The worst gaming ideas ever?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:12 pm

Giving Shadow the Hedgehog a gun. Not too much damage done to the game itself but the damage it has done to the Sonic franchise.

Great Giana

Post by Great Giana » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:37 pm

dancing monster for C64 was pretty bad and pointeless...

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:06 pm

I remember on Game Network a few years back they were showing a presentation on a new driving game. But this wasn't any driving game like Gran Turismo, Ridge Racer...oh no, it was based on REAL driving. The spokesperson promoting this said it was to make people better drivers since the way it played was 100% like driving in real life. Now had that been me playing after 10-15 mins, I would have gone GTA or Burnout style as it would frustrate me like mad. The graphics were horrible too, they looked the same out of the highway code book.
I never saw or heard this game being released. Maybe its for the better or else future car games like \"Need For Speed\" would be renamed Need For Safe & Proper Driving\".

Elgin_McQueen

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:38 pm

sleeper77 wrote:I remember on Game Network a few years back they were showing a presentation on a new driving game. But this wasn't any driving game like Gran Turismo, Ridge Racer...oh no, it was based on REAL driving. The spokesperson promoting this said it was to make people better drivers since the way it played was 100% like driving in real life. Now had that been me playing after 10-15 mins, I would have gone GTA or Burnout style as it would frustrate me like mad. The graphics were horrible too, they looked the same out of the highway code book.
I never saw or heard this game being released. Maybe its for the better or else future car games like "Need For Speed" would be renamed Need For Safe & Proper Driving".
The realer the game the more tepting it would be to go mental.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:54 am

Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:08 am

I have Tokyo Bus Guide for my Dreamcast. And I enjoy it :oops:

Not that surprising really when you consider the success of the Densha De Go! series.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

final.fantasy.unlimited

Re:

Post by final.fantasy.unlimited » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:35 am

hey_jonny_park wrote:
BennyTheGreek wrote: :evil: Pokemon games
I have to admit that whilst I was in the anti-pokemon camp when little kids where getting all excited, once the excitment died down I had great fun on Pokemon Blue for the Game Boy.

But I see the annoyance if you're drawing attention to games having hundreds of pointless sequels which are really just stat upgrades.
It's true! Pokemon rules! People just can't get over the idea that once it was a hugely popular Gameboy game it actually became a show and a bag of potato chips and stuffed animals... Oh wait a second; I thought we were talking about FINAL FANTASY! That's right, FINAL FANTASY has much in common as far as "beyond the game" success like Pokemon! Who wants to trash talk FInal Fantasy? C'mon, the Crystal Chronicles anime series was much worse than an episode about Squirtle's step-mom.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue May 15, 2007 9:40 am

I love Sega but they had some of the worse ideas

1. The whole last minute bolt on 3D processor for the Saturn
2. The 32x debacle
3. The publicity campaign for the Saturn/Dreamcast
4. Pissing off Electronic Arts over the release date of the Saturn (it had terrible consequences throughout the life of the Saturn and the Dreamcast).

MikeHive

Post by MikeHive » Tue May 15, 2007 10:04 am

Zelda Majora's Mask, N64: Let's make a sequel to Ocarina of Time, one of the best epic explorable adventures ever, with a twist - it has a timer on it and you lose all your items every three 'game days!' (Read: Let's render the thing almost totally not worth playing).

Pokemon Stadium, N64: It's the same game you have on the Game Boy, but in 3D. Wow! Do you get to see your monsters actually fighting? No, they stand opposite each other and take it in turns to swipe the air while, ten feet away, the other monster does a 'pain' animation. Worth £60 oh yes indeed! (To the best of my memory, that price isn't exaggerated, because it came with the N64 Transfer Pak, a piece of junk that was totally useless for anything apart from PStadium).

Mario Party: The button-masher games. Ouch lawsuits! :shock:

Theme Park, SNES: What's the point of painstakingly constructing a successful theme park if someone forgot to put in a Save feature? It's not like you can use a password to get your park back after you reset :?
~Mike
www.bthive.co.uk :: Banjo Trilogy Hive

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue May 15, 2007 10:15 am

Do you get the option of going mental and just running over pedestrians though?
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue May 15, 2007 10:35 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:
Do you get the option of going mental and just running over pedestrians though?
I don't think there even are pedestrians.

It's actually a well programmed game (there's a demo, try it) but you do spend you time thinking "But... WHY?"
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Tue May 15, 2007 5:03 pm

Worst gaming ideas ever???? Not putting Street Fighter 3 on the European version of Street Fighter Collection on the PS2, forcing me to borrow an X Box to play it!

Oh, and Halo.

James Bond

Post by James Bond » Tue May 15, 2007 6:07 pm

I have Tokyo Bus Guide for my Dreamcast. And I enjoy it

I see this pop up every now and again on Ebay, been tempted by it, though is it hard to play, without a knowledge of Japanese language?
My HD DVD/Blu Ray Collection:

http://romeos.dvdaf.com/owned

Nightbreed

Post by Nightbreed » Tue May 15, 2007 7:02 pm

The guy who decided you needed to do a stupidly long sequence for the fatalaties in Mortal Kombat needs shooting. :P
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Tue May 15, 2007 7:12 pm

Nightbreed wrote:The guy who decided you needed to do a stupidly long sequence for the fatalaties in Mortal Kombat needs shooting. :P
Back, Forward, Back Low Punch - Mileena Stab Fatality

Up, Up, Block - Scorpion Toasty

Block, Block, Block, Low Punch - Jax Arm Rip

Block, Block, Block, High Kick - Kitana Blade

Back, Back, Down, Low Punch - Reptile Head Eat

Hold High Kick for 2 Seconds - Mileena Body Swallow

Forward, Forward, Forward, Low Kick - Kung Lao Body Slice

"Stupidly Long Sequence"??

Which Mortal Kombat game where you referring too then? Not MKII for sure :D
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik