Best Covertapes of the 3 Sinclair Spectrum Magazines.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

yethboth

Best Covertapes of the 3 Sinclair Spectrum Magazines.

Post by yethboth » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:29 am

Which out of the 3 Sinclair Spectrum Magazines gave away the best games and demos on their covertapes?

Mine was the Crash Xmas Specials in which they used to put TWO :D Covertapes on their front cover which were crammed full of games and demos.

I also thought that Your Sinclair's Magnificent 7 and Sinclair User's Six Of The Best Covertapes were very good value for money as well. :D

What was everyone else's favourtite Sinclair Spectrum Covertapes?

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:44 am

I was always very much a Crash reader but did buy YS and SU on occasion for their cover tapes. The Crash tapes were always superb but did have the odd quality hiccup. I think my favourites were from June and July 1989 as the June tape had Micronaut One, Wanted: Monty Mole and Moon Cresta on it and the July tape had One Man & His Droid and A Whole New Ball Game which were all top games in my opinion. The Christmas tapes were excellent as well. However, YS came up trumps with Magnificent 7 #1 with Spindizzy, Bumpy and Mach 3, issue 87s Beaut Box which had Rebelstar on it and issue 90s Beaut Box which contained 3D Deathchase (which we all know as the number one game of all time according to YS :) ). Finally the SU ten pack that contained TLL, Cyclone, Alien Highway, H.A.T.E and Android was excellent value.

Overall though for sheer consistency I think Crash came top with YS a close second (Kaptain_Von prepares for a stoning from SU fans :) ).
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:29 am

I can't remember specifically the magazine but I got the most fun and the most play out of Batty, which was just an excellent game and one which I'd have happily paid at least budget price for alone.

Other than that was it YS that gave away the game called Dustin (I think, or Dusty). I enjoyed that one a great deal too.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:43 am

Batty was a very good giveaway game, I've also got one that's got all the Magic Knight games on, that's got to rank up there.
Splink!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:55 pm

Definately 'Batty'.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:54 pm

I remember when Crash started giving tapes with free games
the number of pages in the mag went down to about 16 :evil:
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:01 pm

Not when I used to get it. They were doing tapes for ages and still kept a high page count.

michaelf

Re:

Post by michaelf » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:45 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:I remember when Crash started giving tapes with free games
the number of pages in the mag went down to about 16 :evil:
I remember that issue. it was the first one Crash did with a boxed covertape. the page count went down to 32 pages (from about 90 from the previous issue).

I was an on-off Crash reader up to that point, then got every issue since then. I'd agree that overall, Crash had more 'good to bad' tapes with YS a very close second. After all, YS gave away Chaos, Batty, Rebelstar, Peking etc ... but also Vatman, Qarx, Syntax - all totally naff.

SU's Megatapes started off fairly good but when they ended up as 10 & 12 packs the quality of the games was quite poor OR they'd repeated stuff which had been on Crash/YS's tapes. Still, they had the odd gem like Flying Shark.

Just think, back in the hey-day of the 3 spec mags you could get on average 10 (or more) games for about £6!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:48 pm

But Crash was better with more pages and no tape

If I'd wanted old games,I'd have bought one of the many compilations going about
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:00 pm

Crash was the first magazine my parents bought when I had a Spectrum in December 1989. The January 1990 issue always has a special place for me, it contained an interview with the Oliver twins (who resembled the monkees in the early days) and a special crash edition of Treasure Island Dizzy. Subsequent issues rarely disappointed in the covertape department, combining special editions, demos and full games. Marvin makes a valid argument that it wasn't for everyone, but for someone who had not previously heard of Dynamite Dan, Eskimo Eddie, or Bobby Yazz it was fantastic.

In retrospect the magazine was awful. I can understand that they needed to reduce the number of pages to pay for the covertape, but why increase the page size to super A4?

michaelf

Re:

Post by michaelf » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:03 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:But Crash was better with more pages and no tape

If I'd wanted old games,I'd have bought one of the many compilations going about
True. And YS was also better without the covertape. Whether we knew it or not, liked it or not, at the time that's the way the Spectrum magazine market was going.

And by that point, if you wanted a newsstand Spec mag in the UK you couldn't get a mag without a covertape.

Which was a shame.

michaelf

Re:

Post by michaelf » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:06 pm

SirClive wrote:Not when I used to get it. They were doing tapes for ages and still kept a high page count.
Forgot about this point. Crash went to 32 pages for 1 issue, then up to 50 pages for about a year. They then went up to 66 pages around summer of 1991 which was around the same time that YS went down from appx 82 pages to 66.

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:09 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:But Crash was better with more pages and no tape

I loved the tapes, we were a poor northern family ( :cry: ) so £1.20 was all I could afford to spend on games, apart from the odd Mastertronic. I got all the crash tapes and then copied what I could off mates.

nwosteve

Post by nwosteve » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:23 am

The YS one that had How To Be A Complete B****** on it.

Had a really good homebrew game on it as well.

Hotly followed by the one with Rampage on it.

Did anyone like the music stuff that used to be on those tapes? I always thought they were a waste of time.
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:35 am

For me when all the mags started doing regular covertapes and the pages went down thats when i got more and more disinterested in them. Back in the day i of course loved Batty, a brilliant game but for me the best cover tape was the one level demo of Ikari Warriors.

Loved Commando and had been waiting for ages for this game, the one level demo i loved and i then had to wait patiently for the full game to come out