Virtual Reality Reborn (Oculus Rift) - Who's excited?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DoraemonTheCat

Virtual Reality Reborn (Oculus Rift) - Who's excited?

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:18 pm

In the mid 90's, one of the supposed big new emerging technologies was that of Virtual Reality. The promise of being fully immersed in true game-worlds was very exciting and the potential (due to the advanced hype) seemed un-limited.

Sadly, although lots of VR machines were talked about - a couple were even released in arcades, and some companies had prototypes in the works (including SEGA), due to the limitations of technology at the time and the cost factors - they never really filled the true potential that was promised and the idea died a very early death. Roll on 10 years, and now we have just had a preview (at E3) of one of the first major contenders - The Oculus Rift

Here is a news feature I found (with many singing it's praises) :

Virtual reality helmets never quite caught on in the Nineties - largely because they were the size of deep sea diver's helmets, and left you seasick, headachey and feeling like you might go blind.

A new headset, Oculus Rift, might well be the gadget that sees "VR" finally catch on.

Testing it at this week's E3 gaming show in Los Angeles, it's a genuinely dizzying experience... in a good way.

CCP games, makers of the hit online game Eve Online, showed off a demo of a space shoot 'em up, EVR.

The goggles - around the size of ski goggles, with two screens directly in front of your eyes, fit snugly over your head, and you're immediately in the cockpit of a spacecraft.

You steer using a joypad, and move your head to look around as you fly. It's astonishingly immersive - and surprisingly easy to get to grips with. After a few moments of vertigo, your brain accepts it totally, and you're suddenly swooping through an asteroid field firing missiles at other players.

At a show loaded with over-the-top gaming technologies, EVR was one of the most instantly impactful - adding a new layer of immersion no super-powered graphics chip could match.

After three minutes, you do feel slightly wobbly - but no more so than walking out of a 3D film at the cinema.

The 3D screens completely cover your field of vision, with tall, iMAX-style screens, rather than the usual rectangles.
There is no escape - and no looking down to remind yourself where the ground is. Trying to stand up is an uncomfortable experience.

Once sat down, though, the goggles are stunning - better, bolder and bigger than any 3D cinema screen or TV, without an ‘edge’ to bring you back to reality.

You’re inside the video game - lunging forward with your head to move forward, with phone-style accelerometers telling the system what you’re doing.

It doesn’t look dignified - but you’re the one with the techno-goggles on, so you don’t care. Rift still has no confirmed price or release date - but more and more game companies are making demos for the device, so it is most definitely coming...

So, how much of an impact on gaming do you think the new wave of VR tech could have?

If there are two examples of game-worlds that I would love to experience via Virtual Reality, it would be Doom II and Fallout 3

Misery

Re: Virtual Reality Reborn (Oculus Rift) - Who's excited?

Post by Misery » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:01 am

I like the concept of the thing....

....but I dont like that it's use is likely to be almost entirely in the realm of FPS games (which I tend to loathe with a passion).

Such an interesting product but..... yeah, it's looking like it's not going to be the most versatile device. So very, very many games just would not work with that sort of idea.

Doesnt stop it from being cool, though. I wont buy one, but I'm interested in seeing how it sells over time.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:13 am

I'm excited.

This will be awesome. Normally I'm not interested in peripherals. Kenect, what ever the Sony one was, Wii controllers, Dance Mats it's all balderdash as far as I am concerned. That said, Oculus Rift will be the greatest thing ever made ever. Ever. Is my prediction. That is all.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:15 am

It didn't work then and it won't work now, crap.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:14 am

Misery wrote:I like the concept of the thing....

....but I dont like that it's use is likely to be almost entirely in the realm of FPS games (which I tend to loathe with a passion).
What makes you say that? The demo wasn't for a FPS? I think potentially it COULD work well for other genres, including driving games - although it would need additional accessories. It's almost a given for open world/sandbox games such as GTAIV, Oblivion etc, etc......

I can't ever see it being used for fighters or sports. But I think they could do a lot more than just FPSs

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:46 am

Would love to pick one up, been following this for a year, but seeing as the consumer unit won't hit until mid 2014 at the earliest I'm holding off any more excitement for it until closer the time.

Misery

Post by Misery » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:59 am

DoraemonTheCat wrote:
Misery wrote:I like the concept of the thing....

What makes you say that? The demo wasn't for a FPS? I think potentially it COULD work well for other genres, including driving games - although it would need additional accessories. It's almost a given for open world/sandbox games such as GTAIV, Oblivion etc, etc......

