Dire games you HAVENT played but......

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

tux

Dire games you HAVENT played but......

Post by tux » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:08 am

....really want to?!

I was flicking through old C+VG and Gamesmaster mags a while back and became interested in the games that got such a bad score that i felt the need to find them and play.Im talking super bad...not low 40/30% but the rare few that stayed in single figures.

I bought Revolution X on ps1 the other day(operation wolf meets Areosmith?!?) and its 10% score was to be applauded :lol:

Anyone ever played Twin Goddesses on ps1? That was anouther below 10% game that looked great in the static pics?
Also Mirco Machines on the CD-I. It got 8% and i cant work out how a port which was praised on every other system could have fallen so far??

Has anyone else ever seen a game that they must play largely due to the horrific score?

ShadowNeku

Re: Dire games you HAVENT played but......

Post by ShadowNeku » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:17 am

Would quite like to play the Zelda CDi games, especially the one with the birds eye view where you play as Zelda.

I always thought Dark Castle looked pretty decent from game footage but according to anyone i've ever heard mention it, its an absolute abomination!
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

dste

Post by dste » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:16 pm

I wouldn't mind playing the Zelda CDi games myself, see how bad they are.

Also Superman 64, the way that everyone goes on about how bad it is just makes me want to play it more.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:22 pm

from what I saw at Revival, the zelda cdi games' reputation is not entirely justified...

for years I wanted to play rise of the robots cos I couldn't believe it would be that bad. It was.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:46 pm

jdanddiet wrote:from what I saw at Revival, the zelda cdi games' reputation is not entirely justified...

for years I wanted to play rise of the robots cos I couldn't believe it would be that bad. It was.
I have had a Cd-i for a few months now, and have been extremely impressed by how good some of the games are, by their reputation I was expecting nothing from the Zelda titles, but was pleasantly surprised by them, they are a mile away from the worst games in the world.

Rise Of The Robots however is very bad indeed, I can remember playing it at a computer fair in Olympia, just before it's release, this rep was going on about the superb graphics, and revolutionary gameplay, as I just lashed out with the same move, when he had finished, I told him what I think he already knew, that it was utter crap.

Now what I want to know is, why do I really want to play Turning Point every time I see it going for about a fiver or less, and why did I buy Blacksite, even after the developer laid into his own game?
Last edited by adippm82 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:51 pm

dste wrote:Also Superman 64, the way that everyone goes on about how bad it is just makes me want to play it more.
I bought it on here, think it was from JetSetWilly? for about 50p a couple of years back with the intent of finally trying this legendary awful game.

Haven't been quite able to bring myself to do it yet though, despite having had the N64 on a few times since then. :lol:
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:36 pm

adippm82 wrote:
jdanddiet wrote:from what I saw at Revival, the zelda cdi games' reputation is not entirely justified...

I have had a Cd-i for a few months now, and have been extremely impressed by how good some of the games are, by their reputation I was expecting nothing from the Zelda titles, but was pleasantly surprised by them, they are a mile away from the worst games in the world.

Rise Of The Robots however is very bad indeed, I can remember playing it at a computer fair in Olympia, just before it's release, this rep was going on about the superb graphics, and revolutionary gameplay, as I just lashed out with the same move, when he had finished, I told him what I think he already knew, that it was utter crap.

Now what I want to know is, why do I really want to play Turning Point every time I see it going for about a fiver or less, and why did I buy Blacksite, even after the developer laid into his own game?
Agreed really liked 'Zelda Wand of Gamalon' I think people slate it just because the 'Angry Video Nerd(the paint show pro cut scene's "I'm so hungry I could eat a whole Dodongo") and they try and appear cool no way is CDi Zelda the worst game ever.. Plays much better on a pad My CDI bust and I just bought one of some Woman on Ebay with 20 games so looking forward to actually playing Zelda again.. And that FMV space game I enjoyed as well Kether I think
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:46 pm

I was always curious to try the games that got dreadful scores in Crash magazine such as Howzat (11%), Voyage to the Unknown (9%) and Dr.What (17%).
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:15 am

jdanddiet wrote:I was always curious to try the games that got dreadful scores in Crash magazine such as Howzat (11%), Voyage to the Unknown (9%) and Dr.What (17%).
Yes, I have played all of those, also actually owned Realm Of Impossibility (11%) or the best one of all, Flight Path 737 (4%)

tux

Post by tux » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:13 am

adippm82 wrote:
jdanddiet wrote:, Flight Path 737 (4%)

Lowest score of all time? Anyone beat that?

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:55 am

adippm82 wrote:
jdanddiet wrote:I was always curious to try the games that got dreadful scores in Crash magazine such as Howzat (11%), Voyage to the Unknown (9%) and Dr.What (17%).
Yes, I have played all of those, also actually owned Realm Of Impossibility (11%) or the best one of all, Flight Path 737 (4%)
Realm of Impossibility isn't really that bad. It's just a lazy port of game that was already getting on a bit, and not exactly a graphical extravaganza to begin with. If you persist with it, it's actually quite good fun.

The rest are all pretty awful though. Voyage into the Unknown would usually be my pick for the worst game ever, for reasons that would be obvious for anyone who has ever attempted to play it.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:43 am

tux wrote:
adippm82 wrote:

I think it was certainly Crashes lowest score, here is the review in all it's glory

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/showmag. ... 600032.jpg

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:01 am

tux wrote:
adippm82 wrote:

I think Sega Power gave Rise of the Robots 3%, with extra points deducted for not sending them a review copy and rushing it out to the shops instead.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:39 am

There are games that have had review scores of 0%. Here's one of the infamous Stalin vs Martians:

http://www.gamerstemple.com/review.asp?r=1747

Still, the way video game review scores tend to be scaled, anything below about 50% might as well be considered a zero.

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:04 pm

I always wanted to play a game on the PS1 call 'Isnogoud', get it?

All I remember is it being what seemed like a really bad platformer and some dude on a magic carpet. I remember thinking the developers must be really taking the pi$$ if they expect people to buy a game even they, themselves know is terrible and have the balls to name it so in the title.