me, though, the first Robocop arcade game was far superior. But as I've said before, the world would be boring if we all shared the same opinion.
ImageImage

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:36 am

Most Played: Double Dragon
Favourite shooters that I was not very good at: 1942, Tiger Heli and Flying Shark
Favourite Sports: Track and Field, tekhan world cup? (the one with a trackball)
Guily Pleasures: Pheonix, Tron

Overall Favourite would be Kung Fu Master, simple yet quite challenging.

Honoury mention: Battlezone (Stand up cab), Gauntlet, Outrun