I can't ever see it being used for fighters or sports. But I think they could do a lot more than just FPSs

I say that because typically most games that utilize a first-person view ARE FPS games. Aside from certain RPGs, and stuff like Minecraft, I cant think of many that have that sort of view without being one. Doesnt help that most exceptions to this rule tend to be from smaller developers that wouldnt have the resources (or in many cases, wouldnt have the interest) to support such a device. Driving games might work, I suppose. But yeah, it seems like the sort of thing where you'd REALLY have to be into a certain sort of game in order to want to shell out the money for the thing.

That's not saying it's a bad idea, mind you. I may not like the genre myself, but FPS games and similar titles tend to be phenomenally popular (and phenomenally numerous).

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:01 am

Last weekend I got to have some hands on with this at the Insomnia49 LAN in Telford so thought i would quickly share my experince with it. The demo that was running was the rollecoaster one where you ride round a medieval castle on a wooden track. Also as one of units given to kickstarter backers it has the low res screens.

Unfortunately it only took 2 minutes before I was feeling sick and had to take the headset off. The sensation of moving about in a 3D world whilst your body is staionary is really quite surreal and even after taking the thing off it takes a few minutes to get acclimatised back to your surroundings. Doing some research on the net and it seems this really is the Oculus Rifts dirty little secret with so many people complaining of motion sickness, headaches and general uneasiness. I've never been motion sick from a game before or from watching anything for that matter.

When I say dirty little secret I dont mean that the devs are trying to sweep the issue under the carpet as they are actually acknowledging the situation and trying to figure the solution out before the retail version is launched. I'm more talking figuratively that this has been lauded as the next greatest thing in video games but it actually has quite a large issue that's affecting so many people.

Still, I'm looking forward to having another go at some point and will hopefully get to try one of the other demo's, one where you get to control, and even the HD prototype to see if there is any difference.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:22 am

I can't wait myself.

Already tried out the SD devkits and I liked what I saw. Will hopefully be testing out some early 1080p on Friday.

I recommend you guys search for cinema experience on oculus Rift. You'll be blown away. Not everything is FPS, Misery.

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:49 am

Apart from the reported motion sickness, I am really looking forward to see how we'll they do with this.

It looks like the technology is there for sure, I wonder will they adapt this for next gen consoles? Imagine the possibilities of games like Skyrim and Forza. How about a really good horror game from the first person perspective in the vein of Silent Hill or Alan Wake. The level of immersion would be incredible.

From what I've read just using the Oculus alone is slightly surreal as you're still aware of the outside world, however put on a decent pair if headphones and the experience is complete, you are in that world. So they say!

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:39 am

Would love to see this tied in with the fully free-roaming remake of Riven.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:57 pm

not excited and hate the name.

Misery

Post by Misery » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:55 am

samhain81 wrote:I can't wait myself.

Already tried out the SD devkits and I liked what I saw. Will hopefully be testing out some early 1080p on Friday.

I recommend you guys search for cinema experience on oculus Rift. You'll be blown away. Not everything is FPS, Misery.

So it can apparently be used for movies as well, eh? Interesting. ...not that I actually watch movies, but still.

I suppose it depends on how easy or not it is for developers, both large ones and indies, to make their games compatible with this. Heck, I wouldnt mind trying something like Minecraft with one of these if that could be made to work. Not that I need to be made to jump out of my seat by sudden skeletons any more than it already does...

World of Tanks (which I got into recently) would probably look good too, though that one would have a number of issues to overcome for something like this to be properly inplemented.

I personally would not be concerned about motion-sickness or headaches; I dont get motion sickness and I can stare into a damn Virtual Boy for 2 hours and not get a headache, despite the part with the color red blazing at you with the force of a thousand stars. No, my big problem would be potential neck/back issues. Both from the weight of the thing (it doesnt take much to set this off over a period of time) and the movement required. For someone as prone to that sort of thing as I am, that'd be a problem indeed.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:25 am

Well, not just FPS Misery, rather unsurprisingly, there is an "Adult Adventure" game in the works for it too.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... culus-rift

Natural progression of Adult entertainment I guess. Reminds me of the scene in Timecop with the guy using a similar headset to watch smut. Guess this is aimed at making part of you sick.

Balders

Post by Balders » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:56 pm

Sounds like it could really be something special, based on the reports from people who have tried it.

As with any new development, there are going to be people who dismiss it sight unseen, but those people are mouldy spuds. Mouldy spuds for life.