The Last of Us

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

SoupDragon

Re: The Last of Us

Post by SoupDragon » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:33 pm

How far you in Shin? Ellie has been a live saver for me and compared to others ive been lumbered with is streets ahead. Im on the giraffe but now. Anyone else want to shoot them? :oops:

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:09 am

SoupDragon wrote:How far you in Shin? Ellie has been a live saver for me and compared to others ive been lumbered with is streets ahead. Im on the giraffe but now. Anyone else want to shoot them? :oops:
Were in the same place, Soup. I cant help thinking were getting towards the end now. I agree with you Ellie is one of the finest NPCs in gaming (though she can be played). More human than any other NPC I can think of in any other game an illusion I know created by voice acting and script but it is amazingly well done. The only other two NPCs in gaming that come close that I can think of off the top of my head are the horse from Shadow Of The Collosus or the young lady from Half-Life.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:27 am

I just completed it... brilliant, brilliant, brilliant :D
My play through time was 16hrs 52mins.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:47 am

gman72 wrote:I just completed it... brilliant, brilliant, brilliant :D
My play through time was 16hrs 52mins.
Is it a 10 though? :wink:

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:04 am

The game itself is an 8/10 game. But add the fantastic characterization, voice acting and storyline and just the overall finesse and polish and you've got a game that's as near to ten as dammit... ok, ok...
The final package, taken as a whole gets a resounding 9/10 from me. One or two tiny little quirks that are the only things that lift you from the immersion stop it from being a 10. A great, great video game with a moving, movie like story. :D

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:11 am

gman72 wrote:The game itself is an 8/10 game. But add the fantastic characterization, voice acting and storyline and just the overall finesse and polish and you've got a game that's as near to ten as dammit... ok, ok...
The final package, taken as a whole gets a resounding 9/10 from me. One or two tiny little quirks that are the only things that lift you from the immersion stop it from being a 10. A great, great video game with a moving, movie like story. :D
Yeah Id agree with this totally. I think even the haters would be silently impressed with this game and if you wait until the price drops to say £20, you have yourself a bloody good bargain.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:23 pm

SoupDragon wrote:How far you in Shin? Ellie has been a live saver for me and compared to others ive been lumbered with is streets ahead. Im on the giraffe but now. Anyone else want to shoot them? :oops:
That Science/Hospital with the clicker monkeys.. Mainly A group of crying Women who rip Joel's throat out... Elle's brilliant against normal men, with her jumping on their backs frenzied stabbing 1 hit kill thing/killing them with the gun.. She won't attack infected i.e i'm on the floor taking a ton of damage and she does nothing or that big fat thing that spits poison over you.. Though She will stealth kill the normal men.. Same with the little black kid when him and Joel are trapped behind the locked door with the Infected he sits in the corner rocking back and for looking up at the ceiling..

I assume there must be some relationship thing with how Elle reacts to you? As going off the beaten path you get press 'A' and the speech thing such as when Elle see's the arcade machines and wants to play them... Would giving Elle comics and interacting with her effect her behaviour to you? She has saved me a lot but doesn't seem to want to attack the Clickers or the fat thing I stead saying "What's wrong Joel"

The fat thing I Assume is a boss due to its 1 hit kill and the Insane amount of damage it takes to put it down?

Game is absolutely amazing probably my game of the year
Last edited by Shinobi on Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:28 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
It's good, but it won't be troubling Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch, Uncharted 2 or Motorstorm: Pacific Rift on my favourite PS3 exclusives list anytime soon, and I think Tomb Raider 2013 is a better game as well. :)[/quote]
See I think all those games you mention (with the exception of Uncharted 2 are not a patch on Last Of Us. Many of them are generic as hell, relying on pretty visuals (nino kuni) or Uncharted (Tomb Raider) to be a game in the first place. Still if that's what you like then that's what you like. I want a little more from my games and I feel that The Last Of Us delivers on that.

To me Last Of Us is a ten. It sets a new standard for narration in games that nothing else I've ever played comes close to. It has some pretty impressive game mechanics as well. Yes there are flaws, but as many feel there's no such thing as a perfect game I don't see that as being much of a barrier for it.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:36 pm

Will finally be able to pick it up on Wednesday (pay day) this week, damn you broken Hoover and dishwasher this month!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:46 pm

Uncharted is a generic tps wrapped up in fancy dan style. Well made but I found it rather dull when it should have been thrilling. Last of Us corrects that and gives you a wonderful balance between cinema and gameplay. 10/10 hands down.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:16 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:See I think all those games you mention (with the exception of Uncharted 2 are not a patch on Last Of Us. Many of them are generic as hell, relying on pretty visuals (nino kuni) or Uncharted (Tomb Raider) to be a game in the first place. Still if that's what you like then that's what you like. I want a little more from my games and I feel that The Last Of Us delivers on that.
Whereas I feel it delivers a little less. :? It's something we could argue about all day to be honest, although I think you saying that Ni No Kuni 'relies on pretty visuals' to even be a game is possibly the most bizarre generalisation I've seen any reviewer make about it (even those who don't like it so much and consider it too much of an old fashioned style JRPG).....you could maybe apply that logic to a title like Heavy Rain at a stretch, but Ni No Kuni arguably has a depth that The Last Of Us will never even come close to.

And Tomb Raider doesn't borrow any more from Uncharted than The Last Of Us does. The difference is that Tomb Raider is far more open ended in allowing you freedom to explore around the island more, climb cliffs, trees, even on top of buildings and presents you with a ton of interesting optional sidequests and challenges outside of the main campaign. Whereas The Last Of Us gives you (very) nice graphics, voice acting and a decent storyline (or maybe an excellent storyline for those of you who are bigger Walking Dead fans than I am), but funnels you from A to B in the most linear fashion imaginable from one samey stealth/combat sequence to the next...for instance, a section fighting infected earlier on in a school felt pretty much just the same as a section in a sewer later on...try to pick stealthily off the Runners without alerting the Clickers :| (although broken up by the odd quite interesting short sequence, such as where you have the tank style vehicle chasing you around for instance, and the bit I mentioned in the college in my last post).

The Last Of Us really isn't doing anything that games like Gears Of War haven't already done to death, asides from place more emphasis on stealth and focus on the kind of zombie apocalypse/infected storyline that seems to be in vogue at the moment. That's not a bad thing because I've massively enjoyed the Gears series for what it is. But what is isn't, is worthy of being awarded 10/10. Personal opinion only though.
nakamura wrote:Uncharted is a generic tps wrapped up in fancy dan style. Well made but I found it rather dull when it should have been thrilling. Last of Us corrects that and gives you a wonderful balance between cinema and gameplay. 10/10 hands down.
Uncharted is a third person action game rather than a third person shooter, isn't it? :? Has a fair bit of puzzle solving and having to learn how to navigate the environment, action, Tomb Raider style platformy bits, some stealth, and vehicle sections.

The Last Of Us *is* a third person shooter through and though with no platforming (Joel doesn't jump) and long-ish stretches of walking around barren disused/abandoned areas talking to Ellie and whichever other characters you meet along the way looking for items to scavenge, followed by a short stealth/combat scene, followed by a quick mop up of the area for any scavenge items you might missed, rinse, repeat, always with the game funneling you down a straight path to the next area.

I felt Uncharted 3 was a large step back from the previous 2 games as it sacrificed a lot of the action and exploration for linear cinematic sections (just walking around talking to other characters and looking at the scenery whilst being funneled down a linear path from one setpiece to the next). The Last Of Us is an evolution of this somewhat where you at least have to keep your wits about you (you can just suddenly stumble across a trap or a group of enemies without quite expecting it), but outside of it's story and dialogue, it's actual gameplay (for me) doesn't live up to the variety of Uncharted 2 at all.

I'm honestly starting to wonder if, say, Uncharted 2 kept the exact same game mechanics but had a similar storyline, characters and dialogue to The Last Of Us instead, would you two still be thinking The Last Of Us was the superior game? :? Or that it was worth a 10 (or even 9) out of 10 if it had a storyline like Uncharted 3 instead?

tl;dr My overall opinion of storyline vs actual gameplay hasn't changed since last time :wink:
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:18 am

You can write as much as you like but I'm still not going to agree with you. :wink:

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:32 pm

I finally started playing this today and after the slow (but impressive) start I have been totally blown away by it. Naughty Dog are a very talented team, and have provided me with some of my most enjoyable game time this gen

Eat your nans pants

F-zero

Post by F-zero » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:00 am

I just completed this and i would award it a 10, its not perfect but when i consider all games i've played that are 9's this one is better than them all.

eeztheman

Post by eeztheman » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:37 am

A bit late to the party with this one, but I've now played this through to completion, it's certainly an impressive title, the best game I've played this year so far.

Even Mrs eeztheman stops what she is doing to watch this one, which must count for something, as she is not easily impressed with modern games.

I'd certainly give this a 9 out of 10 